Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 5th September 2012, 07:02 PM   #1
naborow

Default Indo-Persian Dhal Shield more info

Supposedly acquired in India in 1906.

please confirm Indo Persian Dhal shield? engraved with procession scenes including elephants and chariots. Detail brass or gold?
19th C??

somebody described a similar one on internet as "reinforced Steel Rim with inner "scalloped" overlay for stopping arrows." Wouldn't the whole thing be used for stopping arrows?
Any insight into what part of India?? Tribe?

this is starting to rust ( i guess because I stored improperly) Should i be afraid to rub it with anything. Ok to take just clean cotton cloth and wipe at it a bit?
(sorry if i posted twice i'm quite sure i sent this one in but can't find it)
naborow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2012, 06:48 PM   #2
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by naborow
Supposedly acquired in India in 1906.

please confirm Indo Persian Dhal shield? engraved with procession scenes including elephants and chariots. Detail brass or gold?
19th C??

somebody described a similar one on internet as "reinforced Steel Rim with inner "scalloped" overlay for stopping arrows." Wouldn't the whole thing be used for stopping arrows?
Any insight into what part of India?? Tribe?

this is starting to rust ( i guess because I stored improperly) Should i be afraid to rub it with anything. Ok to take just clean cotton cloth and wipe at it a bit?
(sorry if i posted twice i'm quite sure i sent this one in but can't find it)

Salaams ~~ Can you show a photo please?...Regards Ibrahiim al Balooshi
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2012, 09:25 PM   #3
naborow

sorry about pics must be doing something wrong
Attached Images

naborow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2012, 05:00 PM   #4
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by naborow
sorry about pics must be doing something wrong
Salaams naborow ~ Interesting shield displaying a variety of scenes including the main band of decoration with the cyclic pattern of the procession of people horses camels and elephants ..The entire shield then decorated in what looks like gold Koftgari work. The outer band of work seems to be blackened background or Neilo work... achieved by using acid and a sulphurous mixture to obtain the black colour. As usual the 4 hand grip covers seen on the front are nicely cut and decorated . I wonder if the initial pattern on these shields was done by spinning~ and old technique going back to the 11th Century where the object being worked was spun on a heavy lathe like contraption and the patterning die was rammed into the work at speed giving the basic imprint onto the plate or shield being spun... and after refinished by hand. Spinning. Often detected by a large centering dot in the "centre" of the work.
Presumably this Indian Dhal was a parade item? Circa 1900?

If you do decide to clean it ~ Be careful that you do not clean off the black Neilo ... avoid cleaning solutions altogether on the outer Neilo ring. (In fact dont even go onto that section !) Use no agressive materials or chemicals and ... oh well you know ... do a bit at a time and see what works best starting off with hot soapy water probably going no further up the acid scale than pineapple juice or coke cola... always rinse the work off with clean hot water at the end of each session and dry... keep off the Koftgari !
Personally I would give the entire outer section a miss and focus on the main processional ring. See what it looks like after it has been washed in hot soapy water then rinsed.

The other alternative is to do nothing and present the shield with the helmet and a sword on a stand... very nice.

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 7th September 2012 at 05:41 PM.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2012, 10:25 PM   #5
Atlantia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrahiim al Balooshi
Salaams naborow ~ Interesting shield displaying a variety of scenes including the main band of decoration with the cyclic pattern of the procession of people horses camels and elephants ..The entire shield then decorated in what looks like gold Koftgari work. The outer band of work seems to be blackened background or Neilo work... achieved by using acid and a sulphurous mixture to obtain the black colour. As usual the 4 hand grip covers seen on the front are nicely cut and decorated . I wonder if the initial pattern on these shields was done by spinning~ and old technique going back to the 11th Century where the object being worked was spun on a heavy lathe like contraption and the patterning die was rammed into the work at speed giving the basic imprint onto the plate or shield being spun... and after refinished by hand. Spinning. Often detected by a large centering dot in the "centre" of the work.
Presumably this Indian Dhal was a parade item? Circa 1900?

If you do decide to clean it ~ Be careful that you do not clean off the black Neilo ... avoid cleaning solutions altogether on the outer Neilo ring. (In fact dont even go onto that section !) Use no agressive materials or chemicals and ... oh well you know ... do a bit at a time and see what works best starting off with hot soapy water probably going no further up the acid scale than pineapple juice or coke cola... always rinse the work off with clean hot water at the end of each session and dry... keep off the Koftgari !
Personally I would give the entire outer section a miss and focus on the main processional ring. See what it looks like after it has been washed in hot soapy water then rinsed.

The other alternative is to do nothing and present the shield with the helmet and a sword on a stand... very nice.

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

Bonjour Ibrahiim

The 'black niello' looks like silver koftgari that has just oxidised to black to me.

OP. Rub a small area with newspaper. If it's silver it'll quickly start to remove the oxidisation, if it's niello it won't harm it.
Atlantia is offline   Reply With Quote