Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 25th April 2014, 11:19 PM   #1
DaveS

Default Centerpiece of our collection

Here for viewing are two ivory jungayyan moro krises. The top kris has a 21 inch blade, and is 26 inches overall. The bottom kris has a 25 inch blade and is 30 inches long. Both ivory pommels are virtually identical, both being 4 inches wide. The top pommel is 7 3/4 inches tip to tip, while the bottom pommel is 7 1/4 inches tip to tip. The top kris has alternating gold bands along with braided silver wire, while the bottom kris is hemp wrapped. Those of you with sharp eyes might notice that when I had the description plates made up, that I wrongly attributed the pieces as coming from Sulu, while obviously they are from Mindanao. These krisses are the centerpiece of our knife show display.............Dave.
Attached Images

DaveS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2014, 11:23 PM   #2
DaveS

More pictures
Attached Images

Old 26th April 2014, 04:37 AM   #3
VANDOO
(deceased)

Thumbs up

A EXCEPTIONAL COLLECTION WITH SOME REAL GEMS A EXCELLENT DISPLAY TOO WHICH GUN SHOWS DO YOU GRACE WITH THIS DISPLAY IT WOULD BE WORTH THE TRIP TO SEE IT ALL FIRST HAND. THANKS FOR SHAREING.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2014, 05:04 AM   #4
DaveS

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANDOO
A EXCEPTIONAL COLLECTION WITH SOME REAL GEMS A EXCELLENT DISPLAY TOO WHICH GUN SHOWS DO YOU GRACE WITH THIS DISPLAY IT WOULD BE WORTH THE TRIP TO SEE IT ALL FIRST HAND. THANKS FOR SHAREING.
Barry: Unfortunately we only do two knife shows a year. One in Pasadena, Calif in March, and one in Eugene, Oregon in April. It takes about three hours to set up a full display and it's too much trouble to do a setup like that at a gun show. We do about eight or ten gun shows a year here in calif, and we just set up two tables for selling stuff. It takes only about an hour for setup, so much easier than a full display.............Dave.
Old 26th April 2014, 01:08 PM   #5
CharlesS

Wow! These pics just remind me of the first time Phil introduced me to you and Lonna and how I just stood at your table, cow-eyed, and drooled!

I not sure I spent any time anywhere else!

That was a great day!....and Phil had to listen to me babble about it for the rest of my visit!

...I am still looking for the elusive ball pommel barung for my collection!
CharlesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2014, 06:32 PM   #6
DaveS

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesS
Wow! These pics just remind me of the first time Phil introduced me to you and Lonna and how I just stood at your table, cow-eyed, and drooled!

I not sure I spent any time anywhere else!

That was a great day!....and Phil had to listen to me babble about it for the rest of my visit!

...I am still looking for the elusive ball pommel barung for my collection!
Charles: Yeah, I still remember that day like it was yesterday, though I can't seem to remember if you might have met Bob Cato that day. He used to live right next to Pasadena and would always come to the show. This must have been about the time that he stopped coming and we just sorta lost contact with him, and now he has an unlisted phone number. We just don't know where he is now. If we happen to run across a ball pommel barong we will let you know...........Dave.
Old 26th April 2014, 07:56 PM   #7
Robert
EAAF Staff

An absolutely magnificent collection Dave, I just wish that there was some way for me to see it in person. I have always wanted a suit of Moro armour but it seems that every time I find one that I can actually afford I am always a day too late. It's a shame that you never take your collection farther east (Kansas in particular) as I am quite sure with all the outstanding pieces that you have that it would be the main attraction at any of the gun or knife show around here.

Best,
Robert
Attached Images

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2014, 09:49 PM   #8
DaveS

[QUOTE=Robert]An absolutely magnificent collection Dave, I just wish that there was some way for me to see it in person. I have always wanted a suit of Moro armour but it seems that every time I find one that I can actually afford I am always a day too late. It's a shame that you never take your collection farther east (Kansas in particular) as I am quite sure with all the outstanding pieces that you have that it would be the main attraction at any of the gun or knife show around here.

