Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 30th December 2010, 01:34 AM   #1
laEspadaAncha

Default Strange Dagger in 16th Century Dutch Painting

In making the rounds at a local museum yesterday, I saw and photographed some interesting examples of weapons depicted in 16th century European art. Here is a painting by Dutch artist Hieronymus Bosch that dates to 1515 entitled The Arrest of Christ. The ballock dagger with the rondel is interesting enough and raises some questions... I was unaware of such "hybrid" daggers - were they common?

But what really had me scratching my head is the dagger shown in the upper-right corner. The deep belly, strongly-curved edge, hilt design (including the guard and pommel) are all foreign to me (both literally and figuratively). Does anyone know what kind of dagger this is? Does anyone have any photographs of other examples they can share?

laEspadaAncha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2010, 01:33 PM   #2
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Fascinating Hieronymus.
The conspicuous dent on the blade edge and the detail of the maker's mark ... as if this specific dagger example has really existed.
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2010, 04:12 PM   #3
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando
Fascinating Hieronymus.
The conspicuous dent on the blade edge and the detail of the maker's mark ... as if this specific dagger example has really existed.
I suppose...but this is Bosch we are talking about. Take a good look at any of his paintings and it becomes obvious that we can never take for granted that anything in them was painted as an exact representation of the real world.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2010, 05:36 PM   #4
laEspadaAncha

So am I to assume from these posts that you two are of the opinion his caricature-like depictions extended to include the weapons he painted as well?

I ask as in the few other examples of his work I have viewed (this is the only one I have seen in person), his portrayal of small items of detail - namely articles of clothing, accouterments, and weaponry - seems to receive a treatment of realism that runs contrary to his style. For instance, look at the bottom of the third panel of his triptych the Garden of Earthly Delights, where in addition to a more typical rondel dagger there are about a half-dozen other edged weapons depicted with accuracy and detail without a hint of exaggeration...

What is interesting in this example of his work is the portrayal of the same blade protruding from between the ears in the same (3rd) panel...
Old 30th December 2010, 05:45 PM   #5
laEspadaAncha

Here's a close-up of the hybrid ballock-rondel dagger shown in The Arrest of Christ... What I find interesting about this is we see style elements of the earliest pre-Jacobite dirks (e.g., disc pommel and ballock lobes) that were to evolve from Highland ballock daggers over the next century.

Old 30th December 2010, 07:10 PM   #6
Matchlock
(deceased)

Location: Bavaria, Germany - the center of 15th and 16th century gunmaking

The hilt and pommel remind me of the Swiss type of dagger but the 'Malchus' shaped extremely curved blade clearly seems to reflect Oriental influence.

On the one hand, we cannot generally rule out that such a type of dagger actually existed. On the other, as David and Fernando have put out, this is Hieronymus Bosch. He is well known for his satirical, drastically overdrawn and 'fantasy' style of paintings, their characters and old style equipment. Often his paintings contain allusions to old sayings, and the faces, bodies and accouterments of his persons are both surrealistically and cinically distorted. His range of grotesque fantasy was unique among the late medieval/early Renaissance painters.

Of course, the formal style of the first dagger shows characteristic late Gothic elements, so it may not be pure fiction. The ballock dagger obviously is completely authentic.

Anyway, this is a really great thread as it shares my love of period artwork sources - they are most important when it comes to discussing original objects!

Best,
Michael
Matchlock is offline   Reply With Quote