Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 9th January 2019, 05:04 AM   #1
Bill M

Default 1442 Barong

I just fell in love with this when I first held it. Feels like an extension of my arm. Well-balanced, light, serious even with a thick blade. The unusual handle holds very well. One of my favorites.
Attached Images

Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2019, 06:33 AM   #2
Robert
EAAF Staff

Beautiful barong Bill. This piece has a shandigan blade correct? If not too much trouble could you post the measurements to go with the photos for later reference. One last question, do you plan to reset the blade to the correct depth in the hilt or will you leave it as is? My congratulations on this wonderful addition to your collection.

Best,
Robert
Attached Images

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2019, 11:05 AM   #3
kai

Hello Bill,

I'm with Robert - very nice Yakan barong! Also the scabbard looks genuine. Any age guess for the latter?

Quote:
This piece has a shandigan blade correct?
If this has a thickened edge, it appears to be well worn; this blade may also be one of those with originally less taper from back to edge and, thus, more distinct sharpened edge. Kinda semi-shandigan?

Quote:
If not too much trouble could you post the measurements to go with the photos for later reference.
Yes, please!

Quote:
One last question, do you plan to reset the blade to the correct depth in the hilt or will you leave it as is?
Horn is prone to shrinkage; I'm not sure this is the only reason though.

I agree that it would be good to try to set the blade (and ferrules) if it can be done without invasive actions.

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2019, 11:35 AM   #4
Bill M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert
Beautiful barong Bill. This piece has a shandigan blade correct? If not too much trouble could you post the measurements to go with the photos for later reference. One last question, do you plan to reset the blade to the correct depth in the hilt or will you leave it as is? My congratulations on this wonderful addition to your collection.

Best,
Robert
I will post measurements, soon. I would like to reset the blade, but not sure how to do this.

Thank you for your compliments.
Old 9th January 2019, 05:10 PM   #5
David
Keris forum moderator

Nice barong Bill. I like the blade quite a bit, but i would not consider this a "shandigan" blade myself. Other's mileage may vary.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2019, 06:19 PM   #6
Bill M

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
Nice barong Bill. I like the blade quite a bit, but i would not consider this a "shandigan" blade myself. Other's mileage may vary.

David, just had a moment to comment. I would not all it a shandigan. I think this one is shandigan
Attached Images

Old 10th January 2019, 04:29 AM   #7
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M
David, just had a moment to comment. I would not all it a shandigan. I think this one is shandigan
That's what i thought. Does yours have a sharpened top edge at all?
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2019, 05:23 AM   #8
Robert
EAAF Staff

I was not aware that a shandigan blade required a sharpened top edge. I was going by the protrusion on the bottom of the blade next to the hilt and that the blade itself looked to have a double bevel. Here is a photo of one of the two examples I have in my collection. I do not believe that I have ever taken ones of the other, but if I have I will post a couple of it as well.

Best,
Robert

P.S.
Neither of the examples I have include a sharpened area (false edge) on the top of the blade as shown in Bill's last photo.
Attached Images

Last edited by Robert; 10th January 2019 at 05:48 AM.
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2019, 06:29 AM   #9
kai

Smile

Yup, Robert is correct: a shandigan does not need to have parts of the back of the blade sharpened!

Aside from the strong edge bevel, I‘d only look for a more or less distinct fuller between the bevel and the back of the blade.

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote