Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 23rd June 2008, 05:32 AM   #1
kahnjar1

Smile 2 MORE OMANI KHANJAR

Two more Omani Khanjar for comment and comparison with the others.
The first one was "liberated" at the time of the Yemeni uprising in the late 60s/early 70s by a mercenary in the Sultans Armed Forces. The blade appears to be "tribal" forged and is very rough but extremely sharp. This particular Khanjar has its Shafra back knife. Age probably around 1940s/50s.
The second one which has gold and silver thread on the scabbard also bears the Sultans Crest on the belt "buttons", is probably around 1960s. It also has the more usual type blade.
Comments welcome.
Regards Stuart
Attached Images

kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2008, 03:12 AM   #2
silverclaws

Very nice, I do like the khanjar, primarily because it is a work of art, the silverwork and the skill involved to produce that silver work. I recognise that skill as I am a metalsmith and the skills do not come easily that I know.

One thing I had been wondering for years is, is there any truth in the heard fact that a lot of Omani silver is from Prussian thalers obtained from a bullion ship that was wrecked on the coast of Oman at some point in the past ?

Also, any idea how to forge a centre ridged blade, is it by means of a shaped swage or is there another method ?

I ask as years ago I needed centre ridged javelin points and I wondered how they could be made without simply welding a bead and grinding to shape.

Interesting though, your top picture, the patterns in the metalwork are not dissimilar from mine, in fact there are a few similarities and was wondering, could these weapons be located to a certain area or singular craftsman by the patterns they employ ?
silverclaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2008, 05:58 AM   #3
kahnjar1

Default SOURCE OF SILVER --Maria Theresa Thaler

Hi Silverclaws.
Check this website http://www.saudiaramcoworld.com/issu...f.a.thaler.htm
for history of the Thaler. This coin was the major source of silver in the Middle East, for weapons decoration, and also jewelery making. It made its way there by way of traders, and also as "bribe money" by the then Colonial Powers, and there was not, to my knowledge, any arrival by shipwreck, though no doubt there were also plenty of those! If you go to GOOGLE there are many other listings giving history of the coin. It weighs 1 oz Troy, and is, I believe very close to pure silver. The edge is knurled in a special way, so there was no possibility that the weight could be reduced by some dishonest individual. They were used also as a trading item, with I would expect, the value being set by the economic climate at the time. These coins are still easy to obtain thru dealers and a cheap price, and I have one as a curiosity with my collection.
Hope this is of interest.
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote