Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 16th January 2019, 09:21 PM   #271
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrahiim al Balooshi
Now to the pictures~ on which it can be seen the colour range for this horn is from almost black through a nut brown to an almost olive light green... its ability to accept silver nails almost the same as the Rhino hilt makes it the best alternative yet seen and could help save the Rhino from extinction.
Two things wrong with this statement Ibrahiim.
Firstly, the vast majority of rhino horn is poached for the Asia medicine markets. So poaching is still going to take place to feed those markets regardless of any alternatives that are used for hilts in Omani Khanjars.
Secondly, the giraffe is also an endangered species. Killing off giraffes for such frivolous elitist usage is just as bad as killing rhinos, isn't it?
Lastly, the severed giraffe head was both unnecessary and in poor taste.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2019, 09:46 PM   #272
Jens Nordlunde

"Lastly, the severed giraffe head was both unnecessary and in poor taste."

I very much agree with David.
Jens Nordlunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2019, 11:51 PM   #273
Battara
EAAF Staff

I am closing this thread for now.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2019, 01:06 AM   #274
Battara
EAAF Staff

This thread is now reopened ON THE CONDITION that there are no more inappropriate pictures like this.
Old 18th January 2019, 12:56 PM   #275
Kubur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battara
This thread is now reopened ON THE CONDITION that there are no more inappropriate pictures like this.
MMMmm even a baby elephant's head?

More seriously thank you to reopen this thread, Ibraheem did a amazing job here.
Kubur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2019, 09:04 PM   #276
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubur
MMMmm even a baby elephant's head?

More seriously thank you to reopen this thread, Ibraheem did a amazing job here.

Always good to look at the lighter side, sometimes I think we can get things out of perspective, but the important thing is this thread is a valuable resource on the khanjhar, especially those of Oman.
As a virtual 'outsider' in the field of daggers, I know I have learned a great deal from Ibrahiim and the knowledge he has gained in over three decades of study on these in Oman.

The objective as I have understood in the recent posts, despite the photos which were perhaps too graphic to stand as supportive evidence, was to show that giraffe horn is indeed often used in lieu of rhino horn in these hilts. There have apparently been various speculations on the actual material used including various species' hooves etc. but here the proper identification has been revealed purposefully.

I hope we can continue to learn more on these intriguing daggers here, and focus on the varied elements of character in them to help in more accurate identification. As someone very much forensically limited in identifying materials used in hilts as well as metallurgical and design properties, I very much apprieciate this discussion and the input by Ibrahiim as well as those who have contributed.
Thank you all!
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2019, 03:00 PM   #277
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Another interesting first for forum.
For some time we have generally accepted that Royal Khanjars have been hilted using only Rhino horn... and after all who would want to strip down these complicated decorated hilts to find out? Certainly it would obviously be a solid foundation in which to seat the various pin and silver nails giving a solid base and in honouring perhaps the great animal itself? BUT it goes without saying that the use of endangered animal horn for any reason is abhorrent and must be stopped.
Now it transpires that the infamous and equally endangered Giraffe horn or zraf hindi has been used to fill this role. It has to be said that this animal has only recently joined the endangered list red zone of animals in danger but endangered it certainly is. Below is such a weapon and has the hilt of an African Giraffe.
Attached Images

Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2019, 07:38 AM   #278
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Switching Khanjar parts...

One aspect makes it very difficult to guage if a khanjar is original or has new parts added or old parts from another weapon added on ...Silver smiths do this all the time in refurbishing old weapons and because silver wears quite quickly it is hard to make the story out ...Here is one example of this phenomena below ~ both hilts are old rhino and one is particularly translucent .

Those with an eye for detail will note the non Omani belt on the black leathered weapon which probably means it is an Emirati weapon ...almost identical as at one time the UAE was an extension of the Dhakilliyyah or interior of Oman thus the weapons were virtually identical. UAE weapons are discussed on this thread earlier. See #248 here where there is an example of the sometimes used chevron rings at the last picture.

