Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12th November 2023, 07:45 PM   #1
twines

Default 1815 Dutch Rifled Musket

Hi,

I have and nice 1815 Dutch musket that is .71 cal. rifled. I would like some help with the marks. Any help will be greatly appreciated. I have a more complete set of pictures on Imgur. I can't use the outside host here but PM me you email and I will send you a link.

Thanks

Tom
Attached Images

twines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2023, 04:35 PM   #2
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Welcome to the forum, twines.
I believe that the pictures you have already posted here are good enough to ID your musket and its marks.
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2023, 06:04 AM   #3
M ELEY

Hmm. I'm a novie when it comes to guns, rifles, muskets, but just few comments to start things off. This gun was obviously converted over to percussion from flintlock in it's working life. The way the hammer folds over the barrel to strike the 'nipple' is very similar to French, Dutch and German patterns post-1840. These types of muskets were heavily imported into the U.S. for the Civil War on both sides and then we have this interesting marking of 'CS'? 'Confederate States' or am I just being whimsical?
M ELEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2023, 10:15 AM   #4
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Quote:
Originally Posted by twines View Post
...I have a more complete set of pictures on Imgur. I can't use the outside host here ...
Tom, why can't you save the rest of the pictures to your computer and upload them here, using forum attachment features.

https://id33158.securedata.net/svaer...ad.php?t=14688

Attached Images

fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2023, 10:56 AM   #5
Raf

[QUOTE=twines;286005]Hi,

I have and nice 1815 Dutch musket that is .71 cal. rifled. I would like some help with the marks. Any help will be greatly appreciated. I have a more complete set of pictures on Imgur. I can't use the outside host here but PM me you email and I will send you a link.

Thanks

Hi . This is well covered in a post by Norman Mc Cormick on this forum . See Dutch Musket 1815
Raf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2023, 11:03 AM   #6
ausjulius

Quote:
Hi,

Thanks

Tom
hi , yes it is a m1815 dutch military musket. ther ewas many makers of these, your gun is a conversion to percussion , this was done in the 1840s by the dutch government . the date of conversion will be stamped into the stock
ausjulius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2023, 11:39 AM   #7
corrado26

The mark "GB" in a circle at the upper side of the barrel stands for "Gouvernement Belgique" what says that this gun is not a Dutch one but a "fusil d'infanterie N°1 transformé" of the Belgian army. It has nothing to do with the Netherlands. These guns have been made in the Manufacture d'Armes de l'Etat at Liège beginninmg with 1840.
corrado26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2023, 12:29 PM   #8
Kmaddock

Hi Tom
Welcome to the forum,
These marks would be armourers marks scratched or filed into the components by the armourer so he knows what parts go with what gun.

A prelude to serial numbers being on every part of a gun.

I love finding these as I really feel it allows you to reach back in time to the workbench 200 years ago when someone was taking care to keep all the parts of the one gun together.
Regards,
Ken
Attached Images

Kmaddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2023, 02:45 PM   #9
twines

Thanks for the responses. I am begining to get the history of the gun and it's pretty neet. I am copying a response from Christian Wellard from the Royal Armouries. So far I still believe the gun started life as a 1815 Dutch musket. It was either rifled or rebarreled by Belgians . (hence the GB) Christian suggest I reach out to National Military Museum of the Netherlands. I will do that later today and let you all know what I find out. To the gentleman who suggest the CS is Confederate States, I could only wish. I have recieved mixed opinions on these guns being imported by both North and South in large quanity. I am leaning toward they were not or at least not in significant quanity. Anyway here is the response from Christian Wellard

Dear Tom,

Thanks for bearing with us. I’ve had a look at our best resource for these Dutch arms (B J Martens & G de Vries, Nederlandse Vuurwapens 1813-1866), though it is in Dutch so anything I’m bringing from that should be taken with a bit of salt just in case. It appears this conversion process was begun around 1841, and it seems to have been a bit of a struggle for the Dutch government to find a suitable company to actually carry out the process. Malherbe of Liege was a potential candidate, but Martens and de Vries note that there was opposition to using them within the Dutch War Department. It didn’t help their situation that the Liege gun industry had become such a major supplier, and of course as of 1830 Belgium was no longer part of the Netherlands. The book notes that although records of how the company was chosen were lost, but it ended up being a Maastricht businessman named Petrus Regout who managed to secure the Dutch government’s approval. The parts for conversion were made in Liege and then brought to Maastricht, where the conversions were made, starting in January 1842.

