Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 28th July 2021, 09:55 AM   #1
Bill M

Default Software for Collection of artifacts and valuables?

Over the last 30 years, we have been collecting artifacts. For insurance purposes, we need to have/create a database that delineates each article, incorporates pictures, descriptions, etc.

We have about 1,000 items that need to be sorted and each item marked.

I have a rough start. I made a list of all the items for insurance purposes. Brief description and have many images and many images are keyed to the item. Many of the items had a small stick on labels. and they fell off.

But all this is just paper, handwritten lists.

I want to have a flexible system that can show each item. A system that can mark each item individually.

Please help me find a database/system? For the PC.
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2021, 10:03 AM   #2
Iain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M View Post
Over the last 30 years, we have been collecting artifacts. For insurance purposes, we need to have/create a database that delineates each article, incorporates pictures, descriptions, etc.

We have about 1,000 items that need to be sorted and each item marked.

I have a rough start. I made a list of all the items for insurance purposes. Brief description and have many images and many images are keyed to the item. Many of the items had a small stick on labels. and they fell off.

But all this is just paper, handwritten lists.

I want to have a flexible system that can show each item. A system that can mark each item individually.

Please help me find a database/system? For the PC.
There are quite a few systems out there for managing collections (mainly art) , some are paid subscription services while some like this appear to be free to collectors (https://www.portovenereart.com/#!/home). I can't vouch for any of these but they may prove useful.
Iain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2021, 10:44 AM   #3
Gonzoadler

I use an Excel table to list my pieces and give each of them a number which depends from the item category. For example, a dagger could have the number D0103.
For each piece I made some photos I save together with the Excel table in a folder. The pictures have the item number + the picture number as name, for example D0103_1 for the first picture of a dagger.
Not the most elegant way, but it works and you can use all the functions of Excel.

Regards
Robin
Gonzoadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2021, 10:58 AM   #4
Bill M

Ian, I am looking at your suggestion. Free to collectors. A bit overkill for me. I am looking for an inventory number, description, image (could be multiples), from who I purchased it, and when.

Gonzoadler, I like the simplicity of excel and downloaded a few templates. CHecking to see how to embed images.

I guess I can attach labels with zip ties? Other ideas. I have seen some museum tags are painted in tiny numbers on the items in unobtrusive areas.
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2021, 11:27 AM   #5
Iain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M View Post
Ian, I am looking at your suggestion. Free to collectors. A bit overkill for me. I am looking for an inventory number, description, image (could be multiples), from who I purchased it, and when.

Gonzoadler, I like the simplicity of excel and downloaded a few templates. CHecking to see how to embed images.

I guess I can attach labels with zip ties? Other ideas. I have seen some museum tags are painted in tiny numbers on the items in unobtrusive areas.
In this case pretty much any gallery software will work. Depends if you want it only sitting on your local PC, personally I prefer to keep things cloud based as it removes the issue of hardware failure locally.
Iain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2021, 12:42 PM   #6
Kubur

You can also look at freewares for libairies, books, coins, stamps, wine...
It will work for weapons too.
My advice, take something simple to use otherwise you will never use it.
Kubur is offline   Reply With Quote