The Translucent hilted, black scabbard weapon, has has a lot of work done on it.
One part replaced is the band around the mid hilt that can be seen to be from a Busaidi or Royal Khanjar when compared with the other below. On further inspection it looks like two new inner large rings an the cuff on the scabbard and dagger are replacements probably also from a Royal Khanjar...I also suspect it has a new blade. this Omani Khanjar has had "the works" done to it. Not a bad refit though..
Attached Images

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 21st January 2019 at 11:02 AM.
Old 9th February 2019, 08:37 PM   #279
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Despite being reopened this thread has no pictures which appear to have vanished without trace,,, Where have the pictures gone ...more to the point when are they coming back... ?
Old 9th February 2019, 10:55 PM   #280
Robert
EAAF Staff

Ibrahiim, As you well know unfortunately a simple and completely unintentional mistake was made in an attempt to remove a photo deemed offensive and inappropriate that has now resulted in the permanent loss of all photos posted to this thread. If you or any other forum member has any of the now missing photos and would like to assist in attempt to restore this thread please email them to me at coleman5@copper.net with the corresponding reply number so they can then be added back in their proper order. Posting a demand for answers to questions you already know the answer to is of little use or help. "IF" you feel the need to respond to my posting I strongly suggest you do so through PM as this thread needs no further distractions.

Robert

Last edited by Robert; 9th February 2019 at 11:12 PM.
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2019, 07:05 PM   #281
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Robert, thank you for your kind reply.

As indicated I am geared to continue the thread starting with the refreshed new pictures of the Giraffes head and in setting out a short roadmap to re establish the importance of this 10 page epic with hits around 95,000. This took six years in the making and was a massive data base on a subject that EAA had virtually nothing on previously; thus it is our responsibility to make it happen.

What is envisaged is a photo log of different Omani Khanjars allowing members the chance to fire in any questions as they wish; thus opening up the thread to suggestion and feedback.
Old 10th February 2019, 07:44 PM   #282
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

The picture recorded below shows an Omani hilt and khanjar blade .. the hilt of oddly named Zraff Hindi which is weird as india doesn't have these...but Africa does... and beside that a picture of an Okapi clearly of similar head shape to the adjoining shot of a Giraffe...and the two animals are even related by species although Okapi don't have big enough horns for a penknife let alone a batch of Khanjar hilts.

What is large enough is the giraffe or at least the male; rolling out as a 22 foot tall beast with 6 foot long legs capable of actually killing a lion by kicking off its head! The word game becomes complicated when you take the Arabic given name of the Rhino which is Zraff Afrique!

I think it wise to mention that all these animals are now on the endangered list thus caution is advised and as always when dealing with ethnographic weapons great sympathy and awareness is needed when covering such issues..

Therefor moving forward with this thread I will offer a series of never seen before examples of THE OMANI KHANJAR and hope members will come in with any questions and suggestions.
Attached Images

Old 11th February 2019, 12:46 AM   #283
shayde78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert
Ibrahiim, As you well know unfortunately a simple and completely unintentional mistake was made in an attempt to remove a photo deemed offensive and inappropriate that has now resulted in the permanent loss of all photos posted to this thread. If you or any other forum member has any of the now missing photos and would like to assist in attempt to restore this thread please email them to me at coleman5@copper.net with the corresponding reply number so they can then be added back in their proper order. Posting a demand for answers to questions you already know the answer to is of little use or help. "IF" you feel the need to respond to my posting I strongly suggest you do so through PM as this thread needs no further distractions.

Robert
Something similar occurred with the thread about makers' marks just last year. I offered a suggestion which allowed for the content to be recreated. It may well work to restore this thread. I think fernando did the hard work on that, so it would be worth asking him for advice.

Edit- never mind...it seems the photos are now displaying.
shayde78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2019, 09:54 PM   #284
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

[B]OMANI KHANJARS PART TWO[/B]

As a roadmap marker we seem to have arrived more or less at about PART TWO where a slight change of direction may be called for with more of the pictorial log effect and perhaps some daggers not often seen but well worth looking at, and an open house for questions from members on THE OMANI KHANJAR.

The first is this extraordinary piece below sporting a newish style of Omani work knife.
Attached Images

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 13th February 2019 at 10:07 PM.
Old 15th February 2019, 04:37 AM   #285
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

This one is difficult> The hilt is Yemeni which locals call Zraf Yemeni. It is old Rhino from a Yemeni Jambia with all original silver Yemeni silver furniture> It is an old hilt likely to be an heirloom. The man wearing it has a different pattern on his white Dishdash ...which is from the UAE. The scabbard is deeply cut/patterned on plate silver (not silver stitched).
I think this is a UAE Khanjar.
Old 16th February 2019, 02:01 AM   #286
Battara
EAAF Staff

Just for clarification, you mean the silver parts are made of sheet silver, not silver plate over another metal, right?
Old 16th February 2019, 08:22 AM   #287
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

SEE #5 . In the usual case in Oman silver thread is woven in a pattern and affixed to the base material which is a wooden core covered in leather. Occasionally part or all of the scabbard below the belt rings may be made of sheet of varying thickness..#1 also displays some sheet work. This Khanjar in post here has quite thick sheet with a pattern hammered in. It is quite unusual but can happen and as noted this weapon seems off the periphery probably UAE and with a Yemeni hilt from an old Jambia.
Old 17th February 2019, 09:43 AM   #288
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

This example suggests a Giraffe horn hilt (Zraff Hindi) and the maker from Nizwa... This is a Nizwaani Khanjar. (of Nizwa)
I was quite interested in this because of the two old floral studs on the hilt and the big work knife tucked behind with a striking pattern not seen before; on the handle. the two miniature shields over the outer rings are said to be of the Nizwa type but not all and many other makers copy this throughout Oman.. called the same as the Omani battleshield; Terrs. For other part names see # 218.

The pins holding on the two button shaped discs at the Hilt would drive me mad however. (I think they are iron nails!)
Attached Images

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 17th February 2019 at 12:29 PM.
Old 22nd February 2019, 06:15 PM   #289
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

it is a while since this style has been looked at.. A meaty hilt in Sandalwood on a Dhaakiliyya khanjar (Interior) identified by the large amount of leather showing below the belt section. Sandalwood is a scented hardwood and takes quite closely packed silver pins nicely without splitting. In this case the belt is original to the khanjar with quite unusual decorated tiny terrs shields above the outer rings and a fairly unusual pattern on the lower scabbard. The silverwork above the rings reminds me of the Royal Khanjar style. As does the delicate work on the Qoba'a
Attached Images

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 22nd February 2019 at 06:27 PM.
Old 24th February 2019, 01:20 PM   #290
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

This Omani Khanjar has a hilt of giraffe horn the Omani people call ZRAF HINDI but as we now know its the African Giraffe..somehow lost or muddled in the translation... I prefer this type of decorated pin on a floral design which is of gold wash on silver; much of it rubbed off by now..

NOTE the miniature stack of silver cannon balls on the end of the scabbard(Qooba) do not represent cannonballs but reflect the abundant wild Mulberry bushes fruit in Oman. they appear on Omani silver jewelry and nearly always on Omani Khanjar scabbards.
Attached Images

Old 24th February 2019, 02:25 PM   #291
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

In Oman the silversmith has three sources of top quality silver with which to make Khanjars.
1. Silver ingots imported from China. The Omani mine at Sohar (MEGAN)also produces silver Ingots as a bi product of its copper mining.
2. Scrap silver ( when a lady dies it is usual for her dowry silver to be sold back to the silver smith and melted for essentially the next requirement for a silver Dowry.
3. Maria Theresa Thalers. She was ruler of Austria and Spain and her coins are commemorative dated 1780 when she died and continue to be highly respected for silver content even today. see below and also note the website among many with additional detail on this coinage> http://www.theresia.name/en/
Attached Images

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 24th February 2019 at 02:37 PM.
Old 26th February 2019, 12:58 PM   #292
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

The Brother to # 251

DAVID E. AT# 251 posted an interesting Omani Khanjar and just today I received one so similar to it and confirmed as also from Nizwa that it must be from the same workshop. The weapon I show has a confirmed zraf hindi (African horn hilt) in rounded top form and the plate below the hilt is identical but inverted compared to its brother although the stitching directly below the rings on both examples is the same ..
see below
Attached Images

Old 28th February 2019, 12:30 PM   #293
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Here is a great example distinct and clear as to its provenance..

CLUES INCLUDE HAVING A LOOK AT #248 AND #278 AS WELL AS THE UNDERLYING STRUCTURE OF A NEW WEAPON IN THE MAKING AT #5

The Qita'a is a give away and should help pinpoint two regions where these are traditional thus the belt may then zero in on the correct choice.

The MAQBATH is little dull in this OSICONE but you may guess to its origins based on this?

See #218 for the correct parts names.
Attached Images

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 28th February 2019 at 01:04 PM.
Old 2nd March 2019, 03:35 PM   #294
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

For interest see http://khanjar.om/Types.html an excellent study of Omani Khanjars most useful in dissecting where a weapon has originated... Highly recommended to forum.
Old 2nd March 2019, 04:08 PM   #295
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Bitter Orange Wood

I have seen thousands of Omani Khanjars, however, one material name that crops up occasionally is a so called bitter orange wood known locally as khashab al nereng but I have never seen it. does anyone have any idea what this stuff looks like.... needless to say the search is on here where it appears to be a South Asian wood... used ..it is said... as a good hilt material for Omani Khanjars as is Sandalwood but for bitter orange I never encountered it !! Any ideas?
Old 2nd March 2019, 06:46 PM   #296
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

I don't have any ideas, but I have many questions as a latecomer to the world of khanjhars, and I have been remiss in not following them with you more closely .
What I have learned in trying to go through the remarkable detail and guidelines/observations you have shared here over the years and with others here keen on these daggers, is how very complex they really are.

In the recent discussions on the materials used for the hilts on khanjhars, you brought up giraffe horn, which nearly two years ago apparently was thought to have not actually been used despite the ZRAF HINDI term used. It appears that it was thought to be hoof material from giraffe possibly.

The realization that it indeed was giraffe horn you made recently seems to have been very important, and I have always thought that the rhino horn characteristically used in these was essential for either talismanic or other properties.

So what I am trying to understand is if there are indeed any certain stipulations or specific reasons for one material over another. Have any khanjhars used ivory for hilts?

The use of this orange wood material seems aesthetic, so it seems perhaps that availability of materials superceded some such requirements such as I thought were observed re: the rhino horn.

Just trying to get an idea of various hilt materials and any significances etc.
I know this has been covered through many posts, but just catching up.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2019, 05:16 PM   #297
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Thanks Jim ~ Good questions and I agree it is a bit puzzling. Of the 11 different regions in Oman they can all sport some of the same design variables as the next region which must be slightly confusing when a researcher is trying to nail a style. I often refer back to the website http://khanjar.om/Types.html which probably serves half the equation and has a most useful regional map of Oman and distinctive regional differences and similarities.

Time has dictated that a silversmith in any of the northern regions can produce any of the 10 /11 variable styles from any of the regions and that further difficult original locating is made worse when a style is mixed. the book says that Nizwa for example produces the largest khanjars yet I have seen huge daggers from the baatinah coast and from a separate entity around Bahla a giant thing twice as big as any khanjar worn by a giant. The man was 80 plus years old and he was a true giant over 7 feet tall with hands like three mens but these are examples of one offs...and there are more of those … and even 8 and nine ringers! then the variables from the UAE sometrimes impossible to separate from Dhakiliyya Khanjars next door ….but I digress..

The incredible appearance of the facts surrounding the Giraffe horn

The horn from the male African Giraffe is quite substantial although it is not so translucent as the Rhino ...in fact it is quite dark..though its colour can vary from dark to greenish...its not translucent but has excellent acceptance of silver nails and is used on both normal 4 ringers and on Royal khanjars. It is however an endangered species thus ought to be avoided although old giraffe may be acceptable it certainly is not to me.

What I think are excellent hilts are the hardwoods such as Sandalwood which I am about to show on site and this other bitter orange which I must track down since as a south Asian wood I am absolutely certain it is one of those old traded hardwood varieties that must be brought to the table for recognition and as a replacement hilt for these endangered animals.

On Fils (Ivory) the first big assault was on Ivory was from the USA !! in the shape of billiard balls and piano keys. Indeed it was done via an American shipping company operating direct from Zanzibar at the time of Saiid The Great.

The whats in a word angle goes wild here when the old Arabic words get used>>>>Zraf Hindi means Indian Giraffe and even the term for old replacement Yemeni Jambia hilts on Omani work>>>Zraf Yemeni... and the use of Hasheb Norang for bitter orange wood which I still have not traced. The name in Arabic for Rhino horn is also odd>>Zraf Afrique.. AFRICAN GIRAFFE

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 3rd March 2019 at 05:56 PM.
Old 3rd March 2019, 06:14 PM   #298
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Just to insert an Ivory hilt...from #247
Attached Images

Old 6th March 2019, 05:24 PM   #299
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

This is an extremely detailed floral design with what appears to be Indian influence...not surprising since their close proximity as trading partners throughout history not to mention the fact that Sheherezad one of the wives of Saiid the Great actually designed the new fangled hilt on the Royal Khanjar in about 1835 from Indian designs.
What I don't prefer to see are the rings which are woven, I think, to a newer design that clash in my view.
Here is an intricate design with zraf hindi hilt which is of course African Giraffe.
Attached Images

Old 10th March 2019, 09:28 PM   #300
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Focusing on a little Ethnographics ...The Funun is the set of Traditions played out in Oman in dance music poetry and singing in a form of pantomime to rhythm and often an ancient musical score . In fact this entire set of Genres was the means by which traditional performance passed these performances down the generations so that in researching weapons the Sword or Khanjar dances can be traced far into the past. Please see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87h_...rt_radio=1#t=1 for the Bara'a The Khanjar Dance