Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 20th December 2012, 08:44 AM   #11
kai

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark379
Hi I like to share my old moro keris which have Talismanic symbols....and i like also to consult this sword about its age, whether it is 19th or 20th century..... by the way about the cloth cover of the sword i think it was put later on, but the wooden scabbard is quit look old already and its handle..
Sorry, overlooked your original posting. Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing this nice kris!

While adding it to this talismanic gallery is certainly warranted, I believe it would also deserve to be discussed in a seperate thread of its own - please also add dimensions and confirm that the sampir/gangya is seperate!

IMHO this kris is definitely Moro craftmanship: blade probably Maguindanao including the nice danganan hilt; the grip braiding with the exposed silver strips is reminiscent of the upper Cota Bato region. I'd estimate it originates from the last quarter of the 19th century. The textile and bead work on the scabbard is obviously Lumad - a closer look may allow to identify the tribe and period; the wooden scabbard also looks Lumad to me. Alas, a Moro kris that received a Lumad scabbard after changing owners on Mindanao. Congrats, nice find!

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote