Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 17th November 2011, 07:09 AM   #1
ferrylaki

Default before "warangan" process

I'd like to share these pictures I've taken before my keris got its warangan.
there are some appearence called "malela" sparkling dots on the "gonjo" and the pamor in the middle of the blade which appear to be "kulit semongo" that can be covered using a good warangan, resulting only the pamor "wengkon" which is the main pamor suppose to be appear on this keris. these pictures taken just before it dipped into the "warangan"
I've waiting for quite a long time for the appropriate "strenght" of warangan in order to cover the "weak" pamor (weak pamor=sanak).
Attached Images

ferrylaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2011, 09:00 AM   #2
Jean

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrylaki
The pamor in the middle of the blade which appear to be "kulit semongo" that can be covered using a good warangan, resulting only the pamor "wengkon" which is the main pamor suppose to be appear on this keris. these pictures taken just before it dipped into the "warangan"
I've waiting for quite a long time for the appropriate "strenght" of warangan in order to cover the "weak" pamor (weak pamor=sanak).
A soft pamor inside a wengkon frame can also look nice!
Regards
Attached Images

Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2011, 10:11 AM   #3
ferrylaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean
A soft pamor inside a wengkon frame can also look nice!
Regards
in this Hamengku Buwono era keris, a full pamor inside the wengkon is indeed meant to show up, and I do agree this would looks nice on the keris.
but in my keris, the pamor material seem to be not strong enough. and it show a kinf of different appearence or different tipe of pamor on each side of the keris. then I conclude that it might happened that the empu meant to make the tipe of pamor wengkon at the first time he design this keris.
the following soft pamor appear in the middle of the wengkon are an unexpected pamor.
this pictures are taken before the warangan process.
My efford to cover the soft pamor inside the wengkon is known as a common practise here. it does need a very good composition of warangan, the right acid level of the warangan, and a good skill of the person doing the warangan precess. we call it "di nyek" not only soaking the keris into warangan but also make some massage in the hand.
I have to wait the precise and perfect time when the warangan solution reach its optimum level. it was by using the warangan for some keris for trial...more keris is more better..until the warangan is suitable for the wengkon keris.
and the result is satisfying.
the soft pamor is covered. the egde shows a great contras between black, grey and green (slorok) the soft pamor are not entirely covered, but mostly did.
Attached Images

Old 17th November 2011, 11:40 AM   #4
Marcokeris

GREAT work!!
Marcokeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2011, 12:36 PM   #5
Jean

Amazing indeed and well done since the inside pamor was not symmetrical, congratulations!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2011, 06:12 PM   #6
danny1976

Hi Ferrylaki.

Very nice job !

May I ask what process you used for Di Mutih ( whitening ) the blade ?

Danny.
danny1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2011, 07:38 AM   #7
ferrylaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny1976
Hi Ferrylaki.

Very nice job !

May I ask what process you used for Di Mutih ( whitening ) the blade ?

Danny.
Marco and Jean, thank you.
Danny, I did not exercise the whitening process by my self. my friend did.
he is the warangan master.
the whitening process involve some lime (jeruk nipis), detergent (soap), tooth brush, and water.
it didn't need a complicate technique, just brush the keris using lime water and soap (or I may say something we use for washing dishes/plate)
Old 18th November 2011, 08:49 AM   #8
A. G. Maisey

What I was taught for whitening a blade was to use coconut husk and abu gosok ; abu= ash, gosok= rub, its what is used in Jawa to polish dirty saucepans, and is effectively an ash from the burning of various materials, like coconut leaves, or even the ashes left from burnt charcoal.

This whitening process is done after the blade has been totally cleaned by mild acidic action over a period of time.

However, what I use in Australia is steel wool and Ajax sink cleaner powder. I find this quicker, easier and better.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2011, 08:59 AM   #9
Jussi M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey
However, what I use in Australia is steel wool and Ajax sink cleaner powder. I find this quicker, easier and better.
Blasphemy!
Jussi M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2011, 10:06 AM   #10
ferrylaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey
What I was taught for whitening a blade was to use coconut husk and abu gosok ; abu= ash, gosok= rub, its what is used in Jawa to polish dirty saucepans, and is effectively an ash from the burning of various materials, like coconut leaves, or even the ashes left from burnt charcoal.

This whitening process is done after the blade has been totally cleaned by mild acidic action over a period of time.

I forget to mention "abu gosok"
Old 18th November 2011, 10:57 AM   #11
A. G. Maisey

Yeah Jussi, right!

Tradition is fine, but sometimes modern ways and materials can produce a better result.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote