Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi

Old 15th December 2011, 11:30 AM   #1
Pusaka

Default The traditional art of keris making

What’s your thoughts on this article in which Pak Mazin's says that the keris he makes are actually made of seven metals literally which I always thought was symbolic rather then literal. Is it possible that “some” keris are actually made from a complex alloy of seven metals?

According to Pak Mazin, making a keris is a very compartmentalised operation, starting with acquiring hardwoods from the jungle for the sarong (casing) and ulu (handles). Kemuning, sena, petai belalang and surian are some of his favourite woods. Then begins the process of carving and polishing them, but probably the most difficult part of the whole process is the making of the bilah (blade). For this, he has to forge seven types of metals over a hot fire in his workshop and to hammer the blade into the required shape.

Pak Mazin lives in the village with some of his 12 children. In recognition of his skills, the government has, recently, helped finance the building of a small showroom next to his house where visitors can view his works or make a purchase.So the next time you visit Kuala Kangsar, make a detour to Padang Changkat to visit the master keris maker

http://sitbatan.blogspot.com/2010/12/art-of-keris.html
Pusaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2011, 11:49 AM   #2
Pusaka

Also:

"Knowledge is the most basic is to be smart and know the type of steel used. Kris is a mixture of iron to make various types of kinds of fresh iron, steel and iron melela.

"For example, an iron nail is fresh, and spring saw the vehicle is steel, while steel melela is a combination of both types of iron may be, for example, windows home iron. Iron was incorporated and merged so compressed, that can be forged to form a kris, "he said.

Based on what we inherited from generation to generation to generation, tips on choosing Iron according to three basic types of these options must also be based on seven basic types of metal begins with the letter 'P', ie nails, umbrella, knife, nipple, fences, knives and forks.

Seven layers of solid iron combined will be forged and made in the book and the type of keris required.

EDIT> Another thing that some might find interesting is the mixture used to bring up the pamor. Usually people use arsenic however it is stated that pak Mazin uses a mixture of yellow sulphur, salt, vinegar and water. The keris is left in this mixture for one week to bring out the pamor.

Translated from
http://kerinchiarts.blogspot.com/201...zin-kuala.html

Last edited by Pusaka; 15th December 2011 at 12:10 PM.
Old 15th December 2011, 10:35 PM   #3
A. G. Maisey

When people talk about seven different kinds of metals, they are talking about seven different kinds of ferric material in other words seven different kinds of iron or steel or iron/steel alloy. Sometimes these different kinds of materials are not really different upon analysis, but rather have different sources or have been used for different original purposes.

I first used the Malay method to expose pamor when I was in my teens, more than 50 years ago, I think I found the recipe in Bastin, if not Bastin, it was another book written by an Englishman in Malaya in the 19th century. It called for sulphur, rice water, salt, and for the blade to be covered in this and to be wrapped in a banana leaf for a number of days. I used this method a few times, but then I discovered the arsenic method, and found it to be much more effective
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2011, 12:41 PM   #4
PenangsangII

the problem with forging 7 metal alloy is that the keris as the finnished product without slorok or baja. The metals are forged together and the pattern welding will bring out unidentifiable pamor. Most often this type of keris is not tempered for not wanting to risk breakage of the layers
PenangsangII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2011, 06:55 PM   #5
A. G. Maisey

Depends on construction.

It is possible to forge just the pamor from 7 different ferric materials --- or 107 if one wishes --- this then becomes pamor sanak, and you can still put in the slorok.

If you just forge the ferric materials together you get a kind of mechanical damascus, and how good it is depends on the materials and the heat treat.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2011, 07:06 PM   #6
Pusaka

Is anyone here familiar with the name of the 16 types of Iron and the colours/musical notes. Below is an example of what I am talking about.
The translation is not good but if you take the handle off your keris and flick the blade it will produce a sound. In ancient times they put the sounds produced into 16 categories with a sound and colour for each type of iron used.

