Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 2nd September 2010, 11:59 AM   #1
Ron Anderson

Default Large Pacific Island club

I bought this at auction a short while back. It's in a nice condition. It is old and appears to be stone carved. Surprisingly light though for such a large club. It still has the fibre on the handle, and this shows a fair bit of age.

I've concluded this is a Tongan apa'apai. However, I'm not entirely sure.

It has very little ornament. It is big.

That's about all I know about it.

If anybody knows what it is and has anything more to add, I'd appreciate your comments.
Attached Images

Ron Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2010, 06:28 PM   #2
Tim Simmons

Ron, this thread shows illustrations of similar form clubs. Close ups and sizes might help? The binding might suggest Solomon Islands?

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...elanesian+club
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2010, 01:46 AM   #3
Ron Anderson

Hi Tim

Thanks for your response. There are obviously clubs in those illustrations that vaguely fit the profile of my club. But I still have no real idea of what it is.

I am going to stick my neck out and assert it must be early to mid 19th century. It has a fair bit of wear and a pretty interesting patina.

I have a small Solomon Islands 'Malaita' club with the some sort of fibre binding. So you may be correct on that attribution.

This 'pole club' is pretty workmanlike. It certainly has a great balance. It is light as a feather.

I have no idea what sort of wood it might be. It's certainly not palm. It has some blackening which has been coming off over time.

But I'll add a close-up or two a little later.
Old 4th September 2010, 04:47 AM   #4
Clubs & Arrows

Hi Ron,
I'm not sure from the pics, but is the top triangular with a semi rounded back? If so, because the size and the amount of weaving, you may have an older Samoan Kilikiti bat.http://collections.tepapa.govt.nz/Theme.aspx?irn=2188

regards,
Joe
Clubs & Arrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2010, 05:33 AM   #5
Ron Anderson

Hi Joe

Golly gosh, I think you are right.

That is disappointing.

A cricket bat! That's just not cricket. Cricket bats should look like cricket bats.

I don't collect cricket bats, I collect clubs

Thank you for your insight.

Ron
Old 4th September 2010, 05:43 AM   #6
Ron Anderson

This is an immensely useful forum. Thank you, everyone.

This must be a 19th century kilikiti and it seems and it could've originated from a number of places in Polynesia, including Samoa and New Zealand.

I will hang onto this. It isn't what it appeared so obviously to be – a club. However, it is interesting nonetheless.

Beware of presumption. It will trip you up every time!
Old 4th September 2010, 07:42 AM   #7
Ron Anderson

Now that the mystery has been solved, I'm sure the thread will dwindle to a close.

I'd like to make a passing comment on this because, though initially a little disappointed on the discovery, I'm actually now quite thrilled to possess this item.

You could write an entire thesis on this club – on the relationship between sport and war. The trobiand island cricketers are a far more famous example of how disputes that once would have meant war are resolved through the island's unique adaptation of cricket.

It strikes me this is another example. Cricket was introduced into Samoa by missionaries. This club - though I don't know how old it is – could be a very early specimen of the type. It is stone cut. At least, it wasn't fashioned with modern tools and there is no evidence of a rasp on it, or anything of that nature. It's fascinating how how well it is made for the purpose. it is a great example of function over form. And yet it follows in the proud tradition of pole clubs of the region. It's a war club adapted to the purpose of cricket.

As I mentioned earlier, it is incredible light and well balanced – and now we know why. It's also now clear why the ornamentation is minimal. The patination is also self-explanatory now, as it's clear that this item was made to hit a ball and the wear reflects this.

I wax lyrical on this, which might seem odd, but I guess this sort of thing appeals to the academic in me. It is a wonderful illustration of the collision of two cultures.

At that, I'll let the matter rest. (Though of course feel free to add whatever comments you wish).
Old 31st October 2012, 02:33 AM   #8
elv

Default You may like this even more.

The sennit-wrapped wooden bats are modeled on the three-sided Samoan war club called the "lapalapa," which are based on the stalk of coconut fronds. Bats are shaped to individual players' likings and can be over a meter long; because the striking surface of the bat is converse (just as the "lapalapa" club and the coconut frond stalk), the path of a hit ball is extremely hard to predict. Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilikiti

The O'le Kilikiti Pate you have has not only evolved from a war club - it is quite possible that is served a dual purpose.

The age of it indicates a period (late 19th early 20th century) where Samoans have tended to prefer firearms and imported blade Nifo'Oti over their own locally made clubs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Anderson
Now that the mystery has been solved, I'm sure the thread will dwindle to a close.

I'd like to make a passing comment on this because, though initially a little disappointed on the discovery, I'm actually now quite thrilled to possess this item.

You could write an entire thesis on this club – on the relationship between sport and war. The trobiand island cricketers are a far more famous example of how disputes that once would have meant war are resolved through the island's unique adaptation of cricket.

It strikes me this is another example. Cricket was introduced into Samoa by missionaries. This club - though I don't know how old it is – could be a very early specimen of the type. It is stone cut. At least, it wasn't fashioned with modern tools and there is no evidence of a rasp on it, or anything of that nature. It's fascinating how how well it is made for the purpose. it is a great example of function over form. And yet it follows in the proud tradition of pole clubs of the region. It's a war club adapted to the purpose of cricket.

As I mentioned earlier, it is incredible light and well balanced – and now we know why. It's also now clear why the ornamentation is minimal. The patination is also self-explanatory now, as it's clear that this item was made to hit a ball and the wear reflects this.

I wax lyrical on this, which might seem odd, but I guess this sort of thing appeals to the academic in me. It is a wonderful illustration of the collision of two cultures.

At that, I'll let the matter rest. (Though of course feel free to add whatever comments you wish).
elv is offline   Reply With Quote