Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 3rd January 2012, 02:22 PM   #1
thinreadline

Default 2 SHIELDS FOR COMMENT

Here are 2 shields from my collection . The first I know is Ethiopian , but the second although I beleive it comes from N E Africa , I have never been able to find a similar one for comparison or confirmation ... It is leather and it has a very distinctive painted pattern and a more modern repair.
Attached Images

Last edited by thinreadline; 3rd January 2012 at 02:38 PM. Reason: put in wrong forum grouping
thinreadline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2012, 04:03 PM   #2
Iain

Second looks pretty close to a Beja shield? Although the characteristic spear cutouts aren't present...
Iain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2012, 04:14 PM   #3
thinreadline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain
Second looks pretty close to a Beja shield? Although the characteristic spear cutouts aren't present...
Yes I see what you mean , but that small but significant difference plus the attractive decorative work makes me wonder if this is not something a bit more special.
Old 4th January 2012, 03:14 AM   #4
roanoa

Domed shaped aside, based on the painted decoration and the two handles and the padding in the back, I will venture to say that it may be Indo-persian.
roanoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2012, 05:12 PM   #5
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Salaams ~ The Omani Terrs has its origins in this form and hide from various creatures was sought for its construction in the regional Hub of Zanzibar viz; Hippo, Rhino, Water Buffalo and possibly Whale. The shape and size looks identical however can you post the sizes please?

I agree with Iain about the beautiful design to the lower item with crosses and clusters of archways in the religious style common to the region. Crosses have many concepts and candle light is one ... though it is also a geometric structure as is the dot at the centre of the arch clusters meaning universal centre...

However, I'm not wishing to read to much into the artistic style rather to compare the shield with the Buckler of Oman and to point to its very African form.

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2012, 08:52 PM   #6
thinreadline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrahiim al Balooshi
Salaams ~ The Omani Terrs has its origins in this form and hide from various creatures was sought for its construction in the regional Hub of Zanzibar viz; Hippo, Rhino, Water Buffalo and possibly Whale. The shape and size looks identical however can you post the sizes please?

I agree with Iain about the beautiful design to the lower item with crosses and clusters of archways in the religious style common to the region. Crosses have many concepts and candle light is one ... though it is also a geometric structure as is the dot at the centre of the arch clusters meaning universal centre...

However, I'm not wishing to read to much into the artistic style rather to compare the shield with the Buckler of Oman and to point to its very African form.

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

Salaams Ibrahiim
As always your answers are enlightening and appreciated , you have of course pointed out my fooloish omission... the size. The painted patterned shield is 45 cm in diameter .
Thank you
Richmond
Old 4th January 2012, 08:48 PM   #7
thinreadline

Quote:
Originally Posted by roanoa
Domed shaped aside, based on the painted decoration and the two handles and the padding in the back, I will venture to say that it may be Indo-persian.
That is an interesting suggestion... I am attaching a pic of an Indo Persian wooden quiver from my collection ... the colours and floral decoration are similar though not the same.
Attached Images