Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 9th June 2009, 11:55 PM   #1
silverclaws

Default Algerian sword types ?

Are there any curved sword types particular to Algeria. I ask, as I am to make a replica of a curved sword for a belly dancer. Now, this is my interest, as the dancer's heritage is Algeria, I thought it would be nice to supply a prop which reflects the person's heritage and dance tutorage. If not, I will have to go back to the original plan of a mamluke inspired scimitar, but if there is something it would be a nice tribute.
silverclaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2009, 01:44 AM   #2
Emanuel

Hello,

Search the forum for "nimcha" and "berber sabre"...granted both are more Morrocan than Algerian, but both would work.

Mamluk is also good, so would other Ottoman swords like the kilij. I have always had the impression that "belly-dancing" is essentially of Ottoman (perhaps as far as Indian) origin as opposed to Arabic.

If your friend self-identifies as specifically Kabyle, then you might reproduce the flyssa (<-- my avatar). We've talked about this type of sword a lot on this forum and it sometimes occurs in the curved variety. I would personally dislike seeing such a fine weapon used in belly-dancing, but that's just me.

Regards,
Emanuel

Last edited by Manolo; 10th June 2009 at 02:30 AM.
Emanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2009, 11:39 AM   #3
silverclaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolo
Hello,

Search the forum for "nimcha" and "berber sabre"...granted both are more Morrocan than Algerian, but both would work.

Mamluk is also good, so would other Ottoman swords like the kilij. I have always had the impression that "belly-dancing" is essentially of Ottoman (perhaps as far as Indian) origin as opposed to Arabic.

If your friend self-identifies as specifically Kabyle, then you might reproduce the flyssa (<-- my avatar). We've talked about this type of sword a lot on this forum and it sometimes occurs in the curved variety. I would personally dislike seeing such a fine weapon used in belly-dancing, but that's just me.

Regards,
Emanuel
Thank You Manolo, your information is very welcome as myself am used to seeing the same type of sword used in Belly dance all the time, myself being a belly dancer and a metalsmith, I make my own props and yes, the swords are edged, no daring if they were not. The only difference I would have to encompass in making a sword, is the balance point, it ideally should be towards the middle. Blade heavy is ok, but the point hangs low and takes a bit of getting used to when the thing is balanced on the noggin.

Belly dance, the origins are unclear, but in Egypt, it always was a social dance long before it became a stage performance, in fact, it still is a social dance amongst the less religious there. Indian dance has more focus on hands, eyes and head movements, similar to far eastern dance types, belly dance is more hip movements, it being more earthy. Some believe this dance form might very well be the remains of ancient Egypt and encompass North African hip movements brought by in by the Nubians, dances of that region bearing a similarity in hip work.

There are other folk dances in Egypt, which are being taken up by the western world, these include the use of canes and sticks, the movement of which bears a striking resemblance to what one might do with a sword. Of course, the Mamelukes would have danced, and thought they were largely and originally of Turkish design, you can bet they evolved into a different nationality.

Maybe it was a regional, i.e. middleEastern, near middle eastern dance, or it was Egyptian, but it seems where the Turks went, conquered, held power and lived, this dance form went with them.

I know swords and other edged weapons are of interest here, but in a present day when we can only admire, to me, any dance, folk activity involving the things is something to be marvelled at and preserved, particularly here in Britain, where it seems we have laws passed preventing sword ownership unless we have a reason to own them, of which belly dance props is a grey area of that law,( just because some pillock chopped an MP do we have this law, it begs the question, if an MP had not been attacked, would this law be in place)
silverclaws is offline   Reply With Quote