Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 12th January 2019, 10:53 AM   #1
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Default A powder horn ... unusual ?

Do you usually see this version, guys ?
It will be Portuguese but i have never seen one with two opposite horn ends with equal spouts. I don't think one of them is for shot as they both have the same (powder) mechanisms. One for priming and the other for load ? And how does the shooter knows which is which; i see no differentiation marks .
Better pictures when i get it back from a watchmaker friend whom i am trying to convince to reproduce one spout spring that is missing. Otherwise everything in good order.
Opinions appreciated .

Attached Images

fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2019, 11:34 AM   #2
Kubur

Probably for twins
Kubur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2019, 12:07 PM   #3
fernando

But of course; how didn't i figure it out ? .
Old 12th January 2019, 12:37 PM   #4
ariel

Siamese twins.
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2019, 03:53 PM   #5
fernando

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel
Siamese twins.
Well, not literally! Xiphogaus yes, but not from Siam; i got it from a friend collector here in my neck of the woods.
Not so much of an inspiring joke, i admit. .
Old 13th January 2019, 04:53 PM   #6
rickystl

Hi Fernando

Well, it's interesting to say the least. There was a contemporary powder horn maker here in the States that made one similar (less the metal valve spouts) and presented it to a young couple as a wedding gift. It was engraved with both names on it. Sort of a his/hers type of novelty gift. I thought it was a clever idea. LOL

I suspect your's is similar in that it was more of a styling exercise, even if fully functionable. The valves and the carrying strap do look somewhat old. And I like the color combination of the horns.

From a shooter's perspective, I can't think of a practicle use for it. But it certainly is a great conversation piece.

Rick
rickystl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2019, 05:32 PM   #7
fernando

Thank you Rick,
I don't think there is more than one powder horn maker enjoying the assembling of dual sets for wedding gifts .
... As to say there must be a reason for this 'bivalent' device to have been made. Let me have it back and check thoroughly whether there are any differentiation marks and if the two horns communicate with each other.
I am not a shooter, but i think of different gun powders for different types of load; implausible ? .
Old 13th January 2019, 06:16 PM   #8
rickystl

Hi Fernando

While most contemporary shooters today use seperate powders for the barrel and priming (for flint guns), carried in seperate horns (the priming horn being much smaller) most historical evidence from the period seems to indicate the common use of just one powder in one horn/flask.
So I can't visulize a practicle reason for the two functioning spouts, except maybe a novel way to carry a largeer quantity of powder.
It would be interesting to take a piece of wire or similar and see if both horns are hollowed through, or is there an internal divider at the middle essentially making it two seperate horns.

Rick
Old 13th January 2019, 06:39 PM   #9
fernando

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickystl
... While most contemporary shooters today use seperate powders for the barrel and priming (for flint guns), carried in seperate horns (the priming horn being much smaller) most historical evidence from the period seems to indicate the common use of just one powder in one horn/flask...
Well i am not a shooter but i was (army, guerilla war and all that jazz).
... And while an antique weapons collector, i believe a couple of my powder flasks/horns are primers. But i believe that in this context such was not the case.

Quote:
... So I can't visulize a practicle reason for the two functioning spouts, except maybe a novel way to carry a largeer quantity of powder...
Could well be but, why not carrying a larger 'mono' spout horn, like all other humans ?

Quote:
It would be interesting to take a piece of wire or similar and see if both horns are hollowed through, or is there an internal divider at the middle essentially making it two seperate horns.
That's precisely what i intend to do when i get it back from someone's attempt to replace one missing spout spring.
Old 13th January 2019, 06:56 PM   #10
kahnjar1

The answer is simple...it was made for someone with double vision
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2019, 07:56 PM   #11
rickystl

Hi Stu.

Yes. There's your answer. LOL

If there is a divider between the two horns, then one could speculate that it would be used to carry a larger quantity of powder in one horn without the clumsey banging around of two medium sized horns or one of those extra large horns. Once the one horn was empty, you would just turn it around on your shoulder and start with another full horn. LOL Just a guess.

But, if the horn is hollow through, I don't know.

Rick
Old 14th January 2019, 02:54 PM   #12
fernando

Well folks, the powder horn is back with a new spring, a work as good as it could be.
Maybe what i now found out answers some (all?) questions.
The horns are indeed divided my the middle, not one deeper than the other. And, importantly, the hanging rings are placed in a way that, the device does not bend down when hung but ergonomically around the trunk, so that the position of either end is not arbitrary but forcingly with a determined front and back meaning that, whatever is filled in each container always has the same relative position. So, considering that horns did not have measuring devices in their spouts, it is possible to fill one side with gunpowder and the other with small shot, to pour out in a free flow, doses by estimation. And the user would hardly confuse them as, whatever he wanted to fill in each one, is always in the same side.
No need to tell me i am brilliant; i know i am .

Attached Images

Old 15th January 2019, 04:51 PM   #13
rickystl

Hi Fernando

Now that is interesting. And it makes sense. We are use to seeing small shot carried in various leather shot pouches. But there is no reason this double sided horn would not perform the same function with the convenience of a one-piece item to carry. Actually, it's rather clever. Never seen another like it.
Glad you could get the spring repaired.

Rick
Old 15th January 2019, 05:19 PM   #14
fernando