Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 23rd December 2012, 01:08 PM   #3
christek

Hi Matt,

Thank you for the quick reply.

After further research regarding the grip, you are certainly correct that there was not a shagreen grip on the model 1855. There was one on the M1845 (the model I initially thought this may have been) that used ray, shark or seal leather, but this was not used on the M1855. I am still unsure of the material that consists of the grip; you may be correct suggesting horn. The markings on the spine have been suggested similar to the script used by Chatellerault in the 1850's using the Nl e (The French used 'superscript' small letters in their abbreviations) which stood for 'Nationale' after the abdication of King Louis-Phillipe and the beehive was the stamp used by Solingen maker Samuel Hoppe of Solingen 1827-1885 (thanks Jim ). So I agree that it is a certainty that this sword dates from 1855-85; I wish I could narrow it down even further! A shame that the relative norm of dating these swords on the spine was not utilised on this one!

Thanks again for your input.
Have a great festive season and all the best for the New Year!

Kind regards,
Chris
christek is offline   Reply With Quote