Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 2nd September 2007, 02:07 PM   #1
Tim Simmons

Question Kukri info please

This one is for Spiral. There was an all things military fare near me today. I took a bundle of old junk there and came home with two new bits of old junk.

Side opening scabbard with a small but acceptable amount of damage. Nice horn handle with carved section. The bolster part appears to be silver, I have not tested it yet but I am pretty sure it is. The weapon out of the scabbard weighs 450g, I do not know why the weight seems to be important when discussing Kukri. The blade is 32.5cm long, total length 46cm from tip to tip in a straight line. I think the blade may be a little fancy also but I am not sure about try to make it show. Not really my sort of thing. Possibly 19th century?

Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2007, 03:52 PM   #2
spiral

Thats is a very lovely & to some collectors a valuable kukri Tim. Its a good one.

The weight helps see whether they are fighter or utility piece or indeed both in design. Just a glance says yours is a fighter though.

Thats defintly 19th century,

Well made , high quality piece, The scabbard shows Indian origin.

That was a good box of junk in my boo!

I doubt if I have much in my collection that you would be after, but its possible.But cash is no problem if you decide its not the piece for you. To me I would say it looks like a keeper though.

Spiral
spiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2007, 04:06 PM   #3
Berkley

Quote:
Thats is a very lovely & to some collectors a valuable kukri Tim. Its a good one.
And all this time I thought "British understatement" was an outmoded sterotype .
(The exuberant American equivalent would be ""Magnificent!").
Berkley
Berkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2007, 04:21 PM   #4
spiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berkley
And all this time I thought "British understatement" was an outmoded sterotype .
(The exuberant American equivalent would be ""Magnificent!").
Berkley

Yes, well as you already know Berk when I talk of my own kukri, Andreas always says I am the master of the under statement!

But Tims English as well!

Spiral
Old 2nd September 2007, 04:39 PM   #5
katana

Even though I have very little 'Kuk' knowledge....I can see that its a lovely example...love the scabbard as well
katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2007, 06:15 PM   #6
Lew
(deceased)

Tim

That is an exquisite example of a Hanshee style kukri one of the best I have ever seen. The scabbard may be a later addition though.

Congrats

Lew
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2007, 06:37 PM   #7
Tatyana Dianova

I really love this "junk" Just interesting, what was the second "junk" you've bought?
Tatyana Dianova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2007, 06:56 PM   #8
spiral

Can you do a photo close up of the horn end grain on handle Tim? I think it might be rhinohorn from the fleck in the side picture.

I think Louie is right it doesnt realy look like the original scabbard. In my intial excitment I didnt notice that.

The term hanshee seems to be a past misuderstanding friom the Hansiya which is a sickle. Often such long handled pieces like these are callled Lambendh, which means long handle, but thats all just semantics realy.

It a lovley very old, crescent shaped fighting kukri. With An intresting Indian scabbard from another kukri..

Spiral
Old 2nd September 2007, 07:20 PM   #9
Tim Simmons

Thanks everyone. I had an idea it was nice as did the seller but nobody else had shown any interest. I am broke even though the price was not too high, he suggested a swap so I went home and came back with a bundle of stuff. he will sell them and make money on Zulu, Congo, Sudan and others. Perhaps sooner than he could sell the Kukri. I now start to feel that perhaps I got the best deal, sweet cos I am not a dealer.
Back to the kukri. I think it is Rhino horn, when I compere it to some other piece which is a bit darker but I have seen some very pale coloured horn. As to the scabbard, I do not know if it is original or not. It fits well and the withdraw ware fits the weapon. This picture shows a better view of how well it fits.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2007, 09:04 PM   #10
spiral

Sounds like the scabbards been with the kukri for a long time Tim,

Usualy the majority of these kukris have Kothimara Silver fittings to scabbard or quill work instead.

Heres one of mine Of the early long handled crescent design that yours evolved from.

The silver fret work is breathtaking I think.

Just a shame its not Rhino or gold to go with it!

The scabbard with yours looks like the ones that usuly look like this.{they come with variation in curve & waiste of course, many more like yours.}

{photos copied off ebay years ago I think? if it breaches anyones copywright or wishes please contact & I will remove it immediatly.}

Your second from top photo shows the amount the width differance between kukri & scabbard. And the bolster clearly doesnt match the fit at top of scabbard, with a top quality kukri like yours the original would.

But they do compliment each other & look very good.

I am sure the kukri & handle look familar, but I cant recall where, maybe photos of an old collection or something.

Spiral
Old 3rd September 2007, 02:51 AM   #11
Ferguson

Tim?

Stunning. Lovely. Gorgeous.

Sweet!

Steve
Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2007, 07:06 PM   #12
Henk

Tim,

You did very very well!!!

Congrats with this superb piece!!!
Henk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2007, 10:47 PM   #13
Andrew

Very nice, Tim.

How about some close-ups of the blade as well? There looks like perhaps some interesting things going on, particularly along the edge. Maybe lighting artifacts, but I wonder if this was differentially hardened.
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2007, 02:10 AM   #14
Runjeet Singh

Spiral,

I think I can take claim for that image from Ebay....I managed to find some more detailed images of the same Kukri. I have had another in years gone by, but could not find pictures of that one.....anyhow here's the link:

http://www.akaalarms.com/smallEdged/curvedSOLD.jpg

The file is a large one, if your internet browser shrinks it, just double click.....should maximise it.

Cheers,
Runjeet
Runjeet Singh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2007, 06:32 AM   #15
inveterate

Another similiar to Runjeet's
Attached Images

inveterate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2007, 08:50 AM   #16
spiral

Thanks Runjeet! There interesting kukris, strange beasts indeed!

Nice one Rod, Think you had an older one with similar scabbard & chape as well perhaps? straiter blade though? Some sort of Inscription on the blade , I think? But my memorey may not have it quite right.Or it might have been another collection?

Andrew, All Nepali,Indian & Afgan kukris are differentialy hardend. Thats how there made. They usualy use boiling water from a Teapot to do it!

Spiral
Old 5th September 2007, 01:29 PM   #17
Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiral
Andrew, All Nepali,Indian & Afgan kukris are differentialy hardend. Thats how there made. They usualy use boiling water from a Teapot to do it!

Spiral
Thanks, Spiral. I didn't know that. I guess my eye is getting better for that.
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2007, 02:53 PM   #18
Runjeet Singh

All,
I dont know of any references to these types of Kukris, somebody please enlighten me if you can!
However, it seems to me....from the wackiness of the curve, and the style of scabbard, these kukris are typical Indian. Just my opinion,
Cheers,
Runjeet
Runjeet Singh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2007, 06:36 PM   #19
spiral

I agree Runjeet, Definatly not Nepali, I always guess at India, Perhaps Punjab or even Afghanistan way, they seem made for quite large hands, those I have seen.

No evidence about it though.

Spiral
Old 15th September 2007, 07:38 PM   #20
derek

Just catching up on some threads and I have to say that's a beauty! Nice find.

-d
derek is offline   Reply With Quote