1 Like the sound of buzzing bees, usually have the prestige of such a dagger curved or wavy, the name of the iron Coral Deer, quiet and patient benefits.
2 Guurrr ... The color green metallic iron. iron Karindu name Aji, the benefits to the authority, get rich quick and good position.
3 Bluish purple color Guunggg BSI, iron Walulin name, the benefits a healthy body, respected people, easy to solve the problem.
4 Duuungg ... clear blue color of the iron metal name Aji Windu, the benefits to safety.
5 Nonggg ... Color greenish yellow iron, iron Walangi name, the benefits are fluent in food and clothing, and good for career pengasihan savings and loans.
6 Preng ... Color bluish-white metal, iron Melelaruyun name, its benefits to kedigjayaan or strength.
7 Nong-Ngong .... Color jet black iron, iron Warani name, its benefits can reach a high degree, rich and always successful in running the government.
8 Color buzzing black metal moss, name Terate iron, the benefits to pengasihan
9 Tuuunggg .... The color of raw white iron, iron Malelagedaga name, patient benefits, and always pitied.
10 ... The color white Trungg raw iron, iron Kanthot name, its benefits for family peace.

http://artikel.idris-nawawi.com/?p=85
Old 16th December 2011, 07:29 PM   #7
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pusaka
Is anyone here familiar with the name of the 16 types of Iron and the colours/musical notes. Below is an example of what I am talking about.
The translation is not good but if you take the handle off your keris and flick the blade it will produce a sound. In ancient times they put the sounds produced into 16 categories with a sound and colour for each type of iron used.

1 Like the sound of buzzing bees, usually have the prestige of such a dagger curved or wavy, the name of the iron Coral Deer, quiet and patient benefits.
2 Guurrr ... The color green metallic iron. iron Karindu name Aji, the benefits to the authority, get rich quick and good position.
3 Bluish purple color Guunggg BSI, iron Walulin name, the benefits a healthy body, respected people, easy to solve the problem.
4 Duuungg ... clear blue color of the iron metal name Aji Windu, the benefits to safety.
5 Nonggg ... Color greenish yellow iron, iron Walangi name, the benefits are fluent in food and clothing, and good for career pengasihan savings and loans.
6 Preng ... Color bluish-white metal, iron Melelaruyun name, its benefits to kedigjayaan or strength.
7 Nong-Ngong .... Color jet black iron, iron Warani name, its benefits can reach a high degree, rich and always successful in running the government.
8 Color buzzing black metal moss, name Terate iron, the benefits to pengasihan
9 Tuuunggg .... The color of raw white iron, iron Malelagedaga name, patient benefits, and always pitied.
10 ... The color white Trungg raw iron, iron Kanthot name, its benefits for family peace.

http://artikel.idris-nawawi.com/?p=85
This is an interesting topic for me Pusaka. I have always been drawn to blades that "sing" and i have been curious about how the tone of specific keris might apply to the quality of the blade.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2011, 08:45 PM   #8
Pusaka

The 16 names of the types of iron varies, here are two lists one with names and the other with the name of the iron followed by the sound it makes.

1 Ambal, 2 Balitung, 3 kamboja, 4 karang, 5 kijang, 6 katub, 7 kenur, 8malela, 9 mangangkang,10 pulasani, 11 terate, 12 tumbuk, 13 tumpang,
14 welangi, 15 werani, 16 winduaji

1 Karang kijang = like the sound of buzzing bees
2 Puraseni = Gurrr
3 Mangkang Laki Laki = Drung
4 Mangkang Perempuan = Like rubbing salt together
5 Walulin = Gung
6 Ktub = Kun
7 Kamboja = Hub
8 Ambal = Da
9 Windudi = Kha
10 Tumpang = Aba
11 Werani = Um
12 Welangi = Om
13 Tarte = Jan
14 Melelo = Za
15 Kenur = Mak
16 Palitung = Va

Would be intrested to know what info others have on this and alternative lists etc
Old 17th December 2011, 04:15 PM   #9
Pusaka

Found another list:

Karangkijang, iron is a fiber such as sea water, this is the 'priest' of iron; black rather blue; if beaten slow voice sounds like bees to fly. Power metal is cool and powerful.

Pulasani, iron that looks like stone Asih, silvery green color / nyamberlilen; if beaten slowly sound: Gurr ... Power is sincere, bring food and degrees, both used as the hereditary material.

Mengangkang, the iron is plain, black slightly purple. This type of iron, there are two kinds: Mengangkang men if its beaten slow sound: Drungngng ... (long echo it). Power is excellent, adding that authority. Mengankang women beaten slowly if it sounds like the voice ambrengengeng bees fly. Its power, and be the person to bring sustenance.

Walulin, such as the ironof malela sand (visible crystals that shine in the show surface), the color is rather blue; if its beaten slow sound: Gung ... vibrant, clever appearance (dry impressive). Power is respected, the people, both to keep livestock.

Katub, is like a hair iron, black and slightly green color, shine; if beaten slowly sound: Kung, ambrengengeng such as bees fly. Immune to its power and good for traders.

Kamboja, the iron is a bit of white color, luster fiber; if its beaten slow sound: Ngong Tong-... nging long. This is the 'princess' of iron; the owner can not be adultery. Power is respected people.

Welangi, iron which said came from the sea; colored sulfur; if beaten slowly sounds: Nging ... ambrengengeng sound like bees to fly. Its power for safety and easy to find sustenance, but may not be the money.

Ambal, iron, which is reddish blue, which they say comes from the mountain rock. If beaten slowly, the sound ambrengengeng vibrate. If the material is used as a keris, ambal iron can be powerful and 'draw' other inheritance.

Tumpang, iron is given the title of 'the key of the iron'. Slightly blue purple; The noise if slowly beaten sound: Jrung ... its long reverberation. Power both to its strength and authority.

Winduadi, it seems that iron is derived from the throat Sang Hyang Mudikbathara. White and blue is like glass; The noise if slowly beaten soundung... Power for his strength and fortitude, not submerged in water.

Werani, it seems that iron is derived from Mount Srandil; black quite like purple flowers pupil. The noise if slowly beaten sound: ambrengengeng sound like bees to fly. Power is very powerful, if the owners are in a strong, rank and rank will be increased; if not strong, even the poor.

Terate, iron is black like a mossy, perhaps derived from the stone Asih. If it hit slow like the sound of bees fly. Power is far from the scandal and easy in approach women.

Malela Ruyun, it seems that iron is derived from cendani stone, slightly blue-white, stringy like hair. The noise if slowly beaten sound: Preng ... vibrate. Its power to increase the firmness, courage and faith.

Balitung, the good, the iron is derived from the stone, black purple slightly soupy. The noise if slowly beaten sound: Ting ... long. Power is good for fishermen.

Kenur, is a black iron shine like crow-quill. The noise if slowly beaten sound: Srung ... ambrengengeng. Charged for both merchants and save money.

Malela Kendaga, also called Loya irons; if its beaten slow sound: Tung ... Power to increase its courage and fortitude to keep the faith.

Tumbuk, it seems that iron is derived from Ceylon, slightly yellow, white, sparkling like coral reefs. The noise if is slowly beaten sound: Gong ambrengengeng. Power both to save the property, and the jinn and devils fear Him.

http://kerisjawadwipa.blogspot.com/
Old 18th December 2011, 02:43 AM   #10
PenangsangII

types of wesi mentioned above can be best identified by somebody who is an empu keris or at least a pandai keris. Or maybe by people who live around an active empu. Those are types of "tosan aji" that make up what keris is all about. My guru would call the tosan aji as the essence of a keris and this is what we call the "soul" of a keris. Without a tosan aji, a keris is soulless and it may be called just an 'ageman' or worse as 'keris kerisan' (keris-like object)
Old 18th December 2011, 12:33 PM   #11
Pusaka

But is this to be taken literally (16 types of wesi) or symbolically because I know the number 16 has a symbolic meaning with relation to the keris which seems to be ancient. For example in some systems the blade of the keris is divided into sixteen segments and a meaning is given to each of these segments.
Old 18th December 2011, 01:14 PM   #12
PenangsangII

Pusaka, I am not an empu or pandai keris, nor living in keris making environment. But I do know that not all the 16 types of wesi are compatible to be forged in one keris. The number of metals that is required to form a keris normally is 3 - baja, besi murni pengikat pamor and pamor material. However, to create a pusaka, a few more types of wesi aji need to be added up, though they may be small in quantity. For example, for the keris body, 3 3 types of metal are sufficient. But in order to make it a keris bertuah, an empu would add the 3 with a few types of wesi aji, such as wesi werani, pulasani, besi wali etc. The so called besi aji are not to be obtained by purchasing. They need to be called by the empu thru certain ritual (ie mutih, patigeni and zikir) and to be asked whether 'they' agree to be forged for so and so's pusaka.