The markings on your gun are more difficult to work out, as some of them don’t appear in the book, so I’m afraid I can’t be of the greatest amount of help here. That said, the apparent broad arrow mark on the barrel isn’t at all in the British military style. Rather, alongside the other tally marks nearby it, this looks like it may have been an assembly mark. Makers back in those days would often mark up individual parts with incised lines in various patterns, in order to keep track of which parts go together whilst working on multiple guns at the same time.

I think your best bet at this stage for the markings would be to get in touch with the Nationaal Militair Museum in the Netherlands. They’ll be the best-placed team to help work out the rest of the details, and their website’s here: https://www.nmm.nl/en/

I hope that helps, and wish you luck finding out more about your gun.

Kind regards,

Christian Wellard

Curatorial Assistant
Old 14th November 2023, 04:56 PM   #10
Norman McCormick

Hi Tom,
This discussion will be of interest. http://vikingsword.com/vb/showthread...ght=dutch+1815
I found the Dutch Army Museum very helpful and I think it would be good idea to get in touch with them re your musket. These muskets were based on the French 1777 Charleville and if you want a bayonet the French one will fit. I tried to track down a Dutch made bayonet but without success but the French ones are relatively easy to source.
Regards,
Norman.

Last edited by Norman McCormick; 14th November 2023 at 05:10 PM.
Norman McCormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2023, 10:25 AM   #11
corrado26

In order to identify this gun some additional information.
Attached Images

Old 15th November 2023, 02:23 PM   #12
Norman McCormick

Hi,
I reckon if you contact both Belgian and Dutch Army Museums you will get a definite answer as to the lineage of your gun. I have had occasion to contact both Museums and found them both very helpful. Regardless of the origin of your musket it would appear it is still based on the French 1777 Charleville and therefore the bayonet information would still be appropriate.
Regards,
Norman.
Norman McCormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2023, 01:38 PM   #13
twines

Default Here information The WHI in Brussels

Hi Thomas,

That is indeed the Belgian Government mark. This is nothing out of the ordinary, as the Belgian Government used older Dutch Muskets that were left behind after the Belgian Revolution against the Dutch. Which makes it rather ‘weird’ is indeed the fact that it was transformed to percussion system after it received the Belgian acceptance mark (starting from 1830), but in the matter exactly like the Dutch Government started doing in the 1840’s.

If it is a M1815 type 2, the construction can’t be after 1820 because at this date their production was cancelled. 1838 is however too early for transformation to percussion the way it is present.

The stripe marks on the barrel, including the arrow, are simply inspector’s marks, to keep internal order in which parts were inspected and in what stage. The ‘British broad arrow’ is thus not really a British Broad arrow.

The letters found above the chamber on the barrel or on the different metal parts are the initials of the Inspectors to proof that the different parts were found acceptable for use.

The letters on the wood are typical Belgian marking for acceptance of wooden stocks.

The musket is most likely a mix of different pieces brought together in a later stage, by an arms dealer or restorer

Kind regards,

Arthur Van Rossem

Diensthoofd a.i. Vuurwapens / Chef de Service a.i. Armes à feu
Old 27th November 2023, 02:37 PM   #14
corrado26

Talking

Quote:

That is indeed the Belgian Government mark. This is nothing out of the ordinary, as the Belgian Government used older Dutch Muskets that were left behind after the Belgian Revolution against the Dutch.u
Very nice to get confirmed what I'd written im my first post