Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 3rd November 2014, 07:19 PM   #1
spiral

Id guess as there different opinions over continents dating may be difficult. Id say definably pre.ww2 though... I wouldn't rule out late 19th century... etching to see the steel types would help that to a degree , I guess.

Looking at bolster & marks... this thread seems like they may be from a similar region...

spiral

linky
spiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2014, 08:41 PM   #2
Gavin Nugent

Can't find it for the life of me but I do show a Kaskara with the stamps to the blade which these knives commonly carry...maybe someone else has the patience to dig through the posts.

Mods/Webmaster, a double drill down word search ability would certainly help with digging and research, i.e; once a word search is done and the list of posts is provided, there is another search function specifically available for those links presented.

Gavin
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2014, 09:56 PM   #3
Sajen

There are several threads where this knives are discussed and never someone was able to pin down the origin, I've read Skandinavian, North Africa, Central Asia, Burma and the North of India. I personally would say somewhere between the last three, they have an Asian appearance to my eyes and I nearly want to bet that we have to look here to find the exact origin. Maybe the maker stamps can help by this.
Here can be seen more of this knives: http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ghlight=khodmi

Last edited by Sajen; 3rd November 2014 at 10:14 PM.
Sajen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2014, 12:21 AM   #4
Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwordsAntiqueWeapons
Can't find it for the life of me but I do show a Kaskara with the stamps to the blade which these knives commonly carry...maybe someone else has the patience to dig through the posts.

Mods/Webmaster, a double drill down word search ability would certainly help with digging and research, i.e; once a word search is done and the list of posts is provided, there is another search function specifically available for those links presented.

Gavin
Likely would require a complete forum software upgrade, Gav.
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2014, 01:41 AM   #5
ariel

They were just discussed on a Russian forum Guns.ru

I thought they were SE Asian, but to my chagrin learned they were from West Africa, Yao tribe, Malawi. Apparently concentric circles are a dead giveaway.
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2014, 02:06 AM   #6
Oliver Pinchot

Ariel, according to the Russian site, were there any other characteristics which place these daggers in W. Africa? The bird's eye motif-- those concentric circles with a point in the center-- are found in many locales, notably Afghanistan. I wouldn't attribute anything to a culture based solely on that characteristic.
Oliver Pinchot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2014, 06:53 AM   #7
Martin Lubojacky

I think (I really do not know, just estimate) the uverall shape is not African, either North or south of Sahara (after my 12 years spent and travelling there). The similiarity with chodmi is accidental. Despite the concentric circles.
Regards,
Martin
Martin Lubojacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2014, 11:40 PM   #8
Lee
EAAF Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwordsAntiqueWeapons
Use Google as I do when looking for old threads...

Exactly as Emanuel shows
"site:www.vikingsword.com/vb kaskara"

/vb - new forum
/ubb - archive forum
or omit for site-wide
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote