Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Miscellania

Old 15th November 2018, 06:02 PM   #1
Drabant1701

Default Origin of photo

I have this photo in my collection. Looks like India to me. Can anyone pin the location more precisely?
Attached Images

Drabant1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2018, 07:19 AM   #2
drdavid

My vote would be Sri Lanka
the chest decorations and much of the headwear is typical for there. More than that I cannot say
cheers
DrDavid
drdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2018, 01:10 PM   #3
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

I would also go with Sri Lanka.

As an aside, the third individual from the left in the front row appears to show the typical features of achondroplasia dwarfism.

Ian.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2018, 08:29 PM   #4
A. G. Maisey

I believe Sri Lanka also.

In some South and South East Asian societies, dwarfs and physically handicapped people were kept by both courts and upper class households as servants and entertainers.

Some commentators have been critical of this practice. In fact, it was a form of social support, in a society where a handicapped person cannot perform normal work, and where there is no state system of support for the handicapped, it becomes a duty of those who can afford to do so, to support those who cannot support themselves.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2018, 05:02 PM   #5
Drabant1701

Thanks for your replies. Sri Lanka it is then. Amittedly I know nothing about Sri Lankan culture, I do however i find a bit odd is that the man in the middle has no jewelry or fancy hat, one would think that that position in a photo would be occupied by a person of status.
Drabant1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2018, 10:26 PM   #6
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

I wonder if those second row fellows were some sort of bodyguard/warrior class.
There are two without head covering and two with; none are wearing jewelry.
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2018, 02:07 PM   #7
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey
I believe Sri Lanka also.

In some South and South East Asian societies, dwarfs and physically handicapped people were kept by both courts and upper class households as servants and entertainers.

Some commentators have been critical of this practice. In fact, it was a form of social support, in a society where a handicapped person cannot perform normal work, and where there is no state system of support for the handicapped, it becomes a duty of those who can afford to do so, to support those who cannot support themselves.

A most interesting note on this circumstance in these cultures and very well explained. I have always very much appreciated your keen insights into the deeper aspects of the cultures whose arms and arts we collect.

Thank you Alan!
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2018, 07:23 PM   #8
A. G. Maisey

Goes with the territory Jim. Anybody who has been associated with Jawa and Indonesia as long as I have would understand pretty much the same things.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2018, 08:16 PM   #9
drdavid

The gentlemen with the shell chest pieces and the two at the back with the spiky headdress I associate with the ceremonial dance and drum groups that welcome dignitaries to a meeting/dinner etc for a special occasion (I was in Sri Lanka earlier this year and they wore essentially the same outfits)
DrD
drdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2019, 06:30 AM   #10
Prasanna Weerakkody

Default Sri Lankan location confirmation

coming in to the discussion a bit late as I just only ran in to it. being from Sri Lanka I can confirm that this image is Sri Lankan.

The image seem to be early 1900's and include a group of local dancers of the Kandyan tradition - dressed in "Pantheru" and "Wes" dancing costumes.

What is of interest is that the costume is assumed to be based on historic warrior armor where the decorative elements were replaced by chain and steel.

the Dances are still performed in Religious festivals and ceremonial events.
Prasanna Weerakkody is offline   Reply With Quote