Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 14th July 2010, 09:32 PM   #1
Lew
(deceased)

Default Aluminium hilted jambiya

Just picked this up on ebay. Seems older 1940s maybe blade looks well made.
Attached Images

Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2010, 07:59 AM   #2
kahnjar1

Hi Lew,
Here is another aluminium hilted Yemeni jambiya. Age I am advised by a dedicated collector of Yemeni jambiya is 1930s.
Stu
Attached Images

kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2010, 05:38 PM   #3
Tim Simmons

It would be really good if we knew more about early export of aluminium. I know by 1890s aluminium pots and pans were being made. I found something about the American Aluminiun Comapany {google}. Production would also be in other industrial countries. Were pots and pans cheap enough to be imported and traded to tribal economies? melted down and cast? Aluminium handles could be quite early {19th century} Some chap equiped a whole unit/brigade/regiment with aluminium handle kukries for ww1.

Google history Alcoa
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2010, 10:41 PM   #4
Atlantia

Brings to mind the hilts made from scavened metal from batteries and tooth paste tubes.
Atlantia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2010, 10:58 PM   #5
Lew
(deceased)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantia
Brings to mind the hilts made from scavened metal from batteries and tooth paste tubes.
Probably made from old air craft aluminium parts
Old 15th July 2010, 11:13 PM   #6
Atlantia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew
Probably made from old air craft aluminium parts
Good idea.
How does the Ally handle affect the balance?
Old 16th July 2010, 12:19 AM   #7
Gavin Nugent

Default question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantia
Good idea.
How does the Ally handle affect the balance?
By design, size and function do Jambiya have a 'balance' point?
Are they considered to have one? If so, where is it expected to be measured from and on what plane?

Gav
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2010, 01:35 AM   #8
Lew
(deceased)

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebooter
By design, size and function do Jambiya have a 'balance' point?
Are they considered to have one? If so, where is it expected to be measured from and on what plane?

Gav
Gav

considering jambiya come with a lot of different hilt materials I would say the balance point is moot. Some hilts are heavier than others and the blades are quite light in weight so most would be handle heavy.
Old 16th July 2010, 02:33 AM   #9
Gavin Nugent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew
Gav

considering jambiya come with a lot of different hilt materials I would say the balance point is moot. Some hilts are heavier than others and the blades are quite light in weight so most would be handle heavy.
Thanks Lew, my thoughts too, just wanted confirmation.

Gav
Old 16th July 2010, 03:22 AM   #10
Lew
(deceased)

Gav

I stand corrected I just went into the room and checked 4 of my Yemen jambiya all 4 balanced just behind the blade and they all had different hilt materials.
Old 16th July 2010, 05:22 AM   #11
Nathaniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew
Gav

I stand corrected I just went into the room and checked 4 of my Yemen jambiya all 4 balanced just behind the blade and they all had different hilt materials.
Very cool/ interesting to hear that the balance point is the same despite the material.

I know it the point of balance matters...but when I read the discussion it reminded me of the line in the movie the Mask of Zoro (1998)

"Don Diego de la Vega: [referring to Murrieta's sword] Do you know how to use that thing?

Alejandro Murrieta: Of course! The pointy end goes into the other man!"

I know...corny but maybe it made you grin or maybe just

Nathaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2010, 06:17 AM   #12
Gavin Nugent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew
Gav

Interesting Lew,

I still think a point of balance is moot with form and function of application for a Jambiya of this style and size. Everything has a balance point but what by any nature is the point of a balance point in these.
I can understand a throwing knife requiring a certain point of balance just as I can a sword or rapier but I can't quite grasp the need of a point of balance in these knives.
Can someone please explain

Gav

Last edited by freebooter; 16th July 2010 at 08:39 AM.
Old 16th July 2010, 09:21 AM   #13
spiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Simmons
} Some chap equiped a whole unit/brigade/regiment with aluminium handle kukries for ww1.
Interestin Tim, every "alluminium " handled kukri Ive ever seen to date is actualy some white "pot" metal mix presumambly including large quatities of zinc when handled..

Research by Andreas with the curator of the Maraajaha of Jodhpurs armoury & museam implys the alloy handled "jodhpur"military kukris were more likely WW2 era than WW1

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebooter
I can understand a throwing knife requiring a certain point of balance just as I can a sword or rapier but I can't quite grasp the need of a point of balance in these knives.
Can someone please explain
Gav
Intresting Gav, heres my limited observations.

Ive had a dozen or so "proper" jambiya over the years, all but one went home to Saudi, The Emirates etc. or to Yeminis living in Europe over the years.

They all balanced to the decorative/reinforcment metal strip area behind the blade which is identicle to say the British commando fairbourne sykes fighting knife.

Such a balance point makes for greater speed in putting point to target rather than blade heavy pieces which have more chopping power in my observation.

I guess it means speed was of the essence with these mostly light but sharp daggers in the days when they were made to be used if neccasary.

Ive never had one of the 12 inch plus blades though but would guess they have more weight, power & forward balance?

Spiral
spiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2010, 06:36 PM   #14
Tim Simmons

I know diddly squat about Kukris, I was just repeating the lore. We could be back to pots and pans mixed with what ever is around. Would be cheaper than brass, copper and tin alloyed. Pots and pans would be far easier to cut up small to put in a crucible, especially if done with limited fuel resorces? The thing {when you think about it} about aircraft parts would mean people being really careless with, whatever time period, what would be valuable high tech parts? Unless an aircraft is lost in an unacessable place they are usually recovered for study?
Old 16th July 2010, 07:03 PM   #15
Atlantia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew
Gav

Exactly the same point on my Indian Bronze hilted Jambiya. I've never had one of the long bladed ones that Stu's got a great selection of, but if memory serves most 'normally sized' Jambiya have seemed balanced to the hilt to me over the years.
Which is why I was curious if a light pure Ally hilt pushed the POB onto the blade.
Of course if its a mixed metal from various sources it might be heavier.
Old 19th July 2010, 09:25 PM   #16
Tim Simmons

This chap used to recovery aircraft in 1917. Early days in aviation? If you contact the MOD {Minisrty of Defence} I am sure they will know details of every downed British and Commonweath arcraft on the Arabian penisula? If not still secret.

http://edition.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/eu...ead/index.html
Old 19th July 2010, 10:30 PM   #17
Atlantia

Hers my Indian Jambiya balanced on a AA.
Having the POB where it is, makes the knife feel essentially 'neutral' in your hand, balanced on your index and forefinger. Very 'natural' and comfortable.