Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 17th April 2009, 01:41 PM   #1
colin henshaw

Default Kaskaras from The Battle of Omdurman ?

Hi

I am posting pictures of these four Sudanese Kaskaras for comment. They all came together and had loops of old copper wire round the hilts, for hanging up. All were quite rusty, and I have been cleaning them.

It occurred to me that they are all slightly different types, so maybe they were a representative sample, collected from the battlefield. (perhaps this is being too fanciful).

The sword at the top of the image has engraved - star, sunburst and man in the moon, on both sides of the blade (difficult to photograph). All the hilts are damaged/fragmentary to some extent, although this has the advantage of showing their construction.

Can anyone identify which blades would be imported and which are native-made ? Also, are there any references to the collection of trophies after the Battle of Omdurman in 1898 ?

Many thanks
Attached Images

colin henshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2009, 03:05 PM   #2
Lee
EAAF Staff

Thumbs up Nice!

All four appear to have 'trade blades' of European origin and this is indeed a very nice assortment of the sorts of blades which may be encountered.

The top one with the engraved decoration appears to have a blade of the same type as may be seen in the takouba in the logo graphic at the top of this page. The Briggs monograph also shows a kaskara with this style of blade (and dates it relatively early) and I have also seen one other kaskara having one of these blades with this engraving and a fuller starting with a squared off origin well beyond the forte.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2009, 07:53 PM   #3
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi Colin,
I completely agree with Lee, whose expertise and writing on these simple but outstanding Sudanese broadswords is well established here. These are very nice and sound examples of these battle trophies from a profoundly important period in British colonial history.

These are as noted ,characteristically mounted with European trade blades, and the top one with the central fuller extending fully to the blade tip, is of earlier form. The example with the pommel cap missing, has the crossguard with the central 'X' and flared quilllons typical of the swords coming from the eastern Sudan in Darfur, and while in some degree present at Omdurman, were more unique as trophies from that battle. This is primarily because Darfur tribes were mostly resistant in joining with the Mahdist movement, perhaps due to thier prevalent associations with the Senussi factions to the west.

With regard to the collection of trophies from Omdurman in 1898, and during the ensuing occupation. A very good essay on this subject by Michael Stevenson in 2002, cites as follows:

"...the British admiration for an enemy intensified thier desire to collect war trophies".
Maj. Gen. Sir Alexander Bruce Tulloch

"...our men were perfect, but the Dervishes were superb beyond perfection. It was the largest, best and bravest army that ever fought against us for Mahdism and it died worthy of the huge empire that Mahdism won and kept so long".
G.W.Stevens War Correspondent ,after Omdurman 1898

It seems ironic that Omdurman was considered a punitive expedition in vengeance for the death of Sir Gen. Charles Gordon at Khartoum 1885,
while the Mahdi himself, had the deepest respect for him, and was deeply angered and saddened at his death.

The volume of war trophies collected from the Sudan after Omdurman seems almost unimaginable, not to mention the literal industry that evolved selling these items to tourists in subsequent years.

All best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2009, 08:19 PM   #4
colin henshaw

Many thanks Lee and Jim for your most informative comments.

Should you ever visit Scotland, I can recommend a visit to Blair Castle in Perthshire - in the ballroom is a fantastic collection of swords, drums, daggers, jibbehs etc, etc, brought back from Omdurman by Lord Tullibardine in 1898.

Best regards
Colin
Old 17th April 2009, 10:41 PM   #5
Lew
(deceased)

Here is a Omdurman dagger dated 1898.
Attached Images

Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2009, 11:14 PM   #6
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

You bet Colin, thank you for the wonderful note on that collection....perhaps one day!!!!

All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2009, 04:47 AM   #7
Lew
(deceased)

Colin

You might find this of interest? Seems that the kaskara still plays a major role even in todays Beja society.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHIQQpHnAAw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e18jOkmOpgs&NR=1
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2009, 12:47 PM   #8
colin henshaw

Very interesting Lew. I wonder if the Beja still make kaskaras, or if the ones in the clips are heirloom pieces ?

Regards
Colin
Old 19th April 2009, 03:58 PM   #9
Emanuel

Nice swords and interesting videos. Notice how thin and flexible the kaskaras in the videos are. Are the trade blades just as flexible? They seem much thicker to me.

Emanuel
Emanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2009, 04:25 PM   #10
colin henshaw

Hi Emanuel

Good point...my kaskara blades are a bit flexible, but not so much as the ones in the videos I think, and mine are thicker. Maybe this means the video kaskaras are of recent manufacture ? don't know...

(I have seen some kaskaras with what seem to be thin sheet steel blades, often completely acid etched with Arabic or pseudo-Arabic).

Regards