Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 2nd January 2021, 05:06 PM   #1
ariel

Default Baluchistan/Omani shamshir

I haven't posted anything new in a while.
So, gentlemen ( and ladies, if Tatiana drops by), here is my new baby.
We have discussed them briefly in the past, and our discussions had a range of contributions from an amusing assertion that Baluch and Baloch were different people to Erik's wonderful picture that nailed down the attribution of these shamshirs to Sindh/ Baluchistan.

In brief: complete with intact scabbard and baldric, Persian wootz blade signed by Muhammad Yusuf Misri (" the Egyptian") as per seller, silver, turquoise, chasing ... in short, the works.

I am very happy: was looking for one of those for a long time and finally got one of a very high quality.

Isn't she pretty? Just adorable:-)
Attached Images

ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2021, 05:07 PM   #2
ariel

I continue for a while.
How would we date it? My guess 19th century, but Kwiatek can be able to fish out additional info from the stamp.
Attached Images

Old 2nd January 2021, 05:26 PM   #3
Battara
EAAF Staff

I usually don't get into this form of shamshir, but Ariel this is a great example! I love the complete mounts and the extra stones in it. The ring on the hilt is a nice touch. The other mounts and the cloth accoutrements are wonderful. Nice wootz blade too.

Are there clearer close ups of the top of the hilt?

Thanks for sharing this piece with us!
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2021, 05:34 PM   #4
TVV

Happy New Year Ariel, and congratulations on this excellent acquisition. This is as nice as it can get and I actually liked it more than some other shamshirs that sold for more at the auction, so I think you did really well. I cannot recall others with the original baldric nicely preserved like this.
TVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2021, 07:40 PM   #5
mariusgmioc

Happy New Year!

Wow!
mariusgmioc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2021, 08:42 PM   #6
Drabant1701

That is a very nice sword. A sword that complete is a rare find.
Congratulations!
Drabant1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2021, 09:56 PM   #7
Gonzoadler

Great Shamshir.
That is a rich present to yourself, ariel.
Gonzoadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2021, 10:43 PM   #8
ALEX

Ariel, an impressive shamshir. The baldric is awesome. It'd be interesting to hear the opinions on dating, hopefully Kwiatek and others will have more insights. Also, you mentioned Sindh and Baluchistan, and so it is Pakistani, not Indian, right?
ALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2021, 03:15 PM   #9
ariel

My best guess it dates to the 19th century.
History of Balochistan is complex. Balochistan belonged to Afghanistan, but eastern Balochistan was captured by Nader Shah and became part of Iran. After the fall of Durrani dynasty, Balochistan became factually independent, but in the 1870s and especially after the second Afghani war it became part of British India with the exception of Gwadar that belonged to Oman. After the great division of British India in 1948 it was captured by Pakistan. Gwadar was sold to Pakistan in 1958, but even now about a third of Omanis are descendants of Baloch immigrants.

Thus, and using our current geography it may be “ Baloch”, “Afghani” Indian”, “Pakistani” or “ Omani”.

Since I place it in the 19th century it could not have been Pakistani: Pakistan did not exist yet. IMHO, the most correct one would be “Indian” or “Omani”. Further hairsplitting: since these swords are usually attributed(!) to Hyderabad in Sindh, we could attribute it to British India. Although, had it been made before the infamous “ Peccavi” ( I have sinned) by general Napier in 1843, we should call it Sindhi.

Go figure....

However, geography and history aside, it carries both “Indian” and Omani features..
Thus, as we have discussed earlier, we can call it Baloch, Hyderabadi, Sindhi, Indo-Arab etc.

I love these mixes, both geographical and repurposed:-)
Old 6th January 2021, 05:56 PM   #10
Kubur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel

Thus, and using our current geography it may be “ Baloch”, “Afghani” Indian”, “Pakistani” or “ Omani”.

Thus, as we have discussed earlier, we can call it Baloch, Hyderabadi, Sindhi, Indo-Arab etc.
I agree but it seems that Iran/ Persian has been forgotten somewhere.

Let me add

Thus, and using our current geography it may be “ Baloch”, "Farsi", “Afghani” Indian”, “Pakistani” or “ Omani”.

Thus, as we have discussed earlier, we can call it Baloch, Hyderabadi, Sindhi, Indo-Arab Indo-Persian etc.

When you look at the sword: blade, quillons, pommel, leather on the scabbard, the Persian influence is obvious...

Kubur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2021, 07:51 PM   #11
ALEX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubur
... When you look at the sword: blade, quillons, pommel, leather on the scabbard, the Persian influence is obvious...
I had the very same thought, strong Persian influence and Pakistani workmanship. Persia is also closest neighbor to Baluchistan I believe.
ALEX is offline   Reply With Quote