Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 27th December 2015, 09:32 PM   #1
Shakethetrees

Default Kukri restoration

This came right out a sealed footlocker of a GI who was stationed in India during WWII.

The grip was loose and so eaten up it pulled loose when I tried to withdraw it from the sheath!

Since the friend who was his Uncle's Executor had sentimental attachment to it he asked me to see what I could do.

Thanks to Battera, I got a piece of water buffalo horn of suitable size and began whittling it to size and shape. I had to make a few allowances here and there because the horn was not quite wide enough, and had to salvage the tip and use it to splice in in a couple of places to remedy this best I could.

I even used the powder from rasping to fill in several voids and along an exposed internal cleavage.

The blade was cleaned the old fashioned way: a lot of elbow grease and successive grits of oilstone, and finally fine paper generously lubricated with fine oil.

Here are a couple of before and after shots.

All comments welcome.
Attached Images

Shakethetrees is offline   Reply With Quote