Best,
Robert Thank you Robert. We basically are what you would call "stay at homes". There always seems to be plenty of things to do around here, so we don't like to travel very far. The Eugene show is the farthest we go, and that is 520 miles. To most people that is nothing, but sometimes to us it seems like it takes forever, so we are always glad to get back to our six cats and one dog............Dave.
Old 27th April 2014, 03:41 AM   #9
Battara
EAAF Staff

Thank you for sharing. I have heard of you and your collection in whispers for years until you came to the forum.

Would love to see your full collection. And you have some things that I am looking for (naga pommelled barong, or anything for that matter for example).

BTW - both your beautiful junggayan kris look to be Maguindanao, at least if I read the base of the blades right.

On the junggayan ivory kris with gold - is it pure gold or (more likely) gold plated?
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2014, 06:25 AM   #10
jwkiernan

Absolutely fantastic Dave! A dream collection....but there is always "one more piece" that weare all looking for! Thank you for preserving and sharing...again, awesome!
All my best,
John
jwkiernan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2014, 07:00 AM   #11
DaveS

Jose; You are right. Both krisses are from Mindanao. I realized my mistake after i had the description plates made up. To lazy i guess to have them changed after all these years. I'm not really sure if the gold bands are solid or just plated. Looking at them closely they look solid but i don't really know how to tell for sure.........Dave.
Old 27th April 2014, 07:14 AM   #12
DaveS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkiernan
Absolutely fantastic Dave! A dream collection....but there is always "one more piece" that weare all looking for! Thank you for preserving and sharing...again, awesome!
All my best,
John
John: There are two things that i would really like to find. One is a twist-core panabas, and the other is a twist-core barong. At this stage of our collecting career i doubt if we will find either. But like all of our fellow collectors here on the forum i just keep hoping that elusive piece might just fall into our lap when we least expect it. Afterall that's where the fun is, never knowing when that elusive piece might show up........Dave
Old 27th April 2014, 09:54 AM   #13
Edmos1212

Default Mindanao

Hi Dave. Just want to put the record straight. Sulu is a Province while Mindanao is a Region. Sulu is therefore part of Mindanao. Hence, i do not see any problem when you assert that this came from Sulu as this means its from Mindanao as well. The problem will be if this comes from Lanao when you mentioned this was from Sulu.
Edmos1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2014, 02:40 PM   #14
kino

I see Lonna and Dave's display at least once a year and I can never see enough of it. The best thing about being there in person viewing their display, is that, they don't mind you fondling them, the swords I mean.
kino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2014, 04:18 PM   #15
Sajen

Dave, magnificent! Can only beat you by the number of cats who live together with us, we have eight!

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2014, 06:26 PM   #16
DaveS

Quote:
Originally Posted by kino
I see Lonna and Dave's display at least once a year and I can never see enough of it. The best thing about being there in person viewing their display, is that, they don't mind you fondling them, the swords I mean.
Albert: Glad you clarified that statement!!!!!!!.........Dave.
Old 27th April 2014, 06:37 PM   #17
DaveS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sajen
Dave, magnificent! Can only beat you by the number of cats who live together with us, we have eight!

Regards,
Detlef
Detlef: Actually, if you were to count the number of cats that come into our garage where we keep a bowl of food and water, the number would probably be at least 12. We even have on occasion a skunk and a racoon that show up at night. We just never know what kind of animal will be there when we turn on the light and peek out the door, and we live in the middle of town.......Dave.
Old 28th April 2014, 11:43 PM   #18
Spunjer

nice! when i grow up, i'd like to have this kind of collection
Spunjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2014, 12:27 AM   #19
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunjer
nice! when i grow up, i'd like to have this kind of collection
C'mon Ron, you're drooling so much that it's getting on MY keyboard…LOL!
Me too…
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2014, 01:05 PM   #20
VVV

DaveS, please keep posting from your fantastic collection.

Drooling, too...

Michael
VVV is offline   Reply With Quote