but is this keris reshaped ore not i don`t know
pleas let me know you opinion

regards Semar
Attached Images

semar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2008, 04:41 PM   #2
David
Keris forum moderator

It looks to me as if it might have been re-worked, but never quite finished, as it is still rather rough with tool marks and all.
Nice hilt, though the mendak looks out of place.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2008, 10:55 PM   #3
Battara
EAAF Staff

Also the ganga is not separate but a line chiseled in to make it look right, thus I agree David - I think it is new and unfinished.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2008, 02:12 AM   #4
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile

Maybe it's just me; but could the wrongko be a reshaped Ladrang form ?

Fascinating piece; the wilah and wrongko with their deep scratches look almost half finished; the jejeran being the exception .

Anyway, a fascinating keris .

[addendum]

Yeah !
You guys are right .
Gonjo iras .
Time to visit the eye doctor ......
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2008, 02:25 AM   #5
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick
Maybe it's just me; but could the wrongko be a reshaped Ladrang form ?
Yeah, i can see that.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2008, 03:00 AM   #6
Raden Usman Djogja

dear kerislovers,

Sometimes, we must think why empus obeyed customs and traditions. Though, when empus trespassed their customs and tradition, there was no punishments.

Then, when we found creations presumed made by empus, perhaps it was clear to us that most empus obeyed their customs and traditions. Any creation which seems too far from pakem, we must be very alert.

Perhaps, amongst empus there was a common conciousness, just after becoming a good followers, they had a small room to make inovation (just a smaal room, not the whole aspects). Because of this common consciousness, from generation to generation people paid respect to empus.

Nowadays, when factually empus are very poor, people still pay fully respect to them. However, some people believe that empus were extinct since 1942/45 (during the japanese invasion in south east asia). At least there is discontinuity before and after WWII.

OeS
Raden Usman Djogja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2008, 04:48 AM   #7
ganjawulung

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
It looks to me as if it might have been re-worked, but never quite finished, as it is still rather rough with tool marks and all.
Nice hilt, though the mendak looks out of place.
Agree with you, David. But I am still thinking, whether this type of warangka is the type of "wulan tumanggal" or "penanggalan" sheath (half-moon) or not. Wulan tumanggal, used to be the warangka in Demak Sultanate (Islamic state in the North Coast of Jawa 1480-1550) era. This was quite similar to the warangka of Bangkinang or keris panjang in Sumatera...

This is just another opinion. (Pics: Wulan Tumanggal from my collection and also graphic sketch of Wulan Tumanggal with Rajamala hilt in one book...)
Attached Images

ganjawulung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2008, 05:13 AM   #8
A. G. Maisey

You beat me to the draw Pak Gonjo. I had this ready to post and then went and had lunch.

Anyway---yes, this is a legitimate form of wrongko, it is wulan tumanggal, or wulan tinanggal, or pananggalan, or penanggalan, or according to some people, tanggalan.

I personally think that only wulan tumanggal is correct, which means "crescent moon".

It is an old form, found on the North Coast of Jawa, as Pak Gonjo advises, but it was also a form found in Central Jawa from the time of early Mataram through to the partition of Jawa.

Anything we might say about the blade is just speculation, but I'll throw my little bit of speculation into the ring too:- notice the way that the pamor has wandered off to one side, and is very badly distributed?

I reckon that the maker got this far with the blade, saw clearly what he had, threw his hands up in the air and said "b***er this! I'm not putting any more time into this thing!".

The jejeran is beautiful.
A. G. Maisey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2008, 09:45 AM   #9
ganjawulung

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey
It is an old form, found on the North Coast of Jawa, as Pak Gonjo advises, but it was also a form found in Central Jawa from the time of early Mataram through to the partition of Jawa.
You are right Alan, even some old people also said that this type of warangka used to be worn by "ulamas" (moslem clerks) in Mataram era.
ganjawulung is offline   Reply With Quote