Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 2nd August 2012, 10:22 PM   #1
nKante

Default Best gift ever!

I was given this sword about 2 years ago and just realized I've been selfish
and have not shared it with anyone yet. I am guessing Sudan by the croc and lizard skin, but I sure someone here can tell me more. It has some major damage to the scabbard. I would love to fix it up but I'm not sure where to start. I don't really care about gaining or loosing value. I just want to honor the sword and the person who gave it to me by making it a functional weapon again.
Attached Images

nKante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2012, 02:39 AM   #2
Battara
EAAF Staff

Since no one has commented yet, I will give it a try. First problem is the wood underneath the croc skin.

Second of course is the croc skin. Since it would be insanely difficult catch and skin a crocodile, fake croc skin is the best thing, though hard to match what is already there.

Not much more I can say on this piece.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2012, 05:35 PM   #3
T. Koch

If you're are looking for the most authentic material for your restoration, you''ll need to get a hold of some leather from the Nile crocodile, Crocodylus niloticus.

I know that for instance South Africa and Zimbabwe have commercial farming operations of this species, specifically for the leather and they export a lot of it, so the required papers should be routine to obtain. I'm sure it won't be difficult googling your way to a supplier either.

If you are satisfied with a visual similarity, I say go for your good ole' native American alligator, Alligator mississipiensis. - Once skinned and minus the head, croc is croc, and nobody will be able to tell the difference.

Good luck with the project and please update the thread with photos, so we can see the awesome results!

All the best, - Thor
T. Koch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2012, 05:16 PM   #4
Iain

Any chance of seeing the blade?
Iain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2012, 07:14 PM   #5
VANDOO
(deceased)

IT APPEARS THAT A PIECE OF THE TOP OF A CROC. TAIL HAS BEEN USED ON YOUR EXAMPLE. NOTE HOW THE TWO RIDGES REDUCE TO ONE AS ON THE TOP OF THE TAIL TOWARD THE TIP. THE TOP OR BACK PART OF THE HIDE IS NOT THE GOOD STUFF SOLD TO MAKE SHOES, PURSES ECT. AND IS USUALLY THROWN AWAY. YOU WILL NEED A BACK TAIL PIECE TO REPLACE THIS WITH REAL CROC. SKIN. ITS HARD TO TELL BUT THE OTHER SKIN APPEARS TO BE MONITOR LIZZARD SKIN. IF CROC SKIN IS IMPOSSIBLE TO GET IT IS POSSIBLE TO USE SKULPIE OR A LIKE SUBSTANCE TO MAKE A FACIMILIE CROC. SKIN AND PAINT IT ALL TO MATCH IF DONE WELL IT WILL LOOK GOOD. GOOD LUCK
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2012, 03:05 PM   #6
nKante

Here is a picture of the blade. I managed to seperate the hides from the scabard. I should be able to re-use them. The scabard was made of paper, wraped in fabric, then covered with the two hides. I plan on making mine from some wood panels, then covering with hide. As this is my first time I have a few ?uestions.
1. What ethnic group does it come from?
2. What do the marks on the blade mean?
3. How do I clean and sharpen the blade?
4. What is the most common rookie mistake?
Attached Images

Old 8th September 2012, 07:11 AM   #7
Henk

1. Where the blade comes from i don't know. The more knowledeable members probably will tell and can tell you.
2. The marks are talismanic. what they mean i don't know.
3. To clean the blade search for cleaning and you will find some good ways to do so. Don't sharpen the blade.
4. the most common rookie mistake is to sharpen the blade and clean it with sandpaper or a grinder and you will ruin it.

These swords are not my field of interest, but i like this one. A very nice gift!
Henk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2012, 09:12 AM   #8
Martin Lubojacky

I would see origin of the sword a bit more to the West from what is Sudan and South Sudan now - maybe in Chad (Tebu style blade)
Martin Lubojacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2012, 09:23 AM   #9
Iain

1. I agree with Martin - this would be west of modern day Sudan and quite likely from the Tebu regions judging by blade decoration, blade style and the flattened pommel.

2. As Henk rightly points out these marks are usually talismanic - I am no expert on these particular marks but it is a common pattern on Tebu items.

3. Cleaning - light amounts of oil and steel wool - you don't sharpen it and you don't want to make it "shiny" all you want to do is remove any active rust and prevent it from rusting further.

4. Biggest mistakes you can make are over cleaning and sharpening - in general leave an antique much as it was when it came into your possession.

Its a nice piece overall.
Iain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2012, 09:54 PM   #10
nKante

Thanks for the info. DAMN, I wanted to sharpen it so bad. There are a few nicks in the blade that I thought I would be able to get out with the sharpening. How do I treat the nicks? Should I leave them? I want to redo the handle,and I was inspired by the handle below. What do you think? Are they from same regionby chance?
Attached Images