Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 9th March 2010, 07:20 AM   #1
Vaarok

Default Katana blade

I'm fairly sure this is a WW2 vintage Japanese officer swordblade, rather than a rarer or earlier example, but I'm still curious as to maker and provenance.

I picked it up at an auction for a pittance, presumably because, as the auctioneer said, "the handle's missing." I figure I can fairly-easily roust up the necessary bits to put it at least into military fittings, if not find a nice tsuba and menuki more suited to my tastes. For a winning bid of under $200, I can afford to accessorize.

I think I did quite well at that auction.

And, I realize it's a bit out of purview for most of you guys who specialize in the truly handmade, but I was thrilled to find a post-WW1 Czech-made Mannlicher rifle bayonet at this same auction. Not exactly common, since while the Czechs were given weapons from all the disarmed Central Powers, they elected to go with German pattern Mausers rather than Austrian pattern Mannlichers for their fledgling army.

Vaarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2010, 07:46 AM   #2
TVV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaarok

And, I realize it's a bit out of purview for most of you guys who specialize in the truly handmade, but I was thrilled to find a post-WW1 Czech-made Mannlicher rifle bayonet at this same auction. Not exactly common, since while the Czechs were given weapons from all the disarmed Central Powers, they elected to go with German pattern Mausers rather than Austrian pattern Mannlichers for their fledgling army.
Maybe my view is skewed, but as someone who is after a different lion marking on M95 bayonets - single tail as opposed to double, it seems to me I always see far too many bayonets with Czech markings.

However, militaria such as bayonets is usually outside the scope of this forum. The sword I guess fits though, since technically, it started as an etnographic weapons before it was given a military dress. I am sure there are members here, who can help you with finding fittings.

Best regards,
Teodor
TVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2010, 12:07 PM   #3
Rich

I believe the blade is dated Showa 18 (1943) and signed Mitsu ____ (can't make out the second Kanji - possibly "masa"). Likely a blade made in one of the larger Seki factories. Any arsenal marks on the tang?

Rich S
-------------------------------------------------------
Richard Stein, PhD
Old Puukkophile
NKCA Life Member

Japanese Sword Guide
http://home.earthlink.net/~steinrl/nihonto.htm
-------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by Rich; 9th March 2010 at 12:25 PM.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2010, 04:09 AM   #4
Vaarok

Nope, sorry, no discernible arsenal markings anywhere on the blade or tang.

Somebody else who looked at this on another forum said it maybe read Mitsusabu or Mitsuzo as the maker.

Here's another pair of photos, hopefully clearer, if it helps. I just realized how atrocious the first couple were.

Last edited by Vaarok; 10th March 2010 at 04:21 AM.
Vaarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2010, 12:50 PM   #5
Rich

I think Mitsuzo is a likely reading. Not familiar with a Kanji for sabu.

Rich S
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote