Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 8th August 2005, 02:13 PM   #1
TVV

Default A translation from Greek

A friend of mine just got a dagger, on which there is a writing that appears to be in Greek. The only thing we can read is the date, 1959, but for the rest I would like to kindly request the help of our Greek friends here: Eftihis and Yannis mainly, sorry if I am missing anyone else. I have attached a picture of the dagger together with one of those typical small qamas from Bulgaria discussed in another thread, and a close-up of the writing. Thank you in advance. Regards,
Teodor
Attached Images

TVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2005, 02:32 PM   #2
jor-el

I do not think it says anything special. It is just a name (the above one or first name is not clear enough but it ends to "sini" it can be "efrosini" for example) with last name "souvoka" or "soudoka" and lastly the year 1959.

It is probably an old suvenir knife from Crete (after war they became famous).

Regards,
Themis
jor-el is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2005, 02:46 PM   #3
TVV

Thanks Themis, my guess also was it was a souvenir knife from Crete, yet a person's name is a bit more unusual, as those tend to have Kriti or Chania somewhere on them. My curiousity is now satisfied, thank you.
Teodor
Old 8th August 2005, 07:52 PM   #4
Yannis

It is not Cretan knife. The style is central Greece (not ears in the hilt) and it is not touristic piece but a working knife of a peasant. The origin is mainland Greece.

I can read the word Souvala that is a name of a village. I know 2 villages with this name. One in Aegena island close to Athens. The other is the old name of the village Polydroso up to Parnassos mountain. I think that the knife comes from the second.

I still wonder for the other words. TVV, if you put some sugar on it and take another photo maybe I could read them.
Yannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2005, 11:25 PM   #5
jor-el

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yannis
It is not Cretan knife. The style is central Greece (not ears in the hilt) and it is not touristic piece but a working knife of a peasant. The origin is mainland Greece.

I can read the word Souvala that is a name of a village. I know 2 villages with this name. One in Aegena island close to Athens. The other is the old name of the village Polydroso up to Parnassos mountain. I think that the knife comes from the second.

I still wonder for the other words. TVV, if you put some sugar on it and take another photo maybe I could read them.
Much more careful than me. Thanks Yiannis
jor-el is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2005, 04:08 PM   #6
TVV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yannis

Thanks Yannis, I will try to obtain a better photo.
Old 14th August 2005, 12:29 PM   #7
TVV

Here is another attempt at the writing, and especially the first word. Unfortunately, there is pitting exactly at the beginning of the word, so this is the best my friend can do.
Attached Images

Old 15th August 2005, 08:28 AM   #8
Yannis

Well, I can read:

Top: 2KL A code of something, I have no idea for what.
Middle: Ntilazounis (?) A family name. Most possible the maker's not the owner's name
Down: Souvala 1959

I think it is all I can do now. I will look it again. Maybe I can find any referernce.
Yannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2005, 10:20 AM   #9
TVV

Thanks a lot Yannis, I appreciate it.