Default Cambodian(?) Dhas

Are these truly Cambodian?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA:IT&ih=018
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2008, 08:35 PM   #2
Emanuel

Some years ago there was a thread about a Burmese/Thai/Cambodian made katana. The second dha could be one of these. The other two I don't know. The last one looks crude, the top one looks like it's of fair quality, with maybe silver? fittings. I imagined Cambodian and Laotian dhas to be cruder and poorer than Burmese and Thai ones. I'm not sure if this is correct, it's just a feeling.

Where is the dhafia?
Emanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2008, 08:34 AM   #3
kahnjar1

Smile CAMBODIAN-Probably yes!

Two of these, and one other from the same source are coming to live with me, and when they arrive I will post some better pics. I can tell you that they ALL were sourced in Cambodia by their original owner, during the course of his business there. I also have in my collection, 3 other Dha which are known to have originated in that country. Two have a definate "Tsuba" and probably owe some design origins to Japanese influence, but are DEFINATELY NOT Japanese in origin.
Watch this space for new thread on these when they arrive here.
Regards Stuart
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2008, 02:01 AM   #4
Andrew

Interesting swords. Congratulations, Khanjar. I'll be particularly interested to see some better shots. Maybe some macros.

The second one demonstrates wirework consistent with a sword I thought was older. That one looks early 20th century to me.
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2008, 08:41 AM   #5
kahnjar1

Smile CAMBODIAN ORIGINS - 1

Hi Guys, thought I would put the 3 that I already have in my collection up for comment.
Will do it in seperate pieces so that comments can be placed against each one without confusion.
This one described as KHMER Late 19th Cent/Early 20th Century.
Attached Images

Old 14th April 2008, 08:45 AM   #6
kahnjar1

Post CAMBODIAN ORIGINS - 2

Also described as KHMER but I wonder if this could possibly be a COCHIN SABER? Just by the blade shape? Also what thoughts on the bamboo wrap? Mark kindly had this on the site on my behalf a while ago, but discussion was inconclusive.
Old 14th April 2008, 08:49 AM   #7
kahnjar1

Red face SORRY!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahnjar1
Also described as KHMER but I wonder if this could possibly be a COCHIN SABER? Just by the blade shape? Also what thoughts on the bamboo wrap? Mark kindly had this on the site on my behalf a while ago, but discussion was inconclusive.
Sorry, clicked too fast and forgot the pics!!
Attached Images

Old 14th April 2008, 08:57 AM   #8
kahnjar1

Smile CAMBODIAN ORIGINS - 3

This also described as KHMER. Did wonder about YUNNAN for this as general shape is very similar to anothe Yunnan dha I have. Comparative pic herewith also.
Thats it for now. Regards Stuart
Attached Images

Old 14th April 2008, 04:41 PM   #9
Mark

Its really hard for me to tell from the photos, since I rely a lot on the profile to ID Cambodian dha. The first one looks Lao to me, in the decorative motifs. The second and third I am more inclined to attribute to Cambodia, as the distinctive break in the curve between handle and blade is (I think) visible. Also the last has an upswept tip on the scabbards, which most Cambodian dha seem to have. Ian has several very katana-like dha from Cambodia, as do you I can see, so we can assume that the katana style is fairly common there.

I am aways a bit dubious about the solid cast handles, so I am interested to see details when you get them. I think you are well on your way to becoming a made guy in the Dafia, Stuart.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote