Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12th January 2011, 10:57 AM   #1
manokent

Default Prussian / Austrian side arm Help with I.D please.

Hello, Ive had this item for quite a while now in the vain hope that I would see another or a similar to help identify it. When I first saw it on a stall I thought that it was a cut down sword. It measures 22 1/2" overall with the blade length of 17 3/4". Stamped on the ricasso Simson & Co Suhl, and a crowned M on the back. The blade is similar in shape to the butcher bayonet only thinner and 2" shorter. Plain wooden grips that don,t appear to have ever been wired or covered and a heavy steel handguard. When you see my pictures you will understand the need for the long description. I would be grateful for any comments or info regarding this sidearm.

http://s1119.photobucket.com/home/manokent

Thanks in advance,
Mark.
manokent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2011, 01:42 AM   #2
M ELEY

Very interesting sidearm. Unfortunately, I'm clueless. I was going to suggest a German butcher-blade bayonet/sword hilt 'marriage', but as you stated, but specs aren't right for the butcher blade (which is a good thing, because this must be an original and come like this). In any case, I look forward to what the experts in this area will have to say. From the general styling, I'm assuming a dating of early 20th/WWI era, perhaps?
M ELEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2011, 05:32 PM   #3
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M ELEY
Very interesting sidearm. Unfortunately, I'm clueless. I was going to suggest a German butcher-blade bayonet/sword hilt 'marriage', but as you stated, but specs aren't right for the butcher blade (which is a good thing, because this must be an original and come like this). In any case, I look forward to what the experts in this area will have to say. From the general styling, I'm assuming a dating of early 20th/WWI era, perhaps?

Kudos Mark, for at least offering a response on this anomaly even if, like me, you are a bit baffled by this unusual piece. Its always encouraging when even if we dont really have the answers, we at least show the courtesy of interest to someone who has taken the effort to post something, and offered whatever information they have on the item. Well done Manokent

I think I am with you guys on thinking of the butcher bayonet, and the shape on this blade reminds me a lot of the sawtooth Schmidt & Rubin bayonets (if I recall correctly). In any case, the sabre hilt complete with barred guard of semi basket form is of course atypical for a bayonet. I agree also that this seems to be a hybrid type of 'trench knife' from post WWI. It seems there was instance of refabricating sword hilts with shorter blades for this kind of use in those times near the time of WWII. I know that many of the surplus 'Patton' army swords M1913 sometime around then were cut down to these kind of knives presumably for trench type warfare. It seemed odd to see these huge sheet steel bowl guards on these completely incongruent cut down blades.
While not much help Im afraid, I just wanted to add those observations.

All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2011, 12:31 AM   #4
asomotif

Default PICTURE FOR LATER REFERENCE

Attached Images

asomotif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2011, 02:44 PM   #5
Hotspur

I am not finding the source quickly but Prussian/Bavarian/Austrian Alpen/Mountain artillery swords. The shorties with the plainer P and reverse P guards more regularly regarded as police swords. One or another of the blankwaffen sites but I am not navigating well this morning.

Cheers

GC
Hotspur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2011, 09:53 AM   #6
broadaxe

I have seen this before, supposed to be a semi-official creation, kind of a late boarding cutlass, circa WWI. I also handled a similar item, a yataghan bayonet blade mated to an Austrian foot soldier sword hilt. Alas, I cannot find the reference.
broadaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2011, 08:12 PM   #7
Hotspur

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadaxe
I have seen this before, supposed to be a semi-official creation, kind of a late boarding cutlass, circa WWI. I also handled a similar item, a yataghan bayonet blade mated to an Austrian foot soldier sword hilt. Alas, I cannot find the reference.
Like this one?

Alpen Korp for the one in this thread (I do believe)

Cheers

GC
Attached Images

Hotspur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2011, 10:03 AM   #8
manokent

Thanks to you all for your constructive replies and advice. Unfortunately I can't see the attached image in Hotspurs last post. My initial instinct was that this was a police or similar officials sidearm. I am certain that this weapon was not a hastily thrown together 'marriage' as although of plain and cumbersome appearance it is well constructed. Surprisingly it also feels well balanced and comfortable in the hand. I would appreciate it if the Alpen Korps image could be sent again either here or to me directly. Finally I realize that this WW1 item is outside of the dateline for this forum but I honestly thought that this was of pre 1900's manufacture, my apologies!
Many thanks again!
Mark.
Old 31st January 2011, 01:27 PM   #9
broadaxe

Hurrah - I found the reference
Frederick Stephens' Fighting Knives, pp. 12-13. I quote: "German Naval Marine Artillery sidearm, pattern 1911. A scarce example of an official modification..."
The letter M probably stands for Marine, check for OS on the ricasso, they stand for Ost See (= East Sea, the Baltic). The original scabbard bear some further naval marks.
broadaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2011, 10:44 AM   #10
manokent

Thanks Broadaxe, Well remembered! I would never have considered a naval connection for this!! I am delighted to have nailed this one having owned it for over 6 months . Unfortunately this came without a scabbard which may well have helped. No sign of OS on the ricasso though. I am going to order a copy of Frederick Stephens book today!
Many thanks again to all!

Mark.