Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 5th August 2016, 03:25 AM   #1
EthanRider

Default Authentic? Cameroon Blade

I am trying to work with the owner of this piece to determine authenticity, after hearing a few comments questioning its authentic. From my experience, I can say that
1). The blade is authentic
2). The handle and blade are an original pair

Certainly, the style in which the handle is carved is unusual. However, I found two published pieces that are extremely similar in Rare African Short Weapons (1983), and Panga Na Visu (2009). These similar pieces use comparably sparing lines on the heads, are similarly abstract, and wear neck bulges and carved cowrie shells for decoration.

Having found TWO published comparable examples, I was quite certain that this was an authentic regional style, albeit a somewhat non-Cameroonian aesthetic. However, I realized that both published pieces are the exact same knife - someone simply put a sheath on it in Panga Na Visu.

Has anyone seen another? Thanks!
-Ethan Rider
ERTribal
Attached Images

EthanRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2016, 06:40 AM   #2
mariusgmioc

Hello,

The blade appears to be hand forged and it shows clear traces of age. The hilt also bears signs an coloration associated with wear and old age.

While is difficult to say for sure from the photos, I would say you are right and the piece is authentic and at least vintage.
mariusgmioc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2016, 07:10 AM   #3
colin henshaw

Hi

From the African weapons I have handled, I would say (from the images) :-

a) The blade is of some age and has not been kept in ideal conditions, probably whilst in Africa.

b) The condition of the hilt does not match the blade and is either a more recent production, or the original that has been substantially re-finished. Likely a more recent replacement.
colin henshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2016, 11:41 AM   #4
Sajen

From the patina the hilt shows I would say that it is already long together with the blade. Agree with Colin that the blade is in a sad condition.

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2016, 11:57 AM   #5
Roland_M

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin henshaw
The condition of the hilt does not match the blade and is either a more recent production, or the original that has been substantially re-finished. Likely a more recent replacement.

The hilt shows no signs of carving.

According to an old and very experienced Africa-collector from Germany with his own small museum this is a clear indication of artifical aging.

His clear statement was: No signs of carving = modern work + artificial aging.

Africans are great experts therein creating a nice old looking patina on wood.

Roland
Roland_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2016, 01:00 PM   #6
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland_M
The hilt shows no signs of carving.

According to an old and very experienced Africa-collector from Germany with his own small museum this is a clear indication of artifical aging.

His clear statement was: No signs of carving = modern work + artificial aging.

Africans are great experts therein creating a nice old looking patina on wood.
Hi Roland,

I see clearly signs of carving! Also when not carved, how should be this hilt worked? See the signs of carving between the bulbous sections of the hilt.
Maybe Ethan can post a picture from the joint between hilt and blade.

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2016, 01:28 PM   #7
mariusgmioc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sajen
Hi Roland,

I see clearly signs of carving! Also when not carved, how should be this hilt worked? See the signs of carving between the bulbous sections of the hilt.
Maybe Ethan can post a picture from the joint between hilt and blade.

Regards,
Detlef
Hello,

It can be machined, with a rotating tool that wouldn't leave the straight surfaces resulted from carving with a blade.

However, although it is dificult to say for sure from the photo, I believe I can clearly distinguish traces of carving.
mariusgmioc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2016, 01:40 PM   #8
Roland_M

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariusgmioc
Hello,

It can be machined, with a rotating tool that wouldn't leave the straight surfaces resulted from carving with a blade.

However, although it is dificult to say for sure from the photo, I believe I can clearly distinguish traces of carving.
Hi,

yes it is pretty difficult to see.

The old collector I mentioned said to me, that the traces of carving must be clearly visible, they don't disappear over the decades.

Nowadays they use machine driven tools to work with wood.
The result will be sandblasted (sometimes) and also treated with a great number of different techniques to create a patina.

I have added a picture of African art, which is imho carved with traditional techniques.

Roland
Attached Images

Roland_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2016, 04:55 PM   #9
EthanRider

The blade and handle are original, or "born together," as they say. This is not the issue. I am curious if anyone has seen any other comparable examples from this group in Cameroon. As I mentioned in my original post, there is one very comparable example published in two books. Has anyone seen another?
EthanRider is offline   Reply With Quote