Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 10th August 2011, 11:18 PM   #1
lpa2000

Default my babies,know what they are?

hey guys! Im Mike, im new here and I would like to show you photos of my collection but I am unsure how to post them, anyone know?
lpa2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2011, 08:47 PM   #2
Indianajones

Hi Mike, welcome. Most pics are 'too large' to put directly on this forum so you'l have to 'resize'them (amount pixels); I'm using very easy Irfan view to do this. Its a picture-management-program you have to/can download free. So . . .just google to upload Irfan view (just need the one with the red splashed cat-icon).

When downloaded the program, open the pic(s) with Irfan view (right mouseclick), choose [image] top left and the rest will follow . . .(choose the smallest/littlest size; still good qlty)

It sound much -it did to me- but when this program is downloaded resizing is easy and the Irfan view actually does much more (edit pics in all kind of ways)

Hope it helps?! This is the way I did it. Succes and hope to see your collectionpics soon.
Indianajones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2011, 09:22 PM   #3
Sentrad

Thanks Indianajones, this will help me as well. Udo
Sentrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2011, 10:04 PM   #4
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Links to photo hosting sites are discouraged; please upload your images to the database .

Follow this link for uploading info :
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=13631
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2011, 01:12 AM   #5
lpa2000

here are my babies, I believe I have 2 african masai semes, 1 black sea yataghan, 1 indian tulwar, 1 possibly bhutanese longsword, 1 german longswordmade by jj runkell in solingen germany, and some bayonets.. I have no idea what the guns are, anyone know?
Attached Images

Old 12th August 2011, 06:43 AM   #6
kahnjar1

Hi Mike and Welcome to the Forum.
The blades I will leave to those who know more about them........ but the guns..........The pics do not show detail but from what I can see the cartridge revolver looks like a Colt Lightning. The left hand pistol with the ring trigger and what looks like a bell mouth barrel is like either American or Continental in origin. The double barrel percussion pistol I would say is also continental in origin and likely Belgian. Better pics would be helpful showing any marks or names. If you could please post those I may be able to better identify the items.
Regards Stuart
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2011, 07:04 AM   #7
asomotif

The seme's are cool. really long and narrow. I like that style.

Oh, and welcome ofcourse on the forum

Best regards,
Willem
asomotif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2011, 04:17 PM   #8
katana

Hi lpa2000,
welcome to the forum. I would suggest that the guns, the Runkel blade and the bayonets be posted seperately on the European Forum.

The Seme's , tulwar, yataghan and longsword would be better posted individually in 4 posts on Ethnographic. This will ensure a better response for you.

Kind Regards David
katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2011, 04:46 PM   #9
laEspadaAncha

Hi Mike,

Welcome to the forum - that's a beautiful Black Sea yat...

With regards to the bayonets, I see, clockwise from the top-left, a Danish Mauser, a British P1888 (top-right), a British No. 4 spike bayonet (from WWII), and what appears to be a cruciform socket bayonet, which limits it to one of several patterns... Not sure which one exactly - it doesn't have the profile of a (Russian) Mosin Nagant socket bayonet... If you could post close-up pics of any stamps or marks on the last one, it would help.
laEspadaAncha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2011, 05:41 PM   #10
TVV

The bayonet on the left under the broadsword looks like a Swedish M1898 to me. Just like those who commented before me, I too would like to see the etnographic blades in more detail in separate threads.
Regards,
Teodor
TVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2011, 05:43 PM   #11
Berkley

Hard to tell for sure from the photo, but the lanyard ring in the butt, protruding front trigger guard screw, two-piece wood(?) grips and unusually shaped cylinder pin suggest the revolver may be a Spanish copy of the Colt Single Action Army. Any markings would be helpful for a better identification.
Attached Images

Berkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2011, 06:28 PM   #12
Lew
(deceased)

From the top

2 simis Massai
1 kaskara blade
1 black sea yataghan
1 tulwar and some type of Tibetan sword? All nice examples .
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2011, 06:58 PM   #13
laEspadaAncha

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVV
The bayonet on the left under the broadsword looks like a Swedish M1898 to me. Just like those who commented before me, I too would like to see the etnographic blades in more detail in separate threads.
Regards,
Teodor

You are absolutely correct. Not sure why I erroneously "knee jerk" those as Danish Mausers, but I did the same thing not once, but twice, within the past 2-3 months. Thanks for the correction...
laEspadaAncha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2011, 07:04 PM   #14
Atlantia

Hi LPA2000,

Welcome to the forums.

I'd like to see a thread about your black sea yataghan! They are beautiful and worthy of further investigation.

Congrats on a great collection,

Best
Gene
Atlantia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2011, 08:43 PM   #15
TVV

Quote:
Originally Posted by laEspadaAncha
You are absolutely correct. Not sure why I erroneously "knee jerk" those as Danish Mausers, but I did the same thing not once, but twice, within the past 2-3 months. Thanks for the correction...
I mix up Mannlicher M88 and M95 bayonets all the time, and I have a dozen of them, so I can relate. The etnographic items are a lot more interesting than the bayos anyway.
Teodor
TVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2011, 10:11 PM   #16
lpa2000

Thanks guys! ill take better pictures for sure! its nice to be among fellow weapon lovers, I worked like a dog finding these babies, and am going to post single threads about the more unique ones

Thanks for welcoming me! for those who didnt catch it my name is Mike
Old 13th August 2011, 02:09 AM   #17
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

The sword at the lower right may be an old Collins machete .
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2011, 02:49 AM   #18
Robert
EAAF Staff

Hello Mike and welcome to the forum. Again I'll go with Rick on this and say looks to be a Collins Engineer Type 1 Bolo machete Model No. 1005. Better pictures would help but it should have COLLINS & CO./HARTFORD/No. 1005 stamped into the blade. That is a very nice collection you have and I hope to see you post each item in its own thread.

Robert
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2011, 03:53 AM   #19
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Mike, I'd like to join in welcoming you, and thank you for a great entry with this outstanding grouping. This is an excellent example of true collecting in that one does not need a huge collection, just discerningly selected examples representing diverse areas. Each of these has its own intriguing history, and I agree with those who have suggested putting each on thier own thread. I think you'll find that the ensuing detail from these will add some great perspective, and we all enjoy learning from every example shown here.

For example, the unusual heavy curved blade weapon at bottom, I honestly had no clue, but Rick astutely noted it was a Collins machete.....then Robert adds outstanding detail! In a single thread, others with focus on machetes can zero in on the thread and add more, and more examples turn up.

Personally I am intrigued by the German broadsword blade marked to J.J.Runkel. This blade is remarkably similar to blades that are found on Sudanese kaskaras in the latter 19th century, however J.J.Runkel marks suggest the opening years of the 19th century. Runkel was actually a London based German importer rather than a maker, and I believe these type blades were for military broadswords for Scottish units as well as the M1796 heavy cavalry officers dress swords. I'd like to see individual photos on this and the markings.

The Black Sea yataghan is a fascinating weapon, and has been the subject of many discussions here, and actually was finally identified somewhat conclusively as a Laz 'bichagi' used by these tribal groups in various Turkish regions from c.1850s ino the early 20th century. Under Black Sea yataghan on the 'search' feature here you will see some of these discussions. As Gene has well pointed out however, these have, like most weapons, a lot more to be learned about them.

The bayonets are often a tough call as they do often look so much alike and the basic forms were used by many countries over long periods, so many times the most subtle nuances are key to final ID. Similar dilemmas come up with firearms such as the Colt, which was produced in considerable numbers and as Berkeley has pointed out, sometimes by other countries. I have familiarity but little distinct knowledge on firearms, but have found that 'Man at Arms' magazine has been one of the most outstanding resources on guns around. I'm quite sure with thier huge corpus of material on Colts in thier issues since 1979, probably there is some detail on these Colts of M1877 form with the butt lanyard, possibly Spanish.

Again Mike, welcome, and very, very nice weapons..Thank you!

All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2011, 09:57 AM   #20
tom hyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Coleman
Hello Mike and welcome to the forum. Again I'll go with Rick on this and say looks to be a Collins Engineer Type 1 Bolo machete Model No. 1005. Better pictures would help but it should have COLLINS & CO./HARTFORD/No. 1005 stamped into the blade. That is a very nice collection you have and I hope to see you post each item in its own thread.

Robert
Marks on these are typically very faint, for some reason, and some were produced "sterile" (unmarked) for "black ops"
AFAIK no other manufacturer is known to have made them.
Interestingly these seem to be based on "machete filipiana" to which they bear a superficial resemblance (though being much heavier)
tom hyle is offline   Reply With Quote