Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 26th June 2018, 02:54 PM   #1
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Default Planning a trip to Southern US

Anyone here kind enough to advice on attractions to visit in Austin, San Antonio or Huston ?
Thanks in advance.
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2018, 02:22 PM   #2
Edster

In San Antonio I'd recommend The Alamo (Davy Crocket and all), actually the major origin shrine of Texas, and River Walk. Houston is the Museum District and of course the Space Center. Don't know Austin, but the the music scene is popular. Google searches will offer more details. Also, look for a coffee cup with "Don't Mess With Texas" on it. In most airport gift shops.

I'm not a native, but have lived/worked near Houston off and on for several years. Actually,Texans, themselves, are an interesting ethnic group. I've become rather fond of them over time. Also, it'll be HOT there this time of year.

Take care,
Ed
Edster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2018, 03:04 PM   #3
fernando

Thank you for the heads up, Ed. Will certainly look for one of those coffee cups.
Is it so hot, not now but, but end September, our travelling date ?
Old 27th June 2018, 04:26 PM   #4
Edster

Temps start to decrease in Sept. to Ave. High 87 F, Low 67 F. end of month. Much nicer in October.
Old 27th June 2018, 09:07 PM   #5
fernando

I hope this is not the extreme year, Ed
Old 28th June 2018, 01:05 AM   #6
kamals

If you are going to San Antonio do check out the River Walk, it's beautiful and there is a nice portion that's beautiful at night with restaurants and night spots. It feels tucked away from the more modern parts of San Antonio.
kamals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2018, 11:17 AM   #7
fernando

Thanks much for the info, kamals .
Old 28th June 2018, 09:28 PM   #8
kronckew

Houston area also has the San Jacinto park, with a small museum in the monument tower base that has his sword in it, along with other stuff, I recall. San Jacinto is where Gen. Sam Houston lured general Santa Anna after the Alamo, and trounced him and capturing him as well, ended the war and guaranteed Texas' independence. The battleship Texas is also moored nearby and worth a visit.

If you want to see Texans in action, try Gilly's, south side of the ship channel...
Booze, dancing, mech. bull rides, etc...Yee Haw! Don't get caught with a beer open in the car...Lone Star ain't bad. San Miguel or Dos Equis is better tho.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2018, 11:52 AM   #9
fernando

Precious info Wayne, thanks.
By the way, when have you last been in these places ... hasn't Gilly's closed in 1989 ?
Guess we will have to find a similar alternative. San Jacinto site and the batlleship sound fine, though.
Old 29th June 2018, 01:24 PM   #10
Edster

You will of course need to eat on your trip I recommend Pappadeaux's Seafood Kitchen. More Louisiana Cajun than Tex-Mex, but culturally relevant to the TX Gulf Coast and great. They are in all three of your cities and can be located on the attached link. I used to go to the one on Rt. 59 SW in Stafford just outside of Houston. Highly recommend the Crawfish Etouffee & Popcorned crawfish mixed platter.
https://pappadeaux.com/menu/

For more Tex-Mex try Pappasitos. Owned by the same Greek family; go figure.
https://pappasitos.com/home/

Disclaimer: I have no financial or commercial interest in these food chains. Just good food.

Enjoy,
Ed
Old 29th June 2018, 02:04 PM   #11
kronckew

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando
Precious info Wayne, thanks.
By the way, when have you last been in these places ... hasn't Gilly's closed in 1989 ?
Guess we will have to find a similar alternative. San Jacinto site and the batlleship sound fine, though.
Sad about Gilly's, was last there in the mid '70's - I'm sure there must be an equivalent....Try Mexican food and steak houses, but steer away from the fast food chains...Some of the best are little more than a garage with a dirt floor. Seafood in Kemah, on the coast near San Jacinto is well known for their seafood restaurants. hopefully still there.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2018, 05:18 PM   #12
fernando

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edster
You will of course need to eat on your trip I recommend Pappadeaux's Seafood Kitchen. More Louisiana Cajun than Tex-Mex, but culturally relevant to the TX Gulf Coast and great. They are in all three of your cities and can be located on the attached link. I used to go to the one on Rt. 59 SW in Stafford just outside of Houston. Highly recommend the Crawfish Etouffee & Popcorned crawfish mixed platter.
https://pappadeaux.com/menu/...
Sorry i (nearly) missed your post Ed. Seafood kitchen ... yes .