Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury

Old 22nd December 2012, 02:51 AM   #1
PClemente

Default Dussage Saber

Hi Friends,
Here is a 16th century dussage recently added to my collection. The style looks Southern German or Styrian to me and appears to pre-date the later solid guard "Sinclair" hilted sabers. It has an inscription "IO IO IO I" on the blade that I found intriguing, and research has led me to the possibility that it is a religious inscription. I O appears to be a contraction of the Latin word "ideo" which means "therefore." The implied thought is "ideo... gloria in excelsis deo,"
"therefore... glory to God in the highest." Knowing that such a sword was made and used at a time when Europe was embroiled in religious conflicts between Catholics and Protestants, in addition to facing the constant threat to Christendom from the Ottoman Empire, such a religious connotation seems appropriate. I was wondering about your insight in regards to the sword and inscription.
As Always,
Thanks!
P
Attached Images

PClemente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2012, 08:29 PM   #2
VANDOO
(deceased)

Thumbs up

A INTERESTING SWORD AND GOOD QUESTION AS TO THE MARKINGS MEANING. I WONDER IF IT HAD ANY PADDING INSIDE THE GAURD AS IT IS ALMOST LIKE A FORM OF BASKET HILT. WHAT IS THE SWORDS GRIP MADE OF AND HOW IS ITS BALANCE IN HAND IS IT FEELING MORE RAPIER OR BROADSWORD WHEN IN USE.?
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2012, 09:09 PM   #3
Norman McCormick

Hi P,
Nice and interesting piece, can we see the whole sword.
Regards,
Norman.
Norman McCormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2012, 11:21 PM   #4
PClemente

Hello Gents,
In response to your inquiries I will post additional photos of the sword.
The dussage saber has a leather wrapped hilt that appears either original or a contemporary replacement. The sword itself appears to be of the early basket hilt pattern that emerged in the mid-16th century and might have influenced the various mercenary troops that were employed during the religious wars. It is well balanced and appears to be a fighting sword, and though I have read that such swords were used by both infantry and calvary, the length of this particular example makes me think it was a horsemans' sword.
I would welcome any additional insights or inquiries.
Best,
P
Attached Images

Old 28th December 2012, 09:49 AM   #5
cornelistromp

The pommel is a variation of pomeltype 83, Norman / Barne and can be dated from 1560 to 1600.
because the hilt has a thumb ring at least after 1577, the first known illustration of a thumb ring of this sort is in the portrait of melchior Hornlocher by Hans Bock (cf Norman) .

a number of single edged baskethilted swords of this type are found in Switzerland, see example from Vully.
I think this type baskethilted swords find their origins in south germany / switzerland.
The IO probably stands for Iesu Omnipotentis, Omnipotence is great and Specifically divine power.

regards,
Attached Images

Last edited by cornelistromp; 28th December 2012 at 10:01 AM.
cornelistromp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2012, 01:00 PM   #6
Martin Lubojacky

Hi P,
I am also looking forward to viewing the whole sword, the upper part is very nice.

Please, this is not my field, but are you sure the name "dussage" or "dussage saber" is correct in this case ? In Edged Weapons by P. Konopisky such weapons from 16th century or beginning of 17th century are called "Sabre of Mideuropean type" - I am enclosing scans of 2 sites with pictures.

Also, acc. to some anthologists, the classical "dussage" should employ the "knife like" handle (with simple crossguard; which also better corresponds with the original meaning of the name of the weapon) instead of the basketguard and hilt with central thorn - enclosed please finf 4 scans.
Best regards,
Martin
Attached Images

Martin Lubojacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2012, 02:40 PM   #7
PClemente

Hi Martin,

Your observations are correct. I have seen such sabers described as dussages, Sinclair sabers and tessaks, but looking at true examples of such swords one can see that my sword does not really fit into these categories and can probably more correctly be described as a late 16th century Central European basket hilt saber. I try to collect antique arms of the Thirty Years War 1618-1648 ("try" being the key word) and I thought the sword might fit nicely into my fledgling collection as an example that might have been used in the early period of the war. I have included additional pictures that show the blade, but unfortunately have to play around with the originals to be able to attach a picture of the whole sword (the file size is too large).

Best,
P
Attached Images

Old 29th December 2012, 08:03 PM   #8
cornelistromp

for a dussage, tessack, etc discussion see also

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...hlight=dussage

and even better

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...hlight=dussage

best,

Last edited by cornelistromp; 30th December 2012 at 10:42 AM.
Old 30th December 2012, 10:42 AM   #9
cornelistromp

a picture of an almost identical sword,if not the same sword, from the collection of Gerhard Seifert, sold through the Landshuter Rustkammer on May 18, 2012, lot 379 €1650,-

Gerhart Seifert collection is a beautiful provenance though.

best,
Attached Images

Last edited by cornelistromp; 30th December 2012 at 10:56 AM.
Old 30th December 2012, 07:19 PM   #10
Martin Lubojacky

Thanks for nice photos of complete sword
Martin Lubojacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2012, 09:59 PM   #11
Matus

Sorry for the off-topic note - have you checked the realized prices from the G. Seifert Landshuter auction? Incredibly low prices for hussar sabres (there was even a FRINGIA sabre), an estoc for 2800 Euro, etc.

Did I miss something or is the market that down?

Matus
Matus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2012, 03:03 PM   #12
PClemente

Hi Matus,
I've noticed the same trend, especially in regards to auction prices. I don't know if it is the uncertain economic markets, but prices seem down. At the same time it doesn't look like the savings have necessarily carried over to dealers' retail prices where I still see some unreasonable asking prices. I am also seeing more cases of dealers providing misinformation especially in regards to the dating and styles of certain arms and armor in order to appeal to more collecting bases. Would like to think it is simply the dealer's own lack of knowledge, but one even told me that he dated a gun earlier in order to appeal to more collectors of various periods and wars.
I guess it is a buyer's market in many of these auctions, but as usual buyer beware when it comes to auctions and dealers!
Best,
P