Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12th April 2010, 01:09 AM   #1
J. Wicker

Default Yemen Dagger

I have this yemen dagger, and am looking for some info, on the authenticity, of Rhino handle. Comes with All silver sheath. Any help appreciated. Pic below. If the pic doesn't show could someone please tell me how to post them...it says pic is attached but when I preveiwed I didn't see it.
Attached Images

J. Wicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2010, 02:29 AM   #2
Nathaniel

Hello J. Welcome. It would be nice to see some close ups...and maybe a different background & a little bright lighting..natural is best....but nice looking piece from the photo Not my area...but some of the other guys will surely chime in soon
Nathaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2010, 11:06 AM   #3
Lew
(deceased)

Hi J Wicker

That is a standard Yemen jambiya with a nicer scabbard you have. I am pretty sure the hilt is not rhino but a close up of the hilt would help to make a positive ID.
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2010, 01:29 PM   #4
Dom

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Wicker
I have this yemen dagger, and am looking for some info, on the authenticity, of Rhino handle. Comes with All silver sheath. Any help appreciated.
Hi J. Wicker
very nice yemeni "Dharia" dagger
- type; "Badihi"
- hilt style; "Sayfani"
- area; Sanaa - Yemen
- age; "contempory"
(sources ; "Weapons of the Islamic World" (Swords & Armour)
about the "rhino" handle ... picture not enough acute to give an opinion

à +

Dom
Dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2010, 10:27 PM   #5
Lew
(deceased)

Dom

Weapons of the Islamic World" (Swords & Armour) is this still in print?
Old 12th April 2010, 11:42 PM   #6
Dom

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOUIEBLADES
Dom

Weapons of the Islamic World" (Swords & Armour) is this still in print?
I think so

à +

Dom
Dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2010, 04:56 AM   #7
Steve

Hi guys,
I'd like to give my opinion on this jambiya and a slight correction to the descriptions offered above. It is definitely from Yemen.
I understand the reference to the " dharia" dagger in " Weapons of the Islamic World". However I think what J has is a "thouma". The "dharia" is actually called locally a "joulba" which has less curvature, is slightly larger with a more bulbous end than the Thouma. The Thouma and joulba were worn by a different class of person in the old social structure.

Without a better picture it is difficult to know if the hilt is rhino horn or not. The term " saifani" relates back to a Yemeni family who made jambiya daggers using a particular quality and colour of rhino horn. I would just call the dagger " Sana'a style" as the term " saifani" definitely relates to rhino horn.

The silver work looks Badihi ( jewish family) in style, although i'm not sure about the locket as the picture is poor. Hope this helps.
Steve
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2010, 04:25 PM   #8
Lew
(deceased)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve
Hi guys,
The "dharia" is actually called locally a "joulba" which has less curvature, is slightly larger with a more bulbous end than the Thouma. The Thouma and joulba were worn by a different class of person in the old social structure.

The silver work looks Badihi ( jewish family) in style, although i'm not sure about the locket as the picture is poor. Hope this helps.
Steve
Steve/Dom

Would these be considered Joulba or Badihi? Btw the top one is rhino.
Attached Images

Old 13th April 2010, 04:28 PM   #9
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Steve and Dom, I cant add anything to this, but wanted to thank you for these outstanding assessments on this dagger, especially for the attention to detail. I think the general arms collecting world has long been lulled into the casual identification of these Arabian daggers collectively as janbiyya, and this kind of attention has extended to them the respect and understanding they deserve. I must admit I had not truly understood the complexity and importance held toward these daggers, despite being aware they were very key to tradition in Arabia.

It seems there were some discussions and I believe a reference which detailed the coloring of the rhino horn and the associations to certain family and tribal heirarchy but cannot recall further as it was a while back. Could either of you note more on this ?

All very best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote