Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 25th March 2012, 05:11 PM   #1
David R

Default Cutlers resin...fail.

Today I had a go at making some cutlers resin compound to re affix the blade into my recent purchase, an Indo Persian khanjar. Not as easy at it seemed from the forums,
Various formulae perused, but all are variations on resin, beeswax and some sort of filler...charcoal, whiting, sand or fibre of various origin.
First attempt 2 parts frankincense (cheap Somali) 2 parts resin of unknown origin 1 part beeswax. Dreadfull fumes , burnt the teflon off the pan (not using a teflon lined pan again) and the dubious resin refused to melt. Experiment discarded, next attempt.
4 part cheap francincense, 1 part beeswax. Fumes, pleasant at first then noxious, bubbles and boiling but no complete melt of the resin, exp. discarded.
Lessons learned, not to use a teflon lined pan, I think that was the origin of the nastiest fumes, and check the resin is suitable. I think the first batch of unknown origin was probably a synthetic masquerading as natural, and I have my suspicions of the cheap frankincense.
I will try again sometime soon, getting this right will mean several projects can the be finished, but I might use a stove outside rather than indoors.
Any advice from people who have had success with this stuff very welcome.
David R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2012, 05:46 PM   #2
Rich

I would suggest using black epoxy resin; mix epoxy then add a drop or two of black ink mix more - looks like old cutlers resin, but holds a he$$ of a lot better.
Just a thought.

Rich S
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2012, 06:15 PM   #3
VANDOO
(deceased)

Talking

DANGER MAD SCIENTIST AT WORK HEE HEE!!,
I HAVE HAD SIMULAR EPISODES IN MY LIFE, OF SUCH MINI DISASTERS MEMORIES ARE MADE.
AROUND HERE THE POLICE MIGHT HAVE BEEN CALLED TO LOOK FOR A METH LAB BECAUSE OF THE FUMES.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2012, 06:20 PM   #4
Atlantia

Change the base. Try a mix using bitumen as a base resin. Solid, natural, you could get a chunk from anywhere that does tarmacing, most light builders will have it, roofers etc.
I'd be tempted to try mixing it with some very fine sawdust.

P.S. Do it outside and don't get any on your skin, watch the heat, wear goggles and gloves etc.
Atlantia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2012, 06:33 PM   #5
Tim Simmons

Sounds like you are using too high a heat and too quickly and burning the substances before melting into a usable substance. You sould not have any problems.
Use a gentle flame from a small spirit/meths burner or even a big spoon over a candle except a yellow flame will soot up. If you cannot find one work with embers of a fire like any native / jungleman.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2012, 09:37 PM   #6
katana

Perhaps using an 'un-known' resin is the problem ....impurities etc could affect the melting point. Pine pitch is often used and is nicer smelling Curious as to why your using frankincence, an aromatic?

Best
David
katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2012, 06:10 PM   #7
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by David R
Today I had a go at making some cutlers resin compound to re affix the blade into my recent purchase, an Indo Persian khanjar. Not as easy at it seemed from the forums,
Various formulae perused, but all are variations on resin, beeswax and some sort of filler...charcoal, whiting, sand or fibre of various origin.
First attempt 2 parts frankincense (cheap Somali) 2 parts resin of unknown origin 1 part beeswax. Dreadfull fumes , burnt the teflon off the pan (not using a teflon lined pan again) and the dubious resin refused to melt. Experiment discarded, next attempt.
4 part cheap francincense, 1 part beeswax. Fumes, pleasant at first then noxious, bubbles and boiling but no complete melt of the resin, exp. discarded.
Lessons learned, not to use a teflon lined pan, I think that was the origin of the nastiest fumes, and check the resin is suitable. I think the first batch of unknown origin was probably a synthetic masquerading as natural, and I have my suspicions of the cheap frankincense.
I will try again sometime soon, getting this right will mean several projects can the be finished, but I might use a stove outside rather than indoors.
Any advice from people who have had success with this stuff very welcome.

Salaams David R ~ I hope you survived the fumigation experiment Definitely down the garden well away from the house ya ! Rich has a good alternative there... Good luck with that...

We use a strange Glue. To fix the blade, Lakk is used (Tachardia Lacca ) from an insect secretion. Essentially it looks like small blocks/ sheets of black pitch and is imported from India and Pakistan. The molten pitch-like lakk is poured into the hilts cuff(tuq) and the heated blade is sturdily pressed home .

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote