Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 28th August 2012, 04:15 AM   #1
Dave1104

Default Help in identification #2

Here is the second blade, I believe also from the Philippines or Indonesia.

The blade in scabbard is 28.75" total, with the actual blade 22.5". The blade has some cross-hatches that suggest it is a re-worked file, but a large one? The shape of the blade suggests an oversized talibon, almost a sword. The handle is carved wood. The sheath is wood, bound by rattan. Help?
Attached Images

Dave1104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2012, 04:37 AM   #2
VANDOO
(deceased)

Thumbs up

THIS ONE IS A BIT MORE DIFFICULT AS IT HAS FEATURES OF THE TALIABON/ GARAB IN SCABBARD AND HANDLE BUT THE BLADE MORE CLOSELY RESEMBLES THE ITAK. IS THE BLADE CHISEL GROUND (FLAT ON ONE SIDE AND CONVEX ON THE OTHER) I AGREE WITH YOUR OBSERVATION OF THE BLADE LIKELY MADE FROM A FILE. DUE TO THE TEMPER OF THE FILE PERHAPS IT IS NOT SHAPED USING A FORGE BUT SHAPED BY STOCK REMOVAL ANOTHER NICE ONE
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2012, 05:09 AM   #3
Robert
EAAF Staff

I totally agree with Barry on this being a bit more difficult to identify with all its various features. If I had to guess I would say it could be a form of sansibar. Again a very interesting piece, keep them coming.

Regards,
Robert
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2012, 08:07 PM   #4
Dave1104

Thanks Barry and Robert.
This blade is not chisel ground. As best I can tell, it is symmetrical on both sides. I do have a classical talibon with the clear chisel ground blade. To my eye, this larger sword does not have that characteristic, although the general shape is there with the exception of it being much larger. (I am attaching a photo with both together for comparison purposes). I'm leaning toward the idea of a re-purposed file due to the symmetrical sides and the visible cross hatching. My guess is 1st half of the 20th century?

Dave
Attached Images

Old 28th August 2012, 08:23 PM   #5
Robert
EAAF Staff

I would agree with a dating of first half of the 20th century and that it was more than likely made from a large file or rasp. Here is a link that you might want to check out. http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...light=sansibar It will help you in giving a name to this sword.

Regards,
Robert
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2012, 04:11 AM   #6
Dave1104

I found this photo on Eriks Edge web site. It looks a lot like my weapon, and is identified as "a long batangas sword".

Edited
{please read the posting rules link that came with your membership email. }

Is this a logical comparison?

Last edited by Rick; 2nd September 2012 at 04:23 AM.