Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 24th July 2016, 04:05 AM   #1
Rafngard

Default Two new Gunongs

Hello All,

So it took me forever, but I finally got around to taking pics of these two new (to me) gunongs. The chatoyancy of the wood on the handles of both is stunning, and I suspect both blades would benefit from a proper etching.

The first one is I think 1940s? In person it's HUGE. I wasn't expecting it to be so big, but wow. There is some loss to the metal (aluminum?) inlays on the guard and the ferrule, as well as some loss to the (bakelite?) yellow inlays. I kind of love the okir on the blade itself. The fittings on the scabbard are aluminum, with what I think are copper pins.

The second one I think might be a bit older (just a guess). I suspect the fittings are silver, and all have nice and subtle okir work. I really love the blade on this one, with it's pointy luks.

Any and all comments and corrections on these would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Leif
Attached Images

Rafngard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2016, 04:07 AM   #2
Rafngard

Default More pics

More of # 1
Attached Images

Old 24th July 2016, 04:12 AM   #3
Rafngard

Default Close ups of #2

...and also a family photo, because I'm a dork :-P
Attached Images

Old 24th July 2016, 06:32 AM   #4
Battara
EAAF Staff

Greetings.

The first one I would agree with your age assessment. Yes the fittings are indeed aluminum.

Your second one I might place between the 1920s-30s. The metal fittings look to be silver over copper (I see copper remnants).

It looks like you are becoming a gunong collector - fascinating aren't they?
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2016, 08:23 AM   #5
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battara
Your second one I might place between the 1920s-30s. The metal fittings look to be silver over copper (I see copper remnants).
Hello Jose,

I would kindly and carefully disagree with you. The sharp and pointy luks, the okir at the fittings and the silver plating let me think that this gunong is younger as the the one with the aluminium fittings. But like always I could be wrong.

Best regards,
Detlef

Last edited by Sajen; 24th July 2016 at 08:54 AM.
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2016, 08:51 AM   #6
Sajen

Hello Leif,

two very nice additions to your growing collection. The big one one with the broad blade and aluminium fittings is a real beauty. I really like this type of gunong with the very nice okir engravings on the blade and this eye-catching bulky ferrule worked from horn, bakalite (I am also not sure about the used material here) and aluminium. When I am you I would polish the aluminium fittings at the scabbard, you can get them very shiny, look to my thread ( http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ghlight=gunong) post #8, I've used fine steel wool with metal polish.

The other one is like said in my opinion later but has a very nice blade. Be careful with polishing the fittings that you don't rub away the silver plating.

You assembled a nice collection of gunongs there, I would be happy when I could add each piece to my own collection!

Best regards,
Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2016, 12:48 AM   #7
Battara
EAAF Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sajen
Hello Jose,

I would kindly and carefully disagree with you. The sharp and pointy luks, the okir at the fittings and the silver plating let me think that this gunong is younger as the the one with the aluminium fittings. But like always I could be wrong.

Best regards,
Detlef
Detlev, I actually should have added the words "at the earliest" because, although I do think that it is a little earlier than the aluminum one, you are right in that it is not a very old one at all.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote