Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 2nd June 2017, 06:54 AM   #1
MaharlikaTimawa

Default non-moro kampilans?

Hello all, this question stemming off of the recent threads on the non-moro kris and the long sword kampilan which may or may not be a visayan in origin
threads:
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=14751
(non-moro)

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=4469
(kampilan)

Curiously enough, lots of emphasis on south east asian swords within the moro community and other areas of Indonesia/malaysia and mainland s.e.a
Most have heard of the famous bolo and its ability to kill everything that is vegetation but apparently does not hold the same merit as a sword for war such as the dha or even the aztec macuahuitl.

The picture of the kampilan from the unidentified kampilan thread is still in question on whether it may be of visayan origin or moro. Although the fact that its made from carbonated steel speaks against it being Visayan, any thoughts as to whats the origin of tribe and date?
The second picture was taken from Wikipedia, the measurement of the blades aren't listed but I was wondering if anyone has ever seen a "ginunting" like that before (the biggest one)?
Attached Images

MaharlikaTimawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2017, 06:39 PM   #2
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Hi Maharlika:

Welcome to the forum.

With regard to the ginunting that you show, it is really hard to assess its size because there is no scale for comparison. Also, the camera angle may be accentuating its apparent length.

In my experience, I have seen ginunting of 25-28 inches in length but I don't recall anything longer than that. I don't own an example that long, but I have handled such long versions.

Ian.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2017, 07:03 PM   #3
mross

Here is a ebay link to a long one, but not a kampilian;
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=18622

Anyway to get these pics uploaded before they disappear?
mross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2017, 07:29 PM   #4
MaharlikaTimawa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian
Hi Maharlika:

Welcome to the forum.

With regard to the ginunting that you show, it is really hard to assess its size because there is no scale for comparison. Also, the camera angle may be accentuating its apparent length.

In my experience, I have seen ginunting of 25-28 inches in length but I don't recall anything longer than that. I don't own an example that long, but I have handled such long versions.

Ian.

Hi Ian,

It is true, the angle could possible make the sword like bigger in length. However in regards to the kampilan above, it seems the specimen is still up to debate on whether it is a Visayan piece.
It is apparent to me that the animist Visayans don't seem to have the same level of advances in comparison to their south east asian brothers including the moros. They seem to have the sophistication in terms of weaponry and architecture as the Papuan people.
I have yet to see a sword that rivals the laminated steel and height of the 3 foot swords used in Indonesia and Mindinao.
Old 2nd June 2017, 07:40 PM   #5
MaharlikaTimawa

Quote:
Originally Posted by mross

Uploading them on photo bucket is a good way of keeping those photos up. Posting them in threads makes it easier to google with the right key words.

In regards to the sword you referencing, that seems like a later type made after the 19th century. What I'm looking deep into stems off of he more pre-colonial weaponry of the animist Visayans and southern people of Luzon.
As stated before, those listed people(s) don't seem to be on par with their south east asian brothers in the weapons department, let alone architecture.
Old 3rd June 2017, 12:46 AM   #6
Battara
EAAF Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mross

I'm afraid not - tried but most of the pictures are already gone.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2017, 10:14 AM   #7
MaharlikaTimawa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian
Hi Maharlika:

Welcome to the forum.

Ian.

Do you know of any books or sources that refer to 3 feet long swords used by the Visayans or the animists in Luzon? The only thing I could fine was Henry William Scotts "Barangay" which claimed that the Kampilan was a common sword used by the visayans.