Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11th February 2014, 05:07 AM   #1
DaveS

Default Persian Shamshir-boy's sword?

Here is a shamshir with a walrus ivory karabella style handle. Gold engraved crossguard. The backstrap has silver filigree with three round coral stones on the end. The blade is of Kara-khorassan type wootz, 26 inches long, 31 1/2 inches overall. Unfortunately, no scabbard. The small dimensions make me wonder if it might have been made for a boy. Someone told me that the cartouche says the maker is Assad Allah but I think this blade is one of many later ones that was signed with his name to make it more saleable. I would really appreciate a translation on this sword if possible............Dave.
Attached Images

DaveS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2014, 02:48 PM   #2
AJ1356

Dave, that is a nice little shamshir, I've seen small ones before but they were Indian mainly. Could be for a small stature man or a rich boy, who knows.
The cartouches read, Servant of Shah e Welaayat, Abbas and Amal e Kalb Ali bin Assad.
Notice the comma before Abbas, I'll have to explain that in another post ones of these days.
AJ1356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2014, 06:34 PM   #3
DaveS

AJ1356: Thank you for the translation. I'm thinking this shamshir would date from the early 1800s, but without an inscribed date that is just a guess on my part...........Dave.
DaveS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2014, 03:47 PM   #4
ALEX

Dave, I agree - at least 19th century blade, made for a boy. The handle/cross combo is later, perhaps Balkan/late Ottoman or later addition. Nice quality woots
ALEX is offline   Reply With Quote