Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10th June 2007, 08:36 AM   #1
BluErf

Default Return of the giant Minang keris

Acquired the blade with the hulu and pendoko a few years back. Finally had it dressed, and quite nicely too.

The model for the sheath belongs to one of my Sumatran Bugis kerises, which closely resembled another keris from a picture in the book: "Walk in Splendour". The book is about Minang Kabau textiles, art and culture. Some Minang kerises are actually dressed in such Bugis-influenced "Chieftain"-style sheaths. Incidentally, the person wearing the keris in the book was a Minang Chieftain.

The kemuning wood with chatoyancy is rather hard to come by these days, and the carver, Mr Nik Rashidee, had to go through about half a dozen pieces of raw material before getting the good portion for the sampir. The dark colouration on the sampir is not a patch, but natural to the wood.
Attached Images

BluErf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2007, 08:40 AM   #2
BluErf

And off I go for an overseas seminar, so please pardon me if I don't reply in a while.
Old 10th June 2007, 11:03 AM   #3
Alam Shah

Thumbs up

Hi Kai Wee,

Another pretty ensemble. Lovely in every aspect. A work of Art, deadly art.
I especially love the pendokok, an excellent piece, with lovely wireworks and decorations typical of Minang style.

Interesting commentary... (another path of discovery for me.)
The 'air tangan' is familiar, (even without the commentary.)

Congrats!
Alam Shah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2007, 01:57 PM   #4
David
Keris forum moderator

Just beautiful Kai Wee!
When is Nik moving to Cincinnati?
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2007, 07:37 PM   #5
Battara
EAAF Staff

Nice puppy! Is the selut gilded brass and the toe ivory?
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2007, 02:09 AM   #6
Newsteel

Nice one Kai Wee
Like Alam mentioned, the pendokok is really beautiful. Have not seen like that before. By the way, how big is this Minang piece?
Newsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2007, 02:45 AM   #7
PenangsangII

Default composite keris

I've been wanting to get this kind of keris, the tough looking bugis influenced, but with artistic approach of the Malays/Minang or even Javanese.

Congrats Blu for an outstanding piece.
PenangsangII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2007, 02:57 PM   #8
Marcokeris

Beautiful mendak.
I never seen one like this
Marcokeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2007, 01:39 AM   #9
BluErf

Dear everyone! I'm posting this message from beautiful Langkawi, where my seminar is held.

To your comments -

David - Unfortunately, Mr Nik Rashidee has just built a beautiful, large extension to his house, so I don't think he is thinking of moving anytime soon.

Battara: The pendoko is gold. It is an old one, with the traditional red stain (sepuhan merah). The picture may not show the red stain on the gold very well, but also because the red stain has worn off some. This pendoko is about as fine as it gets. The wire filigree work is very fine and well executed, and the telur ikan (fish eggs - the tiny gold beads) are numerous and carefully attached to the base frame. I don't know anyone who can do this quality of work now, but if there is one such craftsman, I would most certainly like to get in touch with him! Yep, the toe is ivory.

Newsteel: I don't have the piece with me in Langkawi, so I'd roughly estimate it at about 14-15inches. The blade is very thick and heavy. So Proportion-wise, this keris is a giant amongst other Minang kerises, which usually range between 8 - 12inches and are not so thick.

The hilt, pendoko and blade are original to each other. The hilt was attached to the blade with resin (fortunately), which prevented a previous owner from removing the pendoko. In fact, the previous owner broke the hilt trying to remove the pendoko. Luckily, the hilt could be glued back with strong wood glue. The hilt's wood is dark, but has a very deep chatoyance. It's beautiful. I keep it because the wood is great, the form is great, and most important of all, it protected the pendoko. I can only imagine about the lost sheath and how beautiful it may have been.

This newly-made sheath is based on the example in walk-in-splendour, so I guess the form should be more or less appropriate to the Minang keris archetypes, and not a shot in the dark (I hope ).
Old 12th June 2007, 02:58 AM   #10
PenangsangII

Default minang vs bugis

Pls forgive my ignorance, but I thought the blade looks very bugis to me. In addition, the hilt & the newly made sarung also looks very bugis also. Could you pls enlighten me what constitutes this blade as minang piece? Thx in advance.
PenangsangII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2007, 03:24 PM   #11
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluErf
David - Unfortunately, Mr Nik Rashidee has just built a beautiful, large extension to his house, so I don't think he is thinking of moving anytime soon.
Perhaps he would like a nice summer home along the beautiful Ohio River...
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2007, 03:24 AM   #12
HanaChu69

Talking Cool!!

Hi Kai Wee

Thanks for sharing and I’m glad to see the close up of this fine giant. There’s no doubt Mr Nik’s workmanship is always the finest, will deliver and meet to your expectation. It’s a wise move to keep the hilt, pendoko and blade in its original form. However, the crackline at the hilt is pretty obvious though.

Hope you enjoy your seminar and don’t miss out Langkawi’s cable car ride.

Take care,
HanaChu69
HanaChu69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2007, 02:40 PM   #13
BluErf

Finally back home, and a tired wreck. Strange that a 4-day seminar is so draining.

Ok, if David would sponsor a summer house, that might do the trick.

Regarding PenangsangII's queries, I cannot put an exact point to it, but this blade does not look like any typical Bugis keris blade to me. The cross-section is more oval than hexagonal. If you look around, you'll see that hexagonal cross-section is an important characteristic of Bugis blades. The peksi is another factor - it is much longer than any Bugis blades I have seen. The overall grace and feel of the blade does not conform to the Bugis norm. In fact, the overall shape of the blade is very similar to this (From Tengkurizan's page): http://tengkurizan.fotopic.net/p32156230.html

The hilt form is not Bugis. It looks like the Bugis pistol-grip form, but it is not. It is an in-between of a Bugis-pistol grip and a jawa demam form. This sort of hilt is associated with Central Sumatra, and probably somewhere near the coastal region. These coastal regions have a mix of Minang, Malay and Bugis influences, and is referred by the Minang in the mountainous heartland as "rantau", or crudely-speaking "overseas".

The pendoko is not the usual Bugis or Malay melaka-cup style. This sort of elaborate pendoko is characterised by having a deep "bowl", and is normally associated with Minang kerises. The gold filigree work is also not Bugis, but closer to Minang work.

Of course we may argue that if it is from a region which has Minang, Malay and Bugis influences, then it is as correct to call the keris a Bugis or a Malay keris. The Walk in Splendour book certainly tilted my opinion towards classifying it as a Minang keris.
Old 15th June 2007, 02:45 PM   #14
BluErf

Hi Hanachu, v unlucky - cable car closed on maintenance on the day we were slated for an island tour. But there'll be another chance.

The crack is actually not that obvious. The picture was a real closeup and under very good lighting condition. Normally, you have to look very hard to find it. Regardless, it has been mended with Bozny wood glue - now the joint is stronger than before.