Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 12th June 2017, 03:03 PM   #1
Miguel

Default Another Indonesian Parang sword

Hello Everyone, I need help in identifying the correct name, origin and age if possible of this sword. Unfortunately I don't have its scabbard and would appreciate an image of a simple one as I would like to attempt to make one.
The O/L is 36 ins with a 29 ins lg x 1.5 ins wide, twin fullered blade. I am not sure whether the hilt is horn or wood, I think the former, it is nicely carved at the pommel end and has a silver collar and guard. Thanking you in advance.
Regards
Miguel
Attached Images

Miguel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2017, 04:51 PM   #2
kai

Hello Miguel,

You have an interesting pedang (type 3 according to Albert vZ) and I believe there is some nice pamor peeking out. The blade looks a bit unusual but these hilts do come with a bewildering variety of blades!

Based on the hilt, I believe this example originates from Sumatra (other hotspots are Lombok and Banjarmasin).

Quote:
Unfortunately I don't have its scabbard and would appreciate an image of a simple one as I would like to attempt to make one.
I apologize: Good examples from Sumatra usually do come with quite a bit of silver on the scabbard, too...

The minimum would be nicely selected wood for the main body of the scabbard with horn mouth piece (and, preferably, horn tip).

Quote:
I am not sure whether the hilt is horn or wood, I think the former, it is nicely carved at the pommel end and has a silver collar and guard.
Horn would be typical for these intricately carved Makara pommels; I can not verify from these pics though - any sharp close-ups?

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2017, 08:26 PM   #3
Sajen

Hello Miguel,

agree with the most Kai has written but I personally think that it is a Lombok pedang, see for comparison here: http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ghlight=pedang You can see there also how a scabbard look, it's simple constructed, two wooden halfs with silver bands. Your pedang is missing the thin silver sleeve around the middle part of the handle. I think that the handle is carved from horn, such a fine carving points to horn. Agree also with Kai that a polish and traditional warangan will show the nice lamination from the blade. Nice piece!

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2017, 09:13 PM   #4
Lee
EAAF Staff

Here is one with a simple scabbard from Lew's collection:
Attached Images

Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2017, 09:20 PM   #5
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee
Here is one with a simple scabbard from Lew's collection:
Hello Lee,

very nice example! Most examples I've seen coming with rather simple scabbards. In this thread are some other nice examples: http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ghlight=pedang

Regards,
Detlef
Old 13th June 2017, 07:55 PM   #6
Miguel

Horn would be typical for these intricately carved Makara pommels; I can not verify from these pics though - any sharp close-ups?

Regards,

Unfortunately not but I can take some and post them for you to look at. Thank you Kai for your informative reply.

Thank you Detlef for your reply and link, most informative, the scabbard is definitely more simple to make. Would you mind enlightening me on what you mean by a "traditional Warangan" please.

Thanks Lee for your input, much appreciated.

Regards
Miguel
Old 13th June 2017, 08:08 PM   #7
Miguel

Thank you Detlef for your reply and link, most informative, the scabbard is definitely more simple to make. Would you mind enlightening me on what you mean by a "traditional Warangan" please.

Sorry Detlef and Lee I got your replies mixed up my apologies.

Miguel
Old 15th June 2017, 03:47 PM   #8
Miguel

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai
Hello Miguel,

You have an interesting pedang (type 3 according to Albert vZ) and I believe there is some nice pamor peeking out. The blade looks a bit unusual but these hilts do come with a bewildering variety of blades!

Based on the hilt, I believe this example originates from Sumatra (other hotspots are Lombok and Banjarmasin).

I apologize: Good examples from Sumatra usually do come with quite a bit of silver on the scabbard, too...

The minimum would be nicely selected wood for the main body of the scabbard with horn mouth piece (and, preferably, horn tip).

Regards,
Kai
Hello Kai, pics as promised.
Regards
Miguel
Attached Images

Old 15th June 2017, 09:53 PM   #9
Sajen

Horn!
Old 15th June 2017, 10:11 PM   #10
kai

Smile

I agree with Detlef, that it's most likely horn. I am not ready to make a positive ID from these pics - some gentle cleaning, especially of the crevices, may be in order...

Still, what can be seen of the structure and the wear is consistent with horn which was most likely to begin with.

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2017, 09:11 PM   #11
Athanase

Hello,

I have a very similar saber, also without scabbard.
The handle is in horn, covered with silver embossed and gilded, and a base in coper alloy (Suassa?). The blade, flexible, is made of laminated steel (or pamor?) and measures 77.5cm.
Overall length: 94cm

I wanted to know what is the red wood of the sheaths of the previous links?
Attached Images

Athanase is offline   Reply With Quote