Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 2nd May 2014, 09:28 AM   #1
Robert
EAAF Staff

Default Moro Sword ID Help Needed.

I've have been trying to locate more information or other photos of this most unusual sword listed as a "creese" in this old photo. I believe that creese is just another spelling of kris. Can any of our Moro experts here on the forum identify this sword or happen to have one that they would like to post photos of here for comparison? My thanks in advance to anyone who might be able to help with an accurate identification of this sword.

Best,
Robert
Attached Images

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2014, 11:52 AM   #2
Spunjer

looks like a barung to me, Robert, albeit held in a different angle. notice how far back the pommel from the hand. the pommel's head is facing the camera. it might be a shandigan type blade, causing for the blade to look indented...
yes, "creese" is just a variation on how kris was spelled.
Spunjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2014, 05:07 PM   #3
Sajen

I think Spunjer is correct, look indeed like this!
Sajen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2014, 07:05 PM   #4
Robert
EAAF Staff

I have a rather large shandigan barong in my own collection but no matter what angle I have had it held by someone I cannot get it to resemble the one in the photo. It could be that my eyes are just getting older and my vision is definitely not what it used to be but I just cannot see this as being a barong. There is also the fact that the swords are identified as being of two different types in the description on the photo itself.

Robert
Attached Images

Last edited by Robert; 2nd May 2014 at 07:21 PM.
Old 2nd May 2014, 08:16 PM   #5
VVV

Perhaps it is related to this blade?

Michael
Attached Images

VVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2014, 01:21 AM   #6
Battara
EAAF Staff

I'm with Ron. Creese was an old variation of kris, and early on many Americans didn't make (care to make) much of a distinction in nomenclature.

I also agree that it is the angle and lighting that make the other barong look different to me.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2014, 05:10 PM   #7
kino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert
I have a rather large shandigan barong in my own collection but no matter what angle I have had it held by someone I cannot get it to resemble the one in the photo.
Robert
It looks like you dabble in forensics photography

I too believe that it's a Barung, perhaps one with a longer than usual slender blade. I took a photo of mine, trying to mimic the angle of the blade.

The one in the photo probably has a kamagong Jungayan pommel with a bone insets.
Attached Images

kino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2014, 05:53 AM   #8
Robert
EAAF Staff

I would like to thank everyone so far for their very much appreciated opinions and help on this.
Kino, thank you for the comparative photo of your barong that helps to show how the camera angle can make an object appear very different from how it actually looks. I'm still not so sure that the photos I have posted show a Jungayan pommel on the sword in question, or if what looks to be part of the hilt is actually some kind of debris laying on the ground behind the subject. If you look real close at either of the above photos the very end section (possible Jungayan pommel) seems to be casting a shadow. Or like I said earlier, it could all just be that my not so great anymore vision is causing me to see things that are not there.
Old 4th May 2014, 12:54 PM   #9
CharlesS

Kino,

That example of your's sure looks spot on with the one in the photo.
CharlesS is offline   Reply With Quote