Talking about keris would not be complete without talking about the isoteric aspect of it.
Old 18th December 2011, 04:04 PM   #13
Pusaka

One thing I noticed is that so far I have not seen a list in which one of the wesi was from meteorite Iron which I think is strange as every other type of Iron is listed.

I was told by one guru that this knowledge actually related to a secret which concerns esoteric knowledge of the human body i.e. is not to be taken literally but a person should seek to understand its deeper meaning.
Old 18th December 2011, 11:51 PM   #14
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
One thing I noticed is that so far I have not seen a list in which one of the wesi was from meteorite Iron which I think is strange as every other type of Iron is listed.
Why do you find this so strange? What could this possibly tell us about the use of meteoric ore in old keris?
Old 19th December 2011, 12:33 AM   #15
PenangsangII

wesi meteor as pamor material that can be 100 pct proven is in the PB / HB era as Prambanan meteor till today still exist for everyone to see.

in the older era, wesi pamor that was used are from earth, that may have originally come from the sky as 'bapa angkasa' thousands or even millions of yrs ago.
Old 19th December 2011, 02:57 AM   #16
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenangsangII
wesi meteor as pamor material that can be 100 pct proven is in the PB / HB era as Prambanan meteor till today still exist for everyone to see.

in the older era, wesi pamor that was used are from earth, that may have originally come from the sky as 'bapa angkasa' thousands or even millions of yrs ago.
Before we all enter into this discussion of meteoric ore in keris blades i would urge any interested party to search our archives for the many previous discussions we have had on the subject. I would especially point you all to this particular lengthy thread.
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...eteorite+keris
For many, much of what cannot be proven that one has taken as true in life is a matter of pure faith. For many, believing is enough to make it so and frankly i have no arguments with this. There are in fact many things i firmly believe in that i cannot provide any real evidence for. As Penangsang has pointed out we have hard evidence of the Prambanan meteorite fall sometime in the mid-18th century. We know that ore from this fall was in fact reserved to make a limited number of keris, perhaps as early as the late 18th century. I have yet to see any evidence that can provide proof of the use of meteorite in keris making before this time. So any belief that i might have of the existence of keris with meteoric pamor previous to this i must hold purely on faith. If anyone can show me any reference to writings from before the Prambanan fall that make reference to the use of meteorite as a key component to the creation of the keris i would personally be most grateful. Until then i am not sure that i see any worth is creating yet another thread that covers the same old ground of speculation and faith based on current mythologies.
Old 19th December 2011, 03:55 PM   #17
Pusaka

If those lists are to be taken literally then it is proof of Iron being imported into Indonesia from diverse places eg Tumbuk Iron = Ceylon, Kamboja Iron = Cambodia.
You can find bits of meteorite in the UK which are not recorded either because it fell in ancient times, fell in a remote place out of view or was just too small to be noticed, I don’t see why it should not be the same anywhere else on Earth however not really interested in discussing this as it has already been said.
I’m not sure these lists are to be taken literally however because I rather doubt that there are even 16 types of Iron ore in nature.
Old 19th December 2011, 05:24 PM   #18
Jean

Quote:
I rather doubt that there are even 16 types of Iron ore in nature.
There are many many types of iron ores on earth but if these 16 types of iron product bear some reality, it can only be explained by the type and amounts of impurities (carbon, sulphur, nickel, silicium, etc...) into the iron after processing of the ore, which give them their specific properties, aspect, and colour. I would assume that some analysis of these various types of iron were performed in the labs of the Javanese Universities.
Regards
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote