Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 5th April 2007, 11:02 AM   #1
Marcokeris

Default new keris magazine

There is another keris magazine: keris pusaka
It is full of colour photos, but the quality of of photo and paper is better in the other magazine: "Pamor".
About articles i don't know bahasa but pamor magazine seems to have article more in topic.
Attached Images

Marcokeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2007, 10:02 PM   #2
Battara
EAAF Staff

Ah, if I only knew Bahasa!
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2007, 12:03 AM   #3
Alam Shah

Battara, tell you what... You'll buy the magazine for me and I'll translate it for you.
Alam Shah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2007, 01:16 PM   #4
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Talking Translation

Do you take PayPal Shahrial .?
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2007, 04:39 PM   #5
Alam Shah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick
Do you take PayPal Shahrial .?
I believe I do.
But seriously, I need someone who could supply me with this and PAMOR magazine on a regular basis. Anyone?
Old 7th April 2007, 04:48 AM   #6
A. G. Maisey

Over the last couple of weeks I have had the opportunity to read the three issues of PAMOR, and one issue of KERIS. I believe another issue of KERIS is out now, but I have not yet seen it.

KERIS is produced on lower quality paper than PAMOR, but there is a very considerable price difference in the two publications.

I'm going to sound like a wet blanket, and I would ask you all to bear in mind that what I shall now say is my personal opinion, and the opinions of others could well be different.

I would not buy either of these magazines on a regular basis. In the three issues of PAMOR I found only one article of interest, and that had some substance to it.

KERIS I leafed through , speed read the beginning of a couple of articles, and passed on the rest.

Both these magazines are the sort of thing that I would want to look through first before buying.

My recommendation would be to save your money and put it towards Haryono Haryoguritno's big book on keris, which is a true delight. Just the quality of it and the quality of photos and items photographed is sufficient to make you feel rich, even if you're not.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2007, 05:42 AM   #7
Alam Shah

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey
... I would not buy either of these magazines on a regular basis. In the three issues of PAMOR I found only one article of interest, and that had some substance to it.

Both these magazines are the sort of thing that I would want to look through first before buying.

My recommendation would be to save your money and put it towards Haryono Haryoguritno's big book on keris, which is a true delight. Just the quality of it and the quality of photos and items photographed is sufficient to make you feel rich, even if you're not.
Hi Alan,

Thanks for the feedback. Personally, for PAMOR magazine, I found some of the articles interesting. Most are written in the mindset of the general javanese. Different views and beliefs which one might find interesting in itself.

For those of us whom already have Haryono's wonderful book, any others to recommend?
Old 7th April 2007, 04:16 PM   #8
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey
I have been very interested in this book since it was first mentioned in the very first post here on Keris Warang Kopi. At that time it was suggested that an English edition was in the works so i held off. Does anyone have any info on this? If it is not going to happen i would buy the Indonesian version, but if it then comes out in English...
I wouldn't want to buy this rather expensive book twice.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2007, 04:23 AM   #9
Alam Shah

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
... If it is not going to happen i would buy the Indonesian version, but if it then comes out in English... I wouldn't want to buy this rather expensive book twice.
If it's me... I'll buy the Indonesian version, first. When the English version comes out, sell the Indonesian version and buy the English version. You'll lose out on shipping cost, but intangibly would have a headstart in absorbing the knowledge... rather than waiting...
Old 8th April 2007, 04:38 AM   #10
A. G. Maisey

A further comment on PAMOR.
There are lot of general interest articles, that, as Shahrial has said, could be of value in assisting with an understanding of present day cultural background, for somebody who has not had much contact with Javanese society and culture. From the point of view of a person who is a part of this culture, there would also be a lot of interest in this magazine.However, I feel that the more deeply any person was immersed in the specific culture of the keris, the less such a person might find to be of interest in PAMOR.

In any case, its a nicely produced magazine.

My comments reflect my personal opinion only, and since my particular field of interest in the keris is fairly tightly focussed, it is only to be expected that a magazine produced for a general readership will not have much in it to interest me.

I haven't heard anything about an English edition of The Big Keris Book, but I suppose it could happen I think the sponsor of the book is Bank Central Asia, so, I guess it will probably come down to whether they can see a commercial advantage in sponsoring an English language edition.

David, you comment that you do not want to buy this book twice. A number of my friends have had difficulty in even buying it once. They have repeatedly sent emails to the nominated sellers of the book, but it seems that none of these nominated sellers wish to engage in dealings with anybody outside Indonesia. The only reason I have a copy is because a friend gave me a copy. Even in Solo its not the easiest thing in the world to get a copy. You can't walk into a bookshop and buy one. You need to contact the local distributor, who seems to be pretty much unapproachable, and who needs to approached by way of a network of friendships.
I am coming to the opinion that this book was really only produced for consumption within Indonesia. I do not think that the people involved in its production really want to see it on the world stage. Which is a pity, because it really is a wonderful production. This is not to say it is without fault, and it has already been subjected to some criticism in Indonesia, but I myself would hesitate to criticise it simply because its magnificence far outweighs any carping criticism that might be able to be levelled at it.
Old 30th April 2007, 12:37 AM   #11
Alam Shah

Default April Edition (No.2), KERIS magazine

The April edition (No.2) of the KERIS magazine is out. In it, there are some Yogyakarta's Kraton (palace) pieces, with some commentary of the pieces.

The featured keris, Keris Tamansari is another one to behold and would make a nice discussion piece in the Golden Keris.

Other notes-worthy articles includes, a nice but short article about pamor beras wutah. The coverage of the burning-down of the Istana Pagaruyung (Minangkabau Palace), by a lightning strike on 27 Feb 2007, a lot of pusakas were lost that day, and quite a number of other short articles.

Marco, I see that you've got your copy.

Last edited by Alam Shah; 30th April 2007 at 01:06 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 30th April 2007, 09:11 AM   #12
A. G. Maisey

I read the new edition of "KERIS", I think, two weeks ago.

My opinion remains unaltered.

Regarding the possibility of an English edition of The Big Keris Book.

Nobody I have spoken with in Solo has heard of this possibility, and one person amongst these people is in a position where he should have known if an English edition was on the program.

What I did hear was that there is a desire to publish similar books to "Keris Jawa" that would deal with Balinese, Bugis, Sumatran, and other keris. The problem seems to be that the collectors who own the necessary top drawer examples of these other keris have been less than cooperative in promises to make pieces from their collections available for photographs.

One very high level collector was mentioned as being quite willing to allow his collection pieces to be photographed, provided he recieved an (apparently) extortionate level of royalties.

I feel that bearing in mind all factors, the Indonesian language edition of "Keris Jawa" may be all we will ever see. I hope I'm wrong, but that's the way I read it.
Old 30th April 2007, 01:16 PM   #13
Alam Shah

Alan, I believe it may not be suitable for you, but it is suitable for one whom have very little knowledge and exposure, like myself.

I tend to agree that these magazine are meant for local distribution.
As for the Big Keris Book, it doesn't look good for the English version...hmmm.

David, in this case, you should go ahead with the Indonesian version. Coupled with a good Javanese-English dictionary, it should be readable. I'm sure Alan can recommend a good dictionary.
Old 30th April 2007, 04:15 PM   #14
Boedhi Adhitya

Regarding the English version of Keris Jawa: antara Mistik dan Nalar, I've asked the Secretary General of SNKI Mr. Wiwoho Basuki personally on 22 April, and he said the translation is 'in progress'. The chairman of PT Indonesia Kebangganku, Mr. Rudy Pesik, as the publisher, also said so, last year. Sooner or later, I believe, the English Version would be published, as one of the aims of PT Indonesia Kebangganku (as it's name implies) is to introduce Indonesian artwork internationally. But everything goes very slow down here, so for those who reallty wish to have the English Version, please be patient, a lot...

The Keris and Pamor magazines, while it discuss the same subject (that is, keris or wesi aji), have a very different approach. The Keris Magazine's discussion tends toward the cultural aspect or stories of keris and any other news about traditional culture. Most of Keris reporters are not knowledgeable in tosan aji world, and many of the editor came from former Tempo News Magazine. Thus, Keris' content would be more general and more 'entertaining'.

Pamor, on the other hand, published by Panji Nusantara, a Jakarta-based keris collector organization which is trying to open branch nationwide. Most of Pamor editor are keris 'professional', that is, those who make living from keris/tosan aji. The editor put heavy emphasize on technical or historical aspect of keris. Ones may learn something, but use it with (a lot of) precautions.

Alam Shah, the pictures of Kraton Yogyakarta's pieces were taken from Kraton Jogja, History and Cultural Heritage, the official book regarding Kraton Yogyakarta. The pictures, which were inverted in the book, had already corrected in Keris Magazine, but the caption remains false. The pictures of K.K Purbaniyat should be K.K. Toyatinaban, and vice versa.
Boedhi Adhitya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2007, 04:49 PM   #15
Alam Shah

Hi Boedhi, thank you for the timely update.
In that case, David... hold your horses... bear with it a little longer.

Thanks again. I will correct the labels in the magazine.
Old 30th April 2007, 11:51 PM   #16
A. G. Maisey

Well, Pak Boedhi, I certainly hope you are right.

I got back home from Solo on Saturday. While I was in Solo I spoke with a number of people in the keris trade, and with well connected collectors. I did not speak with Bp. Rudy Pesik, I do not personally know him, and from all accounts he is just a little difficult to gain personal access to.However. one of the people I did speak with counts himself as a close friend of Pak Rudy, and in turn, he is a close, long time friend of mine. My friend's comment was something along the lines of :- "Yes, well, there are always many plans. If an English edition ever does come out, I do not think I will see it." My friend is 64, and in good health.

I hope my friend is wrong, and that you are right.

In respect of the magazines, not one of my friends in Solo has purchased a copy of either magazine after the first of each, and some did not purchase even the first.Their opinions are about the same as mine, but several people were very much more scathing in their criticism, than I would care to be.
Old 9th May 2007, 01:16 PM   #17
ganjawulung

Default Keris and Pamor

I've read the three editions of Keris, and also Pamor. The main story of newest edition of Keris, (published in April), is about The Dawn of Cirebon Palace (Kingdom). What suprised me, is the foto of pusakas of Cirebon. The photographer (I heard, that he is a National Geographic Photographer, hired especially for the main story) took photos of various forms of old Kudi (or Kujang, the West Java people often call them).

I had been once there, in Cirebon, visited the old palace and the museum where the Kudis are. The Kudis are closed in the cupboard. But the photographer was able to take photos of the Kudis, using special instrumen. Probably small lense you can put through keyhole of a cupboard. So we can see the various forms of Kudi, original Kudi from the old Royaume of Pajajaran -- the ancestor of Cirebon. That's great.

If I may compare the two magazines, Keris magazine tends to report: keris in a broad view, in order to take attention of Indonesians who don't even bother their unique heritage of keris. It is no wonder, Mr Wiwoho Basuki Tjokrohadiningrat (one of the senior board of editor) is the no 1 person in Indonesia Keris Association (they call the organization, SNKI Secretariat of National Keris Indonesia. This organization is the secretariat of around 30 paguyuban or associations on keris lovers).

The Pamor magazine, published by one of the association, Panji Nusantara in Jakarta. (Panji Nusantara also one of SNKI members). Pamor is more technical than Keris. Both of them have their own targets, their own aims, and audience. Pamor especially for masyarakat (community) of keris, and Keris is meant for masyarakat keris and also people who pays attention on keris.

Keris is more entertaining. But good too for keris lover. Every edition they put "Keris Bulan Ini" or "Kris of the Month". As if Playboy Magazine: Model of the Month. Also "Kawruh" or knowledge on keris, like what is pamor beras wutah, or pamor udan mas (rain of gold?).

Pamor has their own style. Sometimes, too technical and too difficult to understand by non-Indonesians. But anyway, both of them encourage the keris world in Indonesia. As you know, many Indonesian even "throw" keris in the rubbish because of different belief (musyrik). The image of keris in Indonesia, even almost identic with "dukuns" or paranormal, witch. So just throw them to the rubbish...

Anyway, the two magazine on keris, have their contribution in repromoting keris to the nation. Bravo..!
ganjawulung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2007, 01:44 PM   #18
David
Keris forum moderator

Ganja, thank you so much for that breakdown on these two new magazines. It is very interesting to hear of their different approaches on the subject. I sure do wish they made an English edition.
Keris tossed in the garbage would be such a shame....unless, of course, i was passing by on trash day.
Hopefully these magazines will raise the general level of understanding of the keris for the Indonesian people.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2007, 04:40 PM   #19
Alam Shah

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
Ganja, thank you so much for that breakdown on these two new magazines. It is very interesting to hear of their different approaches on the subject. I sure do wish they made an English edition.
Keris tossed in the garbage would be such a shame....unless, of course, i was passing by on trash day.
Hopefully these magazines will raise the general level of understanding of the keris for the Indonesian people.
It's sad but there is a certain truth in it, unfortunately.

The ritualistic elements are the ones that are conflicting with certain religious teachings. But that doesn't mean that one cannot keep the keris.
To me, one would have to circumvent these practices, leaving the ones which are in conflict and keep the ones which does not have conflicting esoteric elements or implications.

Keris as we know it had evolved with influences from many religions, beliefs and cultures. I believe the role of these magazines could act as a medium for better understanding in these objects and acceptance within the various societies and religons. Collectors can view it as an art object or from other stand-points, without conflicting with religion, well within the boundaries of one's religion.

Last edited by Alam Shah; 10th May 2007 at 01:41 AM.