Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 2nd November 2007, 07:21 PM   #1
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Default Please help on African piece

The only thing i know for sure is the blade length, which measures 13" (33 cms.).
I did it some cleaning with penetrating oil and that rough green part of the dish washing spounge.
I diden't touch the scabbard and the hilt, also i am convinced that some varnishy stuff was added to both. Whereas in the scabbard it looks quite neutral, maybe even a propper finish, on the hilt it looks as even it has a paint colour ... i don't know. It is highly sensitive to scratching
The "baloon" twisted wiring is copper and so is the double dented "washer" between the grip and the pommel, which is in iron. The skin on the grip would look the same as in the scabbard, if it weren't covered by that finishing stuff.
I would love to receive coments on origin and possible date, as well as the skin used and possible stitching material ... and or whatever you Gentlemen would care to say about this piece, like: Should i wash or dilute off that stuff from the hilt, skin and or metalic parts ?
Thanks a lot
Fernando.
Attached Images

fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2007, 08:09 PM   #2
Lew
(deceased)

Yaka tribe sword and a very nice one at that.

Lew
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2007, 08:26 PM   #3
fernando

Thank you very much indeed Lew, for giving me the vital answer.
Any more coments, Gentlemen?
Like answers to my other questions ?
I would be so much obliged
Old 3rd November 2007, 01:20 PM   #4
Freddy

Arrow

Hi, Fernando.

Indeed a very nice Yaka sword.

The discolouration of the leather handle is, in my opinion, due to the handling of the sword. It comes from the 'sweat' or 'grease' on the hands of the former Congolese owner. I would touch the leather parts. These things make the piece original.

It's very difficult to put a date on African weapons, but I would think this one is pre 1960's.

Here are the handles of my two pieces :

Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2007, 03:15 PM   #5
fernando

Thanks a lot Freddy
I will surely follow your advice and will not touch it.
I can't see the blade tips on your excelent examples, but meanwhile i had a look to these swords in the Net, after knowing their name and origin, and i am convinced that the blade tip of my example was shortened for some reason. This judging by the general length of the various ones i observed and specially because the double line dot design on the ridge stops abruptly at the blade tip, and not with the due harmony. Also comparing to its scabbard length, this blade could be at least some 5 cms longer. Wouldn't you agree ??
I thank you for the estimate on the age which, i confess, was a bucket of cold water over me. I keep thinking these pieces are much older then what they really are, influenced by the judging of European stuff.
To my preference, i would never acquire pieces newer than 19th century ... exceptions considered. At least the price of this one was quite convenient, looking to the prices i see in the Net ... but still i am unsatisfied
Thanks again for your help
Dank je wel
Fernando
Old 3rd November 2007, 04:44 PM   #6
Freddy

Arrow

The blades on Yaka-swords can differ. I already saw many blades with similar shapes like the one you have. Mine are just a bit different (that's why I bought them )

I think I already showed them, but here they are again.

The one on the left is atypical as it has the hilt of a Yaka-sword, but the blade of a Songye-sword. So is it Yaka or Songye, it's up to you. Blades travelled throughout Africa as currency, so anything can happen.

The 'normal' Yaka-sword (on the right) is quite a large piece. It measures about 70 cm ! It's heavy and well forged. Besides the dotted lines, there's also a zigzag design.

Unfortunately, I don't have scabbard for these pieces.
Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2007, 08:00 PM   #7
fernando

Thank you Freddy, your two blades are indeed cool .
But precisely as i mentioned, also in your examples the incized lines terminate together before the blade ends.
Thyst's why i thaught my blade was shortened, not because of the blade shape alone.
In the attached picture i try to transmit the idea, both in the incized pattern ending and in the space left in the scabbard, comparing to other example.
However i fully accept your observation that my blade was originaly like it is now.
In the next picture i am showing some pieces that i left behind, when i bought the Yaka sword. The guy would sell them cheap, but i found no interest at the m oment. Due to some browsing i have ben doing, i am now convinced that they are also Yaka. I call your attention for the one with the convex blade and the black shaft. Unlike the other two, this is not an arrow but a Yaka "scraping tool". I found that it is used to scrap some weed, but i don't know what is envolved in such operation.
Have you ever seen one of this, or know its actual scraping intention ?
Obviously you don't have to care about all this story at all .
All the best
Fernando
Attached Images

Last edited by fernando; 3rd November 2007 at 08:17 PM.