Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 30th March 2012, 06:58 PM   #1
G. McCormack

Cool looking blade. Sadly it looks like it's lost half of it's heat treat, if it was ever hardened.
G. McCormack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2012, 11:44 PM   #2
David R

I have began proper cleaning of the blade, starting with the old coke soak, getting the first layers off, so to speak. Interestingly, a third of the width of the blade, along the edge, has come out distinctly darker, along a clearly defined line. So, edge insert or wootz, or is there a tradition that uses both. Any ideas anyone??
David R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2012, 01:35 PM   #3
Stan S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David R
I have began proper cleaning of the blade, starting with the old coke soak, getting the first layers off, so to speak. Interestingly, a third of the width of the blade, along the edge, has come out distinctly darker, along a clearly defined line. So, edge insert or wootz, or is there a tradition that uses both. Any ideas anyone??
Hmmmm... India? We need some pictures of this "line"...
Stan S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2012, 02:42 PM   #4
David R

I am not sure how well it would photograph, and do not have a decent enough camera anyway at present. However I have marked on a photo' the deliniation of the colour difference, it is distinctly darker along the edge. If it is anything like an edge insert or differential tempering it will show after a polish and etch, which is what I am doing next.
Attached Images

Old 7th April 2012, 05:01 PM   #5
David R

I have polished one side, (not to well, alas the pitting is too deep to ever get it back to original finish) and given it a quick etch with hot vinegar. Not wootz, but looks very much like san mai. Definately an inserted edge. So perhaps further South and East rather than India.
Old 7th April 2012, 11:12 PM   #6
steeldust

Hello David R. Could you post a photo of the blade after the polish and quick etch? I have never seen this done before and am interested in the process.
steeldust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2012, 12:37 AM   #7
David R

Default Meed chaithong.

I think I might have found it, here on the forum. I sat at the 'puter for hours just googling SEA knives by country, the "differential" edge made me think more in that area than India, which is "wootz" country. This is the closest I have seen to it, and it seems to fit ok. I just wish the heel of the blade was clearer.
Attached Images