Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > History of Steel Working Group
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 17th November 2005, 09:31 PM   #1
Mark

Post Photograph procedures

Post here questions specifically about photographing your pieces for this selection process, where to send them, technical questions about things like quality & resolution, etc.

Please do not post here actual photographs, or questions about pieces, but it would be OK to post a photograph is the purpose is to ask if the layout or resolution/quality is acceptable.

Remember: the photographs that will appear in the catalogue will be taken by the Museum, so your photographs do not have to meet those exacting standards.

Before posting here, however, please read my Welcome post up at the top of the forum, including the instructions page linked in it near the bottom.

Last edited by Mark; 4th January 2007 at 07:34 PM. Reason: removed link to instructions page, see "Welcome" thread
Old 17th November 2005, 09:52 PM   #2
Mark

Just to get a few things in one place, here are some of Antonio's instructions on this topic, pulled from parts of other posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio Cejunior
Gentlemen,

May I share with you all a simple set up.

1. If you want to be in open air, do not be on plain sunlight, but on shadowed area.
2. If you are at home, choose a place near a window.

Quote:
This is a 600 pixels wide photograph. It is taken from an imaginary window and you can see the styrofoam background on the floor and the vertical styrofoam reflector with a chair or stool behind for reflecting the light from the window. The reflector bounces the light on the opposite side of the window.

Quote:
Here is the result. In internet be always aware to take the pictures in horizontal shape whenever prossible, be it a general view or a close up detail.
The sword should be placed in a diagonal line to maximize its size in the 600 pixels format.

One the set up is done, and it is very simple using natural light, it takes about the time to frame and shoot. Then the next one, and another and the next.

In no time this can be achieved.
Hope it helps everyone.

One mistake: I did not take the picture with the blade unsheathed.
Here is one which should be the standard procedure.

Quote:
Always the blade on top and the sheath parallel to the blade.

It is really simple and quick.

Hope it helps everyone.
Quote:
I must apologize, but I have requested Rick to change the two spears pictures in one picture per description. We cannot go for group pictures. Please bear with me, it is very confusing to start saying the second from the left. We must work from the beggining with References. I submitted one piece AC1 That's all I got, but it is identifiable as AC1 .
Quote:
One week is not that short for submissions, if you consider that a picture as I posted above, will take less than a minute to take, after the set up.
People can send the picture with the identification and leave the measurements for later, for selection purposes, if that suits each contributor. We have to be flexible.
(Incidently, this estimate of the time needed matches my experience, too. In terms of quality/resolution, Antonio has let me know that an average sized picture of about 600 pixels width should be good -- Mark)
Old 19th November 2005, 03:28 AM   #3
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile On Measuring

The lengths needed will be in centimeters not inches . I measured my pieces to the nearest eighth of an inch . Since most online conversion programs are set up as decimal systems (ie 1 1/2 " = 1.5 ") I gave my 1/8th increments a decimal value of 1/8" = .12 ; when this formula is used it comes to within 4 one hundredths of an inch , ie .96 . This makes the math a little easier if you don't have a tape in centimeters ; and what's .04" between friends .
Old 19th November 2005, 03:13 PM   #4
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Lightbulb More On Pictures

If any of you don't have a photo manipulation program please get this free software :

www.irfanview.com

You can get your pictures to a correct size using this ; it's a great piece of freeware and easy to use .

If you encounter any problems with it email me {e-mail address removed 1/4/06}} and I'll try to walk you through .

Last edited by Mark; 4th January 2007 at 07:35 PM. Reason: removed e-mail address
Old 23rd November 2005, 10:06 AM   #5
Battara
EAAF Staff

Well...er....some of my pictures are not that large, in fact very small, but the only ones I have until sometime next year when I have steady money. Should I go ahead and post some of my puppies anyway?
Old 24th November 2005, 10:01 AM   #6
Antonio Cejunior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battara
Well...er....some of my pictures are not that large, in fact very small, but the only ones I have until sometime next year when I have steady money. Should I go ahead and post some of my puppies anyway?
Yes, Battara, no problem. I've uploaded your pics already.
I was talking of an optimum scenario.

Thanks
Old 26th November 2005, 08:53 PM   #7
Battara
EAAF Staff

OH good. Was worried a bit. Made sure others were not any more than 600 pixels.
Old 27th November 2005, 12:51 AM   #8
Antonio Cejunior

Thumbs up Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battara
OH good. Was worried a bit. Made sure others were not any more than 600 pixels.
Not a problem Please check back. Everything has ben uploaded
Thanks Battara. We have reached a record of 78 entries.
Wow.
Old 29th November 2005, 11:16 PM   #9
Antonio Cejunior

Smile PHOTOGRAPHIC TUTORIAL

Good morning everyone,

In view of the need to ensure that pictures on the list are very clear I took the liberty of making a Swords Photography Tutorial in case any of our generous contributors have any difficulty with getting things right.
I will now only upload photographs that carry enough quality and clearness as the pictures will be all the Museum will have for showing the Insurance Company therefore it is on your own interest.

Please don't take me wrong or misunderstand me. The group has been nothing but FANTASTIC and GENEROUS but I really want to be sure things are very clear and beyond doubt. I hope the tutorial is usable by some of you gentlemen and in no way intends to be more than a way to assist any contributor which has had difficulties taking pictures with a white background.

Best regards to you all
Old 4th January 2007, 06:43 PM   #10
Mark

bump