Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 22nd September 2008, 11:51 PM   #1
Norman McCormick

Default Gun barrel proof/armoury stamps.

Hi Guys,
This gun barrel is from an Albanian/Greek Rasak rifle made in the first part of the 19th Cent, see post Rasak Restoration on the Ethnographic Forum.
I'm thinking that the barrel may be from an earlier piece decorated and recycled to make the Rasak. The stamps suggest to me a possible European, in its widest sense, origin for the barrel. Any ideas welcomed.
Regards,
Norman.
Attached Images

Norman McCormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2008, 04:55 AM   #2
kahnjar1

Default Strasbourg??

Hi Norman,
According to the information I have here, the E surmounted by a star was the mark of the MUTZIG Castle manufactury in Strasbourg which operated from 1793 til 1870. The figure 10 COULD BE the bore size perhaps. The other marks I can not find--sorry but I hope this is of some help.
Regard Stuart
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2008, 09:46 PM   #3
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahnjar1
Hi Norman,
According to the information I have here, the E surmounted by a star was the mark of the MUTZIG Castle manufactury in Strasbourg which operated from 1793 til 1870. The figure 10 COULD BE the bore size perhaps. The other marks I can not find--sorry but I hope this is of some help.
Regard Stuart
Thats excellent Stu! What reference are you using? I would really like to get threads going here with compilation of markings on guns, whether firearms or artillery, as well as picking up where we left off with swordsmiths markings on the thread on the other forum.

All best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2008, 09:48 PM   #4
Norman McCormick

Hi Stuart,
Many thanks for the info. I see there is an 'S' in a lozenge above the star so Strasbourg makes sense. I am particularly interested by this as I know that Napoleon recruited various local regiments in the Balkans the Albanian Pandours and the Albanian Regiment amongst others, see Osprey Publications no 410. It is also noted in this book that the troops used local arms and specifically mentions the Rasak as one of them. It is not too much of a leap of imagination to surmise that a weapon made in France, and probably issued to an regular/irregular, should be recycled into a local arm either later or contemporary with Napoleon's era. I'm sure this has been the same with captured and appropriated weaponry since time immemorial. It would be nice if a date of manufacture could be gleaned from the stamps. My rifle is inscribed 1825 so possibly used in the Greek War of Independence as well. Once again many thanks for the info it adds a lot for me regarding the historic interest of the rifle.
My Regards,
Norman.
Norman McCormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2008, 04:01 AM   #5
kahnjar1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
Thats excellent Stu! What reference are you using? I would really like to get threads going here with compilation of markings on guns, whether firearms or artillery, as well as picking up where we left off with swordsmiths markings on the thread on the other forum.

All best regards,
Jim
Hi Jim,
Some years ago Gun Digest ran two seperate series of articles on gun proof in various countries. One series was written by Lee Kennett, and the other by A.Baron Engelhardt. I was lucky enough to have the foresight to photocopy these and they are my source.
Regards Stuart

Last edited by kahnjar1; 24th September 2008 at 07:15 AM.
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2008, 07:11 PM   #6
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Thank you so much Stuart! Sounds like they put together a pretty good compendium!
As I have mentioned, I honestly have always been involved in the study of swords and edged weapons, but have often been surprised that this publication has often presented valuable articles on edged weapons as well as firearms.
I think the point is that trying to focus study on a single area of arms and armour seems often to miss out on important closely related data and clues.

All best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote