Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 4th November 2009, 04:20 AM   #1
Vaarok

Default A Barong and a whazit?

Friend got these at an estate sale, and wasn't even sure they weren't tourista. I thought they were neat, and spotted the faint inking on the scabbard of the second that appeared to read 2-03-1945. I said I'd ask some knowledgeable people, and here I be. I think the one's a phillipine blade, and the other African and possibly WW2. Not sure on either and defer to the experts.

Vaarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2009, 04:37 PM   #2
katana

Hi Vaarok,

the 'whazit' is a Somalian sword, typically hilted like the Somali 'billao' dagger. I am not certain if the sword version has a unique name or whether it too would be called a 'billao'.

Judging by the patina and construction ....mid 20th C seems very reasonable , as guide to age.

Regards David
katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2009, 05:00 PM   #3
KuKulzA28

the 'barong' reminds me of a Luzon type of blade, like a pinuti or dahon-palay.. the handle seems to be similar to Bonafacio bolos... I'm sure the resident Filipinos and experts on Philippine Sandata could give you a better idea
KuKulzA28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2009, 05:09 PM   #4
Atlantia

Quote:
Originally Posted by katana
Hi Vaarok,

the 'whazit' is a Somalian sword, typically hilted like the Somali 'billao' dagger. I am not certain if the sword version has a unique name or whether it too would be called a 'billao'.

Judging by the patina and construction ....mid 20th C seems very reasonable , as guide to age.

Regards David

Notice the handmade buckle and spike? Nice to see the little things done with care on a piece like this. Could have just used a bent bit of thick wire, or reused an existing buckle, but they've actually put some effort into making it.
Nice thing.
Atlantia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2009, 05:57 PM   #5
Robert
EAAF Staff

Hello Vaarok,
If I remember right your bolo is called a matulis and is probably from Southern Luzon. If this is wrong someone with more knowledge on these will probably be by shortly to give you the correct name. Could you please post the total length of this piece with the blade length, width and thickness?

Robert
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2009, 12:26 AM   #6
Vaarok

A rough guesstimate on those dimensions is the best I can do without going back to check. I'd say based on when I held it, thirty-four inches overall, about twenty-five less the hilt, by four inches wide at the widest and about 1/3 inch thick, a pretty hefty blade.

I really liked the buckle on the African sword, and the other interesting thing was the blade's obviously forged from several pieces of metal, because seams are visible in it. That classic African tradition of making a new tool with donor metal from a worn-out tool, I guess. Got a wicked, wicked edge to it, so I really doubt it's touristy, seems too well made, as evidenced by the buckle- figured everybody'd appreciate that little detail.

Askari guarding the Suez, y'think?
Vaarok is offline   Reply With Quote