Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 5th April 2012, 06:08 PM   #1
Dmitry

Default Olive oil as a conservant.

Does anyone have photos before and after applications of olive oil? I'm interested in seeing the results after the said oil dries up and cakes up on the steel or iron.
Dmitry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2012, 08:12 PM   #2
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitry
Does anyone have photos before and after applications of olive oil? I'm interested in seeing the results after the said oil dries up and cakes up on the steel or iron.
Salaams Dmitry: Library has interesting discussion on the entire subject just type into forum search~ What kind of oil do you use for your blades?

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2012, 08:45 PM   #3
Matchlock
(deceased)

Location: Bavaria, Germany - the center of 15th and 16th century gunmaking

Hi Dmitry,

I have used olive oil on iron surfaces for more than 30 years; unfortunately I did not take any before/after photos.

I can assure you though that the iron will feel a bit sticky for about six weeks but will be dry and stable afterwards. The only effect visible is a light yellowish color and a somewhat reduced iron shine.

I usually apply a new layer every two years using a linen cloth soaked with native olive oil. This way the iron will acquire a nice and stable light yellowish 'arsenal care' finish.

Best,
Michael
Matchlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2012, 08:46 PM   #4
Dmitry

Salaams, Ibrahiim.
I have been using BreakFree CLP for years, and am very happy with its preservative and penetrating powers.
I've read that olive oil, when it dries, forms a very nice patina. I have some pieces that have been overcleaned by previous owners. I though perhaps olive oil could darken the surfaces to give them a look which corresponds to their age.
Old 5th April 2012, 08:50 PM   #5
Matchlock
(deceased)

Location: Bavaria, Germany - the center of 15th and 16th century gunmaking

Hi Dmitry,

Our latest posts seem to have overlapped by seconds.

You are absolutely right about the effect of mellowing overcleaned surfaces.

Best,
Michael
Matchlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2012, 09:04 PM   #6
Dmitry

Hi, Michael.
Yes, I just read your post.
Trouble is that I could only find refined extra virgin olive oil here. It's lighter in color than the unrefined one. I'll have to go into a different supermarket and see if they have the real stuff.
Old 6th April 2012, 12:37 PM   #7
cannonmn

Many collectors in the USA and a number of the "experts" now voice a strong preference for applying wax to both edged weapons and firearms. Microcrystalline wax is preferred, one trade name is Renaissance Wax. Problem with oils that remain liquid is that they attract dust which then forms pinprick spots of corrosion as moisture is attracted. I have no knowledge of the use of olive oil, I don't think it is much used on arms here in USA.

I have a friend with an extensive "circa WWI" arms collection. He uses "bowling alley wax" on everything, wood, metal, etc. This is not microcrystalline wax but he prefers it, and it is readily-available (he says) and relatively cheap.
cannonmn is offline   Reply With Quote