Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 24th August 2008, 08:12 AM   #1
Gavin Nugent

Default Late Ching Double Jian

A late Ching double jian, something that is not uncommon. Although this type of sword is not available in the market place every day it is considered one of the more common patterns found in Chinese weaponry. I was more taken by it's pristine condition and bargain basement price than rarity. The blades do not appear to be patterned steel, I have not yet delved into trying to get something to surface, for now it will just sit amongst my other Chinese swords.
A picture is worth a thousand words.

Gav
Attached Images

Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2008, 07:05 PM   #2
josh stout

That is a very nice shuang jian. The fittings are all authentic looking, and the horn handle is nicely done. It all looks so new though. Why do you think it is Qing? I don't see any evidence of age. These shuang jian are often targets for reproduction. Lack of pattern welding can be the determining factor.
I saw another jian in your collection that also made me wonder. You have a fushu jian with tortoise shell on the scabbard, but the tortoise shell looks like it is the wrong color. I would be interested to know what you think because I have seen several single and double tortoiseshell fushu jian on eBay recently with wrong color tortoise shell and I have avoided bidding on them. Perhaps I have been wrong, and some were made from a strange yellow tortoise shell, but I doubt it.

Please let me know.
Thanks,
Josh
josh stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2008, 08:11 AM   #3
Gavin Nugent

Default They are the real macoy Josh

Thanks for coming in Josh.

I do correspond with Chinese collectors before I buy a lot of my Chinese weapons, these collectors are well known in China for their rare and fabulous collections.
As they no longer add to their collections, they do offer advice freely to me...I do remember comment passed here on the Yazi guard of the long Jian I have, it was said that it should look more smooth such as this one on the shuang jian, that is in fact incorrect according to these collectors, the chiselled effect is quite acceptable and notable, in the hand it too does not look out of place. The guard on this shuang jian is considered to be over sanded and rounded, more commonly found on the late Ching jian.
As for the yellow tortoise shell scabbards, I do hope the images I present reveal the mystery on the yellow for you and you can venture forth and secure a couple if you desire. These too are not that uncommon and do not at this stage command a very high price in my eyes, I usually stumble across one every few months..

regards

Gav
Attached Images

Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2008, 05:38 PM   #4
josh stout

Ah, I see the yellow under painting. Do you think this could be a sign of later ones made for tourists? Mine looks a bit older and has a no under painting and a laminated blade. Of course the tortoiseshell is all falling off.

Sorry to appear to malign your collection. When you have something in hand it is much easier to see what is going on.

As I said, the fittings on the shuang jian look absolutely authentic; it is just that the whole thing looks so new. Was it restored in some way? I can't tell from the photo.

Thanks for the help.
Josh
josh stout is offline   Reply